Replies: 10399
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 03:39:45 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Biggie Smiles

The Consequences of Overpaying Unskilled Labor

Started by Renee, June 09, 2018, 01:41:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aryan

I think train drivers get around £15 an hour here, I'd certainly do the job, but it's hard getting your foot in the door.

Aryan

Quote from: "iron horse jockey"
Quote from: "seoulbro"
Quote from: "Renee"We all knew this was coming....

I've talked about this a lot.

I don't go into any McDonald's often, but when I do they always have a kiosk . Rapid increases in minimum wages for jobs that are disappearing anyway is foolish. The better option to help low wage workers like Scouse would be to take them off of federal and provincial tax collection roles. Workers and small business owners would have more money in their pockets.

Sellout boy supports big companies like McDonald's over people working in poverty. I'm really surprised. :001_rolleyes:

Seoul's a cuck beta male. He might have a high flying job in the city, but can he get it up for his missus? I think we all know the answer. ac_toofunny

Anonymous

Quote from: "SCOUSE"I think train drivers get around £15 an hour here, I'd certainly do the job, but it's hard getting your foot in the door.

Commuter train drivers are not hog heads and that's where the confusion comes in. My job doesn't exist in Britain.

Aryan

No idea what a hog head is, but working for  British Rail is a decent job here in England. However even being offered employment collecting tickets on trains is hard to get due to the above average wages being offered and the amount of people applying.

Anonymous

Quote from: "SCOUSE"No idea what a hog head is, but working for  British Rail is a decent job here in England. However even being offered employment collecting tickets on trains is hard to get due to the above average wages being offered and the amount of people applying.

That's what confuses Total Dunce and Dinky Freud. Freight trains are real trains and commuter rail isn't. A conductor on commuter rail checks passenger tickets. Trains can be 15 thousand feet long and obviously have no passengers. Just a conductor who builds trains, sets out cars, sets brakes, calls signals, takes clearances, throws switches, references the sub timetable and deals with the RTC. The locomotive engineer is the only other person on monster trains. Commuter rail and. Trains are totally different kettles of fish.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Dinky Dianna"

I'm not surprised. You drive trains. There's not a huge amount of skill in it. You need collectivism to keep your position.

Wrong. At the very least, locomotive engineer is a journeyman position. A more accurate comparison would be a pilot x number of hours are needed in the cab or in the case of a plane, a cockpit for certification. That doesn't include simulator training which locomotive engineers and pilots both need. Nor does it include required classroom hours.

We are talking about three mile long freight trains, not going back and forth on a little passenger service. A lot of math and physics involved. Plus a hell of a lot of responsibility.

This is a backgrounder on requirements to move from brakeman to locomotive engineer on class one freight railways in Canada.

http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/SOR-87-150/FullText.html">http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regu ... lText.html">http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/SOR-87-150/FullText.html

Frood

Well, Herman, I drove a freight train with none of that stuff. Doesn't make a qualified driver but also doesn't mean I can't remark how relatively simple a job it is and how weaksauce it is for unionists in that sector to pretend otherwise.
Blahhhhhh...

Anonymous

Quote from: "Dinky Dianna"Well, Herman, I drove a freight train with none of that stuff. Doesn't make a qualified driver but also doesn't mean I can't remark how relatively simple a job it is and how weaksauce it is for unionists in that sector to pretend otherwise.

You and TD keep thinking it's a driving job. It isn't. Passenger trains are, I'll give you that.

Frood

Quote from: "Herman"
Quote from: "Dinky Dianna"Well, Herman, I drove a freight train with none of that stuff. Doesn't make a qualified driver but also doesn't mean I can't remark how relatively simple a job it is and how weaksauce it is for unionists in that sector to pretend otherwise.

You and TD keep thinking it's a driving job. It isn't. Passenger trains are, I'll give you that.

Sorry, Herman but it's mostly driving once things are running. Though I agree that sparkies do even less than freight train operators.
Blahhhhhh...

Anonymous

Sorry, Herman but it's mostly driving once things are running. Though I agree that sparkies do even less than freight train operators.

And pilots jobs are pretty easy too once they reach cruising altitude(if all goes well). But, it takes a shit load of hours in the seat of a plane or freight train to know how to deal with any changes that inevitably come along. Not to mention all the rules and regulations they must know. Neither are easy gigs. Both jobs are unionized and pay well because they both have so much responsibility and require so much knowledge.

Anonymous

I'm not surprised. You drive trains. There's not a huge amount of skill in it. You need collectivism to keep your position.

Wrong. At the very least, locomotive engineer is a journeyman position. A more accurate comparison would be a pilot x number of hours are needed in the cab or in the case of a plane, a cockpit for certification. That doesn't include simulator training which locomotive engineers and pilots both need. Nor does it include required classroom hours.

We are talking about three mile long freight trains, not going back and forth on a little passenger service. A lot of math and physics involved. Plus a hell of a lot of responsibility.

This is a backgrounder on requirements to move from brakeman to locomotive engineer on class one freight railways in Canada.

http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/SOR-87-150/FullText.html">http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regu ... lText.html">http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/SOR-87-150/FullText.html

That seems obvious enough Herman.

Frood

And pilots jobs are pretty easy too once they reach cruising altitude(if all goes well). But, it takes a shit load of hours in the seat of a plane or freight train to know how to deal with any changes that inevitably come along. Not to mention all the rules and regulations they must know. Neither are easy gigs. Both jobs are unionized and pay well because they both have so much responsibility and require so much knowledge.

No, both jobs are unionized because they're far easier jobs than people realize and those in the jobs couldn't keep their easy and higher paying jobs without hiding behind union skirts and pretending they're 'engineers' when they're actually just glorified drivers.
Blahhhhhh...

Anonymous

No, both jobs are unionized because they're far easier jobs than people realize and those in the jobs couldn't keep their easy and higher paying jobs without hiding behind union skirts and pretending they're 'engineers' when they're actually just glorified drivers.

I couldn't do either job and neither could you. It takes years of practice and annual in class time to do both of them.

Frood

I've done enough of freight train driving to understand what little is involved. Glorified truck drivers.
Blahhhhhh...

Anonymous

I couldn't do either job and neither could you. It takes years of practice and annual in class time to do both of them.

I  remember a former poster here trying to say anyone could be an electrician like my husband..

Most of the time they are just splicing wires.

:001_rolleyes: