Replies: 10401
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 06:19:55 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Lab Flaker

It's too expensive to live in Vancouver's suburbs

Started by JOE, June 20, 2018, 01:32:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JOE

...with the cost of fuel, taking a vehicle into town to work or for leisure is turning into an expensive proposition.

Gas is at about $1.60 CDN or higher in or near Vancouver.

That's about 3.785 x 1.60 = $6.00 per US gallon or about $4.50 - 5 US per US Gallon.

Cost of public transportation isn't cheap either.

Round trip of takin the bus inside the city is the cost of a small meal - sandwich or hamburger.

Rents are pretty high wherever you go.

There doesn't seem to be that much of a difference in rents between the burbs and the City.

Plus the cost of food seems to be higher the farther out a person goes.

So all these costs added up seem to de-incentivize people living far away from the City centers unless all their activity, work and leisure happens to be out in the 'burbs, in which case it makes sense.

Anyways, Greater Vancouver is pretty sprawling now.

A person can drive upwards of a 100 miles in Vancouver each way now, depending on how far away they live

http://www.greatervancouverhotels.com/images/metrovancouvermap.jpg">

But I suppose this aint much different from any standard Canadian or American metropolis now.

How's the cost comparison where you live these days?

Anonymous

Quote from: "JOE"...with the cost of fuel, taking a vehicle into town to work or for leisure is turning into an expensive proposition.

That's about 3.785 x 1.60 = $6.00 per US gallon or about $4.50 - 5 US per US Gallon.

Round trip of takin the bus inside the city is the cost of a small meal - sandwich or hamburger.

There doesn't seem to be that much of a difference in rents between the burbs and the City.

So all these costs added up seem to de-incentivize people living far away from the City centers unless all their activity, work and leisure happens to be out in the 'burbs, in which case it makes sense.

A person can drive upwards of a 100 miles in Vancouver each way now, depending on how far away they live

But I suppose this aint much different from any standard Canadian or American metropolis now.

Gasoline is a $124.9 per litre in Calgary right now I believe..

Rents and housing prices are flat..

Food prices have jumped since our carbon tax came into effect..

Actually, everything except housing became more expensive since the carbon tax became law.

Berry Sweet

It's bloody stupid here.  Meanwhile...the mayor of Vancouver wants to expand the bike share program...what a tard.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Fashionista"
Quote from: "JOE"...with the cost of fuel, taking a vehicle into town to work or for leisure is turning into an expensive proposition.

Gasoline is a $124.9 per litre in Calgary right now I believe..

Rents and housing prices are flat..

Food prices have jumped since our carbon tax came into effect..

Actually, everything except housing became more expensive since the carbon tax became law.

That's close to what we are paying for gas. It's $1.22 a litre.

JOE

Recently the BC regional transport authority Translink proposed to meter the subway rides and eliminate the 3 zone system.  So of course thats gonna make it even more expensive for the suburb dwellers to take the subway in further deincentivizing people to live far away.  More people will opt to live close to tge city center. The powers that be have essentially created a situation where people will be forced to live close to work to avoid high transpirtatuon costs, making the inner city more congested than it already is.

Angry White Male

This is not the place to come if you do not have money.  It is not the place that I grew up in.

We are actually experiencing "White Flight" here now also.  Wages here are stagnant, and cost of living is extreme.

Basically Vancouver is becoming a playground for rich Hongers to park their asses and their money here, as the political climate here is more stable than in China.

Only immigrants now find this place desirable, and they are used to congestion, small spaces, and a quality of life that is still better than what they are used to at home, but a loss of quality of life when viewed from White eyes.

I have my work here (rates are stagnant thanks to immigration), but my only connection left to this place is the fact that I was born here.  My condo value goes up and up, but there isn't a day that passes where I don't think about packing up and getting the fuck outta this place.

Drive through Vancouver proper when the schools let out...  ONE fucking white kid will exit amongst about 100 coloured's, mostly Yellow.  That is a ratio that I do not exaggerate.

The big city is also the cold city.  You'd think with this many fucking people all crammed into a small space, that you'd have a better chance of meeting people.  WRONG!  This paradox seems to hold true to other big cities also...  The bigger the city, the more isolated the people become from one another.  Small towns have a different vibe and character...  More friendly.

Anonymous

Vancouver is a good city...for rich progs who don't need to work.

JOE

Well I wasn't singling out any particular race/ethnic group.

The whole point of the thread, was just to state that there is no cost advantage to living out in the burbs anymore, particularly if the suburb dweller commutes into Vancouver or a neighboring municipality. That's why there's no point in moving out there, unless one has a good paying job.

Out where you live Mel, it seems quite expensive. Langley, once a sleepy farm town, appears to have become an enclave for the upscale or newly rich. They are no longer farms or horse ranches, but estates. Those large expansive farms must be worth a lot now. I see a lot of large new expensive looking homes sprouting up there.

And I noticed it's not cheap there. Food in the grocery stroes seemed expensive, even though Langley still has large farms which grow it. Also, the restaurants I went to were expensive, not cheap, at least $20 for meal and up. Unlike Van, no deals to be had.

So...if you couple the high price of gas, a must have motor vehicle, expensive food and restaurants, long distances to drive to get anywhere, most probably high rents like everywhere else, Langley aint cheap. Maybe upwards 30% more than living in parts of Vancouver? Little wonder you have this homelessness problem out in Fort Langley, In all probability those people came when it was affordable, and now they're being pushed out onto the street.

Quote from: "Angry White Male"This is not the place to come if you do not have money.  It is not the place that I grew up in.

We are actually experiencing "White Flight" here now also.  Wages here are stagnant, and cost of living is extreme.

Basically Vancouver is becoming a playground for rich Hongers to park their asses and their money here, as the political climate here is more stable than in China.

Only immigrants now find this place desirable, and they are used to congestion, small spaces, and a quality of life that is still better than what they are used to at home, but a loss of quality of life when viewed from White eyes.

I have my work here (rates are stagnant thanks to immigration), but my only connection left to this place is the fact that I was born here.  My condo value goes up and up, but there isn't a day that passes where I don't think about packing up and getting the fuck outta this place.

Drive through Vancouver proper when the schools let out...  ONE fucking white kid will exit amongst about 100 coloured's, mostly Yellow.  That is a ratio that I do not exaggerate.

The big city is also the cold city.  You'd think with this many fucking people all crammed into a small space, that you'd have a better chance of meeting people.  WRONG!  This paradox seems to hold true to other big cities also...  The bigger the city, the more isolated the people become from one another.  Small towns have a different vibe and character...  More friendly.

Angry White Male

Even a basic detached home here is now hovering close to the million dollar mark.

It is becoming a place for the rich only.  Wealthy Asians have discovered this once all-White jewel in the valley (Asians know where to park their money, and if it cannot be amongst their own, Whitey is the second best option, and they know this).

You knew the change had come, when all of a sudden it was built when none had existed here before:  One huge automall consisting of only high end automobiles...  BMW, Mercedes, Jag, etc.

Most here now are not from here.  The older people are selling, happy to take the money and run.  The younger people cannot afford to live here.

The Asians are taking over, with money from Hong Kong.

The OWE me a fine young Asian for doing this to me, but have yet to offer me one...   :sad:

Aryan

Sounds just like Londonistan, only difference being it's oil-rich arabs and muslims flooding over rather than Chinese.

JOE

I was with a group of people and we went to an Italiant/Meditaranean Restaurant in Langley called the Olive Garden.

https://media.olivegarden.com/en_us/images/marketing/olive-garden-tuscan-italian-restaurant-g5-rdv.jpg">

It was pretty good, food was quite tasty, but it was also somewhat expensive.

I think the bill came out to $30+ each per person.

Perhaps the Langley locals think it's one of their prime Grade A+ restaurants.

But I think it might be classified more as a family B grade type place.

Wouldn't be considered anything special in Vancouver and would probably on the 2nd tier among Italian restaurants here.

It was a respectable, yet typical suburban restaurant on the Strip, though I could probably get a nice meal like that in an Italian Vancouver restaurant for about $15 tax, tips & alcoholic beverage included.

Quote from: "Angry White Male"Even a basic detached home here is now hovering close to the million dollar mark.

It is becoming a place for the rich only.  Wealthy Asians have discovered this once all-White jewel in the valley (Asians know where to park their money, and if it cannot be amongst their own, Whitey is the second best option, and they know this).

You knew the change had come, when all of a sudden it was built when none had existed here before:  One huge automall consisting of only high end automobiles...  BMW, Mercedes, Jag, etc.

Most here now are not from here.  The older people are selling, happy to take the money and run.  The younger people cannot afford to live here.

The Asians are taking over, with money from Hong Kong.

The OWE me a fine young Asian for doing this to me, but have yet to offer me one...   :sad:

Angry White Male

That Olive Garden is hugely popular here.  Even during the week there can sometimes be lines out the door.  Forget about going on the weekend.

I had taken my ex there once.  It was OK, but nothing spectacular.  May have gone more often, but not waiting in a line to eat.  Usually just ended up going to Spaghetti Factory instead, which is close by also, and although nothing spectacular either, usually no lines and a better bang for your buck.

Berry Sweet

I've never been to the olive garden.  I've seen the commercials and it seems like a red robins, nothing special.  There are a few small private restaurants in my area and they are the bomb.

cc

Love the small ones ... used to live near Denman .. there were some nice small owner operated places at that time  near Robson .. not sure today

Actually, the Olive Garden we occasionally visited in Bellingham was pretty good .. not sure about Canadian ones
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Angry White Male

Didn't realize Langley has the only location in BC...

Like I said, it was OK, but nothing spectacular.  Prices a bit on the high side for what you get, but it's a very busy restaurant and they can get away with that.