Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 06:19:55 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Lab Flaker

Yugo Cars...

Started by Chuck Bronson, July 15, 2018, 05:19:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck Bronson

Remember them?

There's one of these cars still driving around the area here.  I know they were generally pieces of shit, but today I wondered, whatever happened to Yugo cars being imported into North America?  This is what I found:

QuoteBy the early 1990s, the effects of the United Nations sanctions on Yugoslavia forced Zastava to withdraw the car from every export market. After embargoes stifled production, the coup de grâce was NATO's 1999 bombing of the company's automotive division, instead of Zastava's arms manufacturing division.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Chuck Bronson"Remember them?

There's one of these cars still driving around the area here.  I know they were generally pieces of shit, but today I wondered, whatever happened to Yugo cars being imported into North America?  This is what I found:

QuoteBy the early 1990s, the effects of the United Nations sanctions on Yugoslavia forced Zastava to withdraw the car from every export market. After embargoes stifled production, the coup de grâce was NATO's 1999 bombing of the company's automotive division, instead of Zastava's arms manufacturing division.

End of production

With the 794,428th and final car, production ended on November 11, 2008.[34] Of that number, around 250,000 were exported to various countries.

Chuck Bronson

I do see that they did start producing again, but after the UN sanctions of the early 1990's, they were never imported into North America again!

Not that it's a huge loss, as they were POS, but just wondered why they kind of 'disappeared'...

Odinson

Is that like Lada 1200?

50-100 bucks per lada.

Its completely worth it.

Their paintjobs have drip marks even when fresh off the factoryline.

Chuck Bronson

Quote from: "Odinson"Is that like Lada 1200?

50-100 bucks per lada.

Its completely worth it.

Probably similar.  Lada was pretty rare here, but I have seen the odd Lada Niva 4X4 around here.  A few were imported, but not many were sold.  Just not very good for North American buyers expectations.

Interestingly enough, I don't think the US imported them at all.  Maybe something to do with Cold War, but Canada got a few.  They were POS also!   :laugh:

Berry Sweet

I'm tired of today's modern car.  They are so boring.  They all look the same.

Odinson

Quote from: "Chuck Bronson"
Quote from: "Odinson"Is that like Lada 1200?

50-100 bucks per lada.

Its completely worth it.

Probably similar.  Lada was pretty rare here, but I have seen the odd Lada Niva 4X4 around here.  A few were imported, but not many were sold.  Just not very good for North American buyers expectations.

Interestingly enough, I don't think the US imported them at all.  Maybe something to do with Cold War, but Canada got a few.  They were POS also!   :laugh:

Lada Niva and the 1200 are used as hunting cars around here..

Its because no1 cares if a tree branch or a stone puts a dent on them..

You´ll start crying if your new Hilux gets raped by the terrain.

And you can put anything flammable in a ladas tank.. It runs..

Chuck Bronson

Quote from: "Berry Sweet"I'm tired of today's modern car.  They are so boring.  They all look the same.

Old cars looked all the same too!

https://qph.fs.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-b42e31e69abfbd201a357e6f5947515b">

https://i2.wp.com/oilmanmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/traffic-light-pride-111216.jpg?resize=640%2C464&ssl=1">

Berry Sweet

Those cars have class!

Chuck Bronson

Quote from: "Berry Sweet"Those cars have class!

That may be, but they did look all the same then too!