The best topic

Replies: 10495
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 06:44:23 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by DKG

Australian Birds

Started by caskur, July 14, 2018, 11:07:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 7 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

caskur

I keep thinking the Nankeen Kestrel is a female for some reason but here she is being watch by a young woman as another front comes in..
"I think having land and not ruining it is the most beautiful art that anybody could ever want."
- Andy Warhol

caskur

I think If I had a light advantage, I could get clearer shot. I'm really disappointed with my zoom lens. I reckon its shit.

I can take pictures of the moon's craters but it gets all grainy on dark bird shots. Very unfair.
"I think having land and not ruining it is the most beautiful art that anybody could ever want."
- Andy Warhol

Anonymous

Quote from: "caskur"I keep thinking the Nankeen Kestrel is a female for some reason but here she is being watch by a young woman as another front comes in..

It almost looks like a prairie sky.

caskur

That's our winter. It's freezing... 17 C standing in the wind, feels like 12-13C
- Andy Warhol

Bricktop

It's a female.

Male's are grey and white.

Bricktop

Quote from: "caskur"I think If I had a light advantage, I could get clearer shot. I'm really disappointed with my zoom lens. I reckon its shit.

I can take pictures of the moon's craters but it gets all grainy on dark bird shots. Very unfair.

Nothing wrong with your zoom.

If the pic is grainy, it means there's not enough light for your shutter speed setting. It's probably because you're shooting on P mode and the camera is simply averaging out the metering taking into account a dark sky or subject.

The blurred pictures are because your shutter speed is too slow...especially if your zoomed all the way out. The rule of thumb is if you're shooting at 200mm, your shutter speed should be at least double that...ie, 1/400 of a second or faster.

That's why shooting birds in flight is very difficult. You have to balance everything out.

Anonymous

Quote from: "caskur"That's our winter. It's freezing... 17 C standing in the wind, feels like 12-13C

Yes, that's freezing.

:001_rolleyes:

caskur

Quote from: "Bricktop"
Quote from: "caskur"I think If I had a light advantage, I could get clearer shot. I'm really disappointed with my zoom lens. I reckon its shit.

Nothing wrong with your zoom.

If the pic is grainy, it means there's not enough light for your shutter speed setting. It's probably because you're shooting on P mode and the camera is simply averaging out the metering taking into account a dark sky or subject.

The blurred pictures are because your shutter speed is too slow...especially if your zoomed all the way out. The rule of thumb is if you're shooting at 200mm, your shutter speed should be at least double that...ie, 1/400 of a second or faster.

That's why shooting birds in flight is very difficult. You have to balance everything out.

It was hell, freezing cold and occasionally wet so I was in the passenger seat of the car on the road but up there in the attachment I put on is a public seat, if I was on that I would have been really close and the pictures would have been great even in darkened conditions... I think I need a real photographer with me.

The video is good...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2339180976161814/permalink/2352205471526031/">https://www.facebook.com/groups/2339180 ... 471526031/">https://www.facebook.com/groups/2339180976161814/permalink/2352205471526031/

This was good... but still not close enough and one bloody focused on the ocean not the bird.
- Andy Warhol

Anonymous

You are still lucky to get a picture of the bird in mid flight.

caskur

Quote from: "Fashionista"You are still lucky to get a picture of the bird in mid flight.

Well these birds hover so engaging isn't as hard as a bird flying by is. Anyway, when the weather clears up, I'll go sit on the seat and wait. Hopefully no one else will be using the seat.
- Andy Warhol

caskur

Earlier tonight, I finally found a Black Shouldered Kite. I thought I was filming the kestrel, I was wrong.

I can't wait for a fine day now but I cannot go tomorrow, I'm having special guests for lunch.
- Andy Warhol

Anonymous

Have a nice lunch caskur..

It's Canada Day long weekend here..

We're going for another long bike ride this afternoon.

caskur

Quote from: "Fashionista"Have a nice lunch caskur..

You should take your cell phone and snap pictures.

Something different for us to see.
- Andy Warhol

Anonymous

Quote from: "caskur"
Quote from: "Fashionista"Have a nice lunch caskur..

You should take your cell phone and snap pictures.

Something different for us to see.

I had it on me, but I didn't use it..

Next time I'll do that.

caskur

Edited and a good version of Fairy-wrens.

">

AND a 28 eating out of Kurt's hand.
- Andy Warhol