Last post: Today at 07:05:02 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by James Bond

Grubs up - in Singapore.

Started by Bricktop, July 15, 2018, 01:20:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Quote from: "Zetsu"
Quote from: "Herman"
Quote from: "Zetsu"I never knew military service was mandatory there too, while I bet most parents would think this might be harsh and brutal, but imo I believe joining the army is the greatest way to put any teen into top shape.

It doesn't sound surprising if Canada and Singapore's pilots do joint military training together, when I was a kid my brother always talks about the RCAF pilots being amongst the top in the world.

It takes a lot of space for air force training. That's something Singapore doesn't have.

I never really thought about it, not to mention it might rile up the neighbouring countries up a bit with military exercise at such close proximity, I know China is always sensitive about these kinda stuff.  ac_unsure

I don't know if China would care unless it was a joint exercise with the USA.

Bricktop

Singapore has an airbase in Australia. Its in Queensland somewhere. Its used for training, weapons firing exercises and safe storage of aircraft.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop"Singapore has an airbase in Australia. Its in Queensland somewhere. Its used for training, weapons firing exercises and safe storage of aircraft.

That makes sense.

Bricktop

Its good being Australian in Singapore.

We have a very close relationship with them.

@realAzhyaAryola

The only country I've been in where a cleaning lady wiped the counter immediately after I washed my hands. Incredible.
@realAzhyaAryola

[size=80]Sometimes, my comments have a touch of humor, often tongue-in-cheek, so don\'t take it so seriously.[/size]

@realAzhyaAryola

Even at the Ritz Carlton here, there is no cleaning lady who wipes the counter immediately after you wash your hands.
@realAzhyaAryola

[size=80]Sometimes, my comments have a touch of humor, often tongue-in-cheek, so don\'t take it so seriously.[/size]

@realAzhyaAryola

Nice indoor flora in the airport. Clever.
@realAzhyaAryola

Anonymous

Quote from: "@realAzhyaAryola"Nice indoor flora in the airport. Clever.

Chiangi airport is something.

Bricktop

Its going to be something else quite soon.

Opens next year. Its already built...just the gardens and fitout left to do.

">

cc

We didn't really like the feel of the  place  ... thankfully our plans to operate out of and live there were changed at the last minute and we set up in Makati instead.

But did have some funny things happen there

During a visit to Sing with my mate , they had a serial hotel elevator pee'r in on the loose ..... so they set moisture sensors  in the carpeting and an alarm rang in the security office

They caught him when he got to the main floor and it was headlines in the Straight Times

As to the Airport, on another trip alone mate noticed a grossly overweight and "unmistakable from behind" business friend from California at the Airport urinal so he stepped up beside him and said loadly "Chuck .. We really gotta stop meeting this way"

Chuck broke up and laughed so hard he pissed on his pants .. several local english speakers also broke up and in fact explained it all to those who missed it or didn't speak english . Fortunately Chuck saw the humor in it

Overall we were very uncomfortable in the clearly authoritarian city / country where the slightest misque or misinterpretation can be disastrous
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Bricktop

I'm not seeing a logical reason not to like the place?

Because some people urinated improperly?

Have you been to London? Paris? Bangkok?

cc

No silly goose, that was merely a story - I could never enjoy an authoritarian atmosphere c/w human robots on the sidewalks when away from tourist hotels .. . no matter how "perfect" the trappings are ...

It and China (several times and cities) we could not get out of fast enough .. and as to "authoritarian atmosphere" they felt much the same

As to the cities, 2 of the 3 and MANY more ... chose smaller Puket over Bangkok

Bricktop

Some countries prefer authority over inconsistency and uncertainty.

I'm warming more and more to it. Our current system doesn't work.

cc

I do understand that some prefer order. For most in those 2 countries, they  know nothing of being free to think beyond just intellectually  .. it's simply "what is"  .. or normal to them .. No decisions to make and big brother takes care of everything and / or has rules for everything

For me I choose to be surrounded by "people"  ... independent people .. or no one .... and not surrounded by and packed in with what I saw as human robots  in Sing and  China

Several trips to both were strictly because of business conventions and business dealings ... and were as short as we could possibly make them

Agreed that our system is not working well at this point in time and seems to already be set up to never work.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop"Some countries prefer authority over inconsistency and uncertainty.

I'm warming more and more to it. Our current system doesn't work.

Something needs to change in the West, that is a given.