News:

SMF - Just Installed!

The best topic

Replies: 10395
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 12:27:42 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Sloan

They don't want you to run Windows 7 anymore...

Started by Chuck Bronson, August 15, 2018, 07:58:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop"Almost. Apple Mac. Apple Macbook Air. iPad. iPhone. Apple watch.

Nothing breaks. All works perfectly. Everything works hand in hand with everything else. No freezes. No crashes.

No Microsoft.

I know you've posted about the Apple watch before, but you could give us your opinion of it again please?

JOE

Quote from: "iron horse jockey"
Quote from: "JOE"That Windows yer usin' is fast becoming an obsolete piece of garbage.

A dinosaur!

I was at a computer trade show yesterday & a lot of the software is now being made for LINUX.

Mainstream apps too.

Even this sales Rep from Lenovo told me their computers increasingly are using LINUX now.

He told me the best ones are Red Hat &Ubuntu.

Linux is fast brcomin" the 'new Windows' eh?

You should ditch Windows by 2020 if ya can.

S'Mel? Are you gay Joe?

Actually 'S'Mel' is short for 'Smell the Glove'.

Thats a nic which Mel himself made up on one of the other forums. Wasnt my invention.

For better er worse the name has stuck.

I thonk Blurt also refers to Mel as 'S'Mel'.  :laugh:

Chuck Bronson

The problem with Apple, is they're lacking if one wants a machine that has excellent gaming capabilities...

cc

Games is kiddy stuff and minor issue ... but I can see why some don't build for it.

So many REAL programs don't build for it because it's such a minor player
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Chuck Bronson

If you don't game, then buy whatever you want.  The point I make, is that gamers who demand a competent machine must go Windows PC.

And I am getting my ass fixed.  Hopefully they call me in for slicey dicey very soon!

cc

I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Bricktop

Quote from: "Fashionista"
Quote from: "Bricktop"Almost. Apple Mac. Apple Macbook Air. iPad. iPhone. Apple watch.

Nothing breaks. All works perfectly. Everything works hand in hand with everything else. No freezes. No crashes.

No Microsoft.

I know you've posted about the Apple watch before, but you could give us your opinion of it again please?

A very clever and potent little piece of technology, but with limited benefit to most people who would use them.

They are very good to provide alerts that your phone is ringing in noisy places (or for women who put theirs in their handbag), are useful as health monitoring devices, and for controlling things like music and video without the need to access your phone. In truth, I do not wear mine often. I bought it more as a watch collector than for any real benefit. I know that business people will find them much more useful for managing appointments, taking notes and checking calendars when on the go. Other than that...what else CAN they do, really?

You sure cant write emails on them (but you can dictate them....which is quite handy, really). Ditto messages.

I would suggest its horses for courses. They can be useful if you wish to make them so.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop"

No Microsoft.

A very clever and potent little piece of technology, but with limited benefit to most people who would use them.

They are very good to provide alerts that your phone is ringing in noisy places (or for women who put theirs in their handbag), are useful as health monitoring devices, and for controlling things like music and video without the need to access your phone. In truth, I do not wear mine often. I bought it more as a watch collector than for any real benefit. I know that business people will find them much more useful for managing appointments, taking notes and checking calendars when on the go. Other than that...what else CAN they do, really?

You sure cant write emails on them (but you can dictate them....which is quite handy, really). Ditto messages.

I would suggest its horses for courses. They can be useful if you wish to make them so.

I don't have an iphone, but some of the features of that watch intrigue me.

JOE

Quote from: "seoulbro"

No Microsoft.

I do.

I also have a samsung.

For prettiness & presentation I use apple.

All the chix will think yer 'with it' ifya own an iphone.

But for practicality, getta Samsung. They're way better for functionality than apple and can usually had for much cheaper.

Jeez no wonder Apple sued Samsung. Because they made an equivalent product or better for less money.

Chuck Bronson

So, my fix didn't work.  Although removing the subkey permitted me control of update settings, what the O/S is now doing is simply downloading and installing all upgrades anyhow, but now it does not even notify me when doing so!

Whatever was in the last group of updates, has essentially allowed my O/S to now do whatever it wants, bypassing all commands that are set to NOT permit it to do this.

This is actually something that's probably against the law for them to do, to be quite honest.

What I'll do, is attempt to completely disable Windows Update on both my regular account and the Administrators account, and will see if this behaviour continues...

JOE

You should switch to Linux or unix Mel.

That will give you the control you desire and need eh

You can even dress up linux to look like windows or install it on your pc along with wondows.

I suspect windows will one day become passe.

The hard core like yourself are growing tired of it and are ready for a change or something else

Chuck Bronson

I would switch to an O/S that permits me full control, but I also very rarely do game, and I also want the ability to game any game, on Ultra settings, without problems...

This is where Windows holds their Ace in the hole...

JOE

Quote from: "Chuck Bronson"I would switch to an O/S that permits me full control, but I also very rarely do game, and I also want the ability to game any game, on Ultra settings, without problems...

This is where Windows holds their Ace in the hole...

Yknow Mel I once bought this old silicon graphics workstation pn ebay from the 1990s.

Like amiga they went out of business

The sgi o2.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/ea/Silicon_Graphics_O2_Plus.jpg/220px-Silicon_Graphics_O2_Plus.jpg">

Thats a real nerd/tecchie's workstation.

But if ya wanna control every aspect of your pc this is the one for you.

They used it to mske jurrasic park on the 90s

One day im gonna fire it up agsin.

Apparently some guy resurrected its operating o/s, irix, to run on a linux format on intel chips.

The old chips were mips.

http://www.itdirection.net/it-news-0043/060517-01204-it-news.shtml">http://www.itdirection.net/it-news-0043 ... news.shtml">http://www.itdirection.net/it-news-0043/060517-01204-it-news.shtml

https://www.theregister.co.uk/AMP/2017/06/05/maxx_interactive_desktop_revives_sgi_irix_and_magic_desktop/">https://www.theregister.co.uk/AMP/2017/ ... c_desktop/">https://www.theregister.co.uk/AMP/2017/06/05/maxx_interactive_desktop_revives_sgi_irix_and_magic_desktop/

Like to get my hands on it if possible.

See if i can run the old sgi software on it.

Heres their developers page:

http://www.maxxinteractive.com/site/">http://www.maxxinteractive.com/site/

Bricktop

Quote from: "seoulbro"

No Microsoft.

It makes a better business tool than a social device.