Replies: 10400
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 04:37:30 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Lokmar

What was the legacy of the 1960s?

Started by JOE, July 29, 2018, 05:09:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bricktop

Quote from: "Peaches"There is no need for me to prove anything here.

That's OK. That's my job. And I do it rather well, I'm sure you'll agree.

As you like to lean on the ramblings of others...

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. Mark Twain

JOE

Quote from: "Bricktop"I cannot help but wonder why Americans believe that all worldly knowledge and wisdom was possessed only by people (males) who lived in the 18th and 19th century...and that said knowledge and wisdom would somehow accommodate the evolution of human society into the 21st.

They must have been amazing fellows.

The US is in need of a massive overhaul of its political institutions and its constitution.

Otherwise theyre gonna wnd up with social unrest & upheaval in the coming decades.

Sticking with an archaic centuries old constitutional formula won't work in the long run.

Bricktop

It needs to grow up, and stop clinging to a romanticised, idealised past that is more a product of Hollywood than historical fact.

It needs to stop pretending it possesses European sophistication and intellectualism.

It needs to embrace the deep flaws in its governance.

And it desperately needs a statesman or woman who can unify a crumbling and disparate society under a single national identity. In that need, it has much in common with most of the western world.

JOE

Quote from: "Bricktop"It needs to grow up, and stop clinging to a romanticised, idealised past that is more a product of Hollywood than historical fact.

It needs to stop pretending it possesses European sophistication and intellectualism.

It needs to embrace the deep flaws in its governance.

And it desperately needs a statesman or woman who can unify a crumbling and disparate society under a single national identity. In that need, it has much in common with most of the western world.

A glaring flaw of their system is a winner take all mentality which of course can only lead to monopolization of power and social unrest. And of course excessive concentration of wealth. All these multibillionaires yet still no basic universal healthcare for it's citizens?

Or that judges can fraternize with politicians and still be appointed to the bench for life when they should have to be voted on And run for political office.

Or that in a presidential election a candidate can take an entire stste' s electoral voted with just 50.001% of the vote while his opponent has 49.999% of the vote and ends up with nothing.

There's no balance which will only result in a system eventually tearing itself apart

Anonymous

Quote from: "JOE"
Quote from: "Bricktop"I cannot help but wonder why Americans believe that all worldly knowledge and wisdom was possessed only by people (males) who lived in the 18th and 19th century...and that said knowledge and wisdom would somehow accommodate the evolution of human society into the 21st.

The US is in need of a massive overhaul of its political institutions and its constitution.

Otherwise theyre gonna wnd up with social unrest & upheaval in the coming decades.

Sticking with an archaic centuries old constitutional formula won't work in the long run.

Canada and the rest of the West needs the same thing and for the same reasons. The West cannot continue the way they are going and expect their way of life will survive.

Bricktop

Amen.

And pumpkins should be declared a noxious weed.

Wazzzup

Quote from: "JOE"

we have social unrest because the left are generally assholes who think not liking the results of an election entitles them to riot, threaten, beat people, try to kill  people  etc. they disagree with.

the answer is they need to be held accountable (in two ways)

1. by the judicial system-- for example antifa assholes need to go to prison instead of being arrested one day and set free the next

2. at the ballot box--the people need to punish this behavior, the democrat party should be punished by the voters for acting like such assholes.

And we need to drastically roll back immigration.  

Do those two things and we will be just fine, throw in an unbiased media and it would be even better.

Bricktop

Your chances of ANY of those things occurring whilst fragmented into so many self-interested tribes is zero.

I am staggered by, for example, the membership of the Supreme Court. Divided by politics. That is insane!!! No other country selects politically expedient judges so blatantly as the US, and it is a MAJOR source of your dilemma.

Judges should be appointed by Congress, after being nominated by your AG, not the President. And not based on politics.

This division flows through every legal element of your nation. Courts are political agents. It's madness.

Wazzzup

Quote from: "Bricktop"It needs to grow up, and stop clinging to a romanticised, idealised past that is more a product of Hollywood than historical fact.

No we need to tell the left to go to hell when the left says our past is all slavery and evil white people.  We have built one of the greatest nations on the earth,. its time to tell those who put shame on us to get lost.

Quote from: "Bricktop"It needs to stop pretending it possesses European sophistication and intellectualism.

More like european pretentiousness.  I would stack our best minds against Europe's anytime.  Besides those European sophisticates are letting Muslims take over and the left destroy free speech.  They are certainly nothing to emulate, they are in worse shape than we are.

Quote from: "Bricktop"It needs to embrace the deep flaws in its governance.

Nope ours is a great system of governance, imitated the world over. No other constitution defends free speech more than ours does.  Our constitution has been the basis for more constitutions than any other country's.

Quote from: "Bricktop"And it desperately needs a statesman or woman who can unify a crumbling and disparate society under a single national identity. In that need, it has much in common with most of the western world.

Not going to happen.  the left has declared war.  Either they will be thwarted, or they will win, or its civil war. There will be no unity.

Bricktop

Quote from: "Wazzzup"
No we need to tell the left to go to hell when the left says our past is all slavery and evil white people.  We have built one of the greatest nations on the earth,. its time to tell those who put shame on us to get lost.

By what criterion and subjective measures do you regard yourself as a great nation? If you've travelled the world, you would learn that there is nothing intrinsically superior about the US over other nations. And that is why the world rolls its eyes up whenever you make these claims. You can claim your country has achieved much, but you have to accept that your country has committed some grave acts as well. Because you put a man on the moon, it does not follow that you have the right to invade Iraq.

More like european pretentiousness.  I would stack our best minds against Europe's anytime.  Besides those European sophisticates are letting Muslims take over and the left destroy free speech.  They are certainly nothing to emulate, they are in worse shape than we are.

I think you'll find that there is little difference between Europe and the US. Where they are flooded with arabs and Africans, you are flooded with Mexicans. What we call acts of terror in Europe pale in comparison to the criminal acts of Mexican and African American gangs in the US. And that is small fry compared to the thousands slaughtered by gunfire in the US. How about the Oklahoma bombing? Was that carried out by muslims. You have your own carnage to deal with...and you're losing the fight.

Nope ours is a great system of governance, imitated the world over. No other constitution defends free speech more than ours does.  Our constitution has been the basis for more constitutions than any other country's.

Firstly, YOUR Constitution is largely based on British and French philosophers, and the only thing that distinguished it from those Constitutions was that the American version created a confederation of States, whereas those other nations did not. How is that working out for you vis a vis the "Sanctuary States", and the various State legislatures defying Federal Law. Your country is relatively young, and most of Europe's constitutions were well established. Most of the British empire followed the British model. I know of no country that has mimicked the US model. The similarities either pre-existed, or were based on European tenets. That does not make them superior, but nor is your statement valid.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Constitution">//https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Constitution

Any observer looking at your current events, vis a vis the Mueller investigation, the Clinton corruption scandal, the attempted coup by the left against Trump, the FBI anti-Trump conspiracy and many other examples would be hard pressed to judge your system of governance "great". Indeed, many Chinese who oppose their Communist government begrudgingly admit its better than the US turmoil.

Not going to happen.  the left has declared war.  Either they will be thwarted, or they will win, or its civil war. There will be no unity.

The US has fought a war against itself before. I have no doubt it has the capability to do so again, but this time nothing but a smoking ruin will remain.

I know I bash the US constantly...but the fact is the America is killing itself, and that does the world no good. If American's at least took notice of what the rest of the world sees, and realises that many of its myths and mistruths are harming them, then real change may evolve.

As it is, with its distorted self image, its race to chaos and destruction runs ever faster.

Wazzzup

QuoteBy what criterion and subjective measures do you regard yourself as a great nation? If you've travelled the world, you would learn that there is nothing intrinsically superior about the US over other nations. And that is why the world rolls its eyes up whenever you make these claims.

I didn't say it was greater than all others.  I said it was great. if you look up best places to lives its always in the top ten.  I know you don;t like Americans who say "we're the greatest country" but how are you any better than they are with your constant "Australia is superior to America" mantra?

QuoteYou can claim your country has achieved much, but you have to accept that your country has committed some grave acts as well. Because you put a man on the moon, it does not follow that you have the right to invade Iraq.

I didn't support that war BTW.  But There was nothing immoral about Iraq.  Saddam hussein was a mass murdering POS who deserved to be taken out. The problem is younger Bush didn't understand what his father did, that leaving saddam in there provided stability and if he were taken ou,t it would create a power vacuum, which it did.

QuoteI think you'll find that there is little difference between Europe and the US. Where they are flooded with arabs and Africans, you are flooded with Mexicans. What we call acts of terror in Europe pale in comparison to the criminal acts of Mexican and African American gangs in the US.

No that's not really correct because the level of non terrorist crimes committed by african and ME immigrants are high as well.  But again who is to blame? the open borders globalist left in both instances.

QuoteAnd that is small fry compared to the thousands slaughtered by gunfire in the US.

Argggh.  I've already explained to you dozens of times why the US has higher rates of murder than most western  countries.  Primarily because of Blacks who commit over half the murders in the entire US even though they are only 12% of it, Hispanics commit murder two to three times the rate whites do. if you were to compare white only rates you would find them more or less equally low with places like canada.

QuoteFirstly, YOUR Constitution is largely based on British and French philosophers, and the only thing that distinguished it from those Constitutions was that the American version created a confederation of States, whereas those other nations did not.

It created many unique things at the time like separation of church and state.  protecting religious liberty.  That people should have free speech.  Some of these concepts were new and some others had not been codified yet.  they have been imitated around the world.

QuoteHow is that working out for you vis a vis the "Sanctuary States", and the various State legislatures defying Federal Law.

I think in the old days if a politician created a "sanctuary city" they would have immediately been charged with aiding and abetting criminal behavior.  That is what should be done.  But the courage is not there.  Once again your point is against the left not America., somehow you just never seem to realize that.  

QuoteAny observer looking at your current events, vis a vis the Mueller investigation, the Clinton corruption scandal, the attempted coup by the left against Trump, the FBI anti-Trump conspiracy and many other examples would be hard pressed to judge your system of governance "great".

You're talking about the LEFT in America and the crap they are trying to pull, not the system.  it could all happen anywhere all you need is leftist zealots.

QuoteI know I bash the US constantly...but the fact is the America is killing itself, and that does the world no good.

America is not killing itself.  The American left is killing america (and western europe).  There are many people in America doing what they can to fight against what the left is doing, bashing them= entire country doesn't help anything.   realize who the enemy is.  most others here get it.  You are on your way, but you still don't see it.

Dinesh D'souza, an indian Immigrant, who i think may well be the smartest person in America, explains it well in this interview on his movie "Death of a nation: can we save America again" (first two and a half minutes)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIuogiVy33o&feature=youtu.be">
... e=youtu.be">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIuogiVy33o&feature=youtu.be

JOE

Bottom line Lump, US presidents have too much power especially when the clearly don't have enough votes to justify a majority mandate which is essentially absolute power.

Ie, Trump should have been forced into a coalition with a party such as the Libertarians and Gary Johnson as his Vice President since he received fewer votes than his opponent. This would be a similar setup as Britain where a minority Prime Minister was forced into a coalition with a Northern Ireland party.

cc

sigh

I have to be brutally honest, Joe. You do better when talking about your imaginary friends
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

JOE

Quote from: "cc"sigh

I have to be brutally honest, Joe. You do better when talking about your imaginary friends

In the 2016 election, Donald Trump received almost 3,000,000 votes fewer than or over 2% less than Hillary Clinton:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_presidential_election,_2016">https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_ ... tion,_2016">https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_presidential_election,_2016

That s not fiction, cc. I didnt make it up. Its a fact.

Like many others, i have a difficult time accepting Trump as a legitimate president because he simply did not have the numbers to govern with a majority mandate.

Wazzzup

Quote from: "cc"sigh

yep as usual Joe hasn't got the first clue what he is talking about.

trump is not the problem, its the people who are trying to prevent him from doing his job who are the problem.