Replies: 8416
Total votes: : 3

Last post: July 02, 2024, 02:46:34 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Sloan

Life in the FAS lane...

Started by Chuck Bronson, July 31, 2018, 01:02:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck Bronson

Although Evs is full of shit around 90% of the time, her attempt at insult did pique my curiosity, and I have since done some thorough study.

I think there maybe something to this.  My Mother was an extreme alcoholic (only thing she drank was Whiskey, straight up on the rocks) for as long as I can remember.  My biological father left her around the time that I was born.  I'm not privy to the exact timeline, nor the reasoning for this.  I have never spoken to my biological father.

Also remember this pregnancy occurred in the late 1970's, where you could probably still get away with downing a quart of Whiskey every night while pregnant, and maybe not too many people would have questioned that behaviour at that time.

Contrary to what Evs has claimed, I don't have any mild facial deformities that is associated with full-blown FAS.  However, my studies of FAS did result in something interesting...

Almost all of the time, kids with FAS are diagnosed, often improperly, with ADHD, or back in my day, as Hyperactive.  I was diagnosed as Hyperactive at the age of five (5), upon the Kindergarten teacher recommending a visit to the Doctor.  ADHD or Hyperactivity doesn't run in my family, as far as I know.

Here's the thing with ADHD/Hyperactivity vs. FAS...  Most kids grow out of ADHD.  On the flipside, you never grow out of FAS.  It is lifelong, with no cure.

So, this piqued my interest...  There are varying 'levels' of FAS.  Not all warp you face and fuck your entire shit up.  Sometimes you can be affected to a lesser degree...  Looking 'normal,' and managing better in life than a true FAS sufferer, but many of the problems still can exist, albeit to a lesser extent.

The experts often call this either Partial FAS, Fetal alcohol effects, or more recently Alcohol-related neurodevelopmental disorder.

This is a Wiki list of what a "full blown" FAS individual would generally deal with, and most is not at all completely foreign to me...

QuoteAchievement: Learning disabilities

Adaptive behavior: Poor impulse control, poor personal boundaries, poor anger management, stubbornness, intrusive behavior, too friendly with strangers, poor daily living skills, developmental delays

Attention: Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), poor attention or concentration, distractible

Cognition: Intellectual disability, confusion under pressure, poor abstract skills, difficulty distinguishing between fantasy and reality, slower cognitive processing

Executive functioning: Poor judgment, Information-processing disorder, poor at perceiving patterns, poor cause and effect reasoning, inconsistent at linking words to actions, poor generalization ability

Language: Expressive or receptive language disorders, grasp parts but not whole concepts, lack understanding of metaphor, idioms, or sarcasm

Memory: Poor short-term memory, inconsistent memory and knowledge base

Motor skills: Poor handwriting, poor fine motor skills, poor gross motor skills, delayed motor skill development (e.g., riding a bicycle at appropriate age)

Sensory processing and soft neurological problems: sensory processing disorder, sensory defensiveness, undersensitivity to stimulation

Social communication: Intrude into conversations, inability to read nonverbal or social cues, "chatty" but without substance

There is no cure.  Life in the FAS lane!

Bricktop

...and this is news because...???

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop"...and this is news because...???

Because he was born with it.

Berry Sweet

Quote from: "Herman"
Quote from: "Bricktop"...and this is news because...???

Because he was born with it.

It's not maybelline...

Berry Sweet

I think its selfish to drink or do drugs while pregnant.  I was clean for my entire pregnancy.  I did have a glass of wine on my birthday but that's it.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Berry Sweet"I think its selfish to drink or do drugs while pregnant.  I was clean for my entire pregnancy.  I did have a glass of wine on my birthday but that's it.

It should be illegal with harsh penalties.

Chuck Bronson

Even at the end, when I was sole executor, and sole enduring power of attorney, meaning that I could dictate 'The End,' to everything, that bitch still couldn't even look me in my eyes.

She hated me from day one.

Bricktop

And you've carried on the tradition once she died.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Chuck Bronson"Even at the end, when I was sole executor, and sole enduring power of attorney, meaning that I could dictate 'The End,' to everything, that bitch still couldn't even look me in my eyes.

She hated me from day one.

I feel sorry for you, you poor little thing.