Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 12:27:42 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Sloan

A new little Aussie

Started by Bricktop, August 28, 2018, 07:53:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bricktop

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1852/43616532864_ea03181770.jpg">

A koala has taken up residence in a friend's tree.

Unfortunately, the tree is around 50 metres high...and she decided to occupy the penthouse. This is the best I could do, but notice that there is a baby clinging to her.

50 metres up. In a swaying gum tree.

The young are very cute, so I'm hoping she will come down lower and the joey might be more visible.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop"https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1852/43616532864_ea03181770.jpg">

Unfortunately, the tree is around 50 metres high...and she decided to occupy the penthouse. This is the best I could do, but notice that there is a baby clinging to her.

The young are very cute, so I'm hoping she will come down lower and the joey might be more visible.

Your friend is so lucky Bricktop.

Frood

Blahhhhhh...

Bricktop

Yeah...THAT shot was the result of around 7 hours of waiting.

My neck aches.

The camera and lens weighs around 3 kg.

For the most part she huddles between leafy branches...50 metres straight up.

I'll take a pic of the tree perhaps, to show you how high it is and how hard it is to spot a koala, especially when its in shadow.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop"Yeah...THAT shot was the result of around 7 hours of waiting.

My neck aches.

The camera and lens weighs around 3 kg.

For the most part she huddles between leafy branches...50 metres straight up.

I'll take a pic of the tree perhaps, to show you how high it is and how hard it is to spot a koala, especially when its in shadow.

It's still a good picture Bricktop.

:smiley_thumbs_up_yellow_ani:

Bricktop

Thank you...I'm hoping she will move to a better location. But with a baby, they head for the highest branches for obvious reasons.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop"https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1852/43616532864_ea03181770.jpg">

That is pretty cool. A lot better than badgers turning gopher holes into big ones that break the legs of cattle when they step in them.

Bricktop

No. The worse they do is throw the branches they don't want to eat from down to the ground, and crap everywhere.

You always know when you have a resident koala. The ground looks like its covered in black olives, and you can smell eucalyptus from their urine.

Seeing one with a joey is less common, because they tend to stay away from urban areas to give birth. We're hoping that she will hang around until the joey becomes mobile.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop"No. The worse they do is throw the branches they don't want to eat from down to the ground, and crap everywhere.

You always know when you have a resident koala. The ground looks like its covered in black olives, and you can smell eucalyptus from their urine.

Seeing one with a joey is less common, because they tend to stay away from urban areas to give birth. We're hoping that she will hang around until the joey becomes mobile.

Like rabbits and hares.

Bricktop

Something like that...except HIGHER.

The fuckers can sit on a twig 100 feet up in a gale.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop"Something like that...except HIGHER.

The fuckers can sit on a twig 100 feet up in a gale.

Do they normally perch themselves that high?

Bricktop

Yes.

The newer shoots and leaves are at the top of the tree, and they prefer those.

They're also much safer. Even cats won't reach them.

Bearing in mind these things are quite large, around the size of a Staffordshire terrier, how they get up there, then just sit and sleep while the tree branches rock in the wind is amazing. On top of that, she's carrying a little one. Just check out the size of the branch she's perched on!

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop"Yes.

The newer shoots and leaves are at the top of the tree, and they prefer those.

They're also much safer. Even cats won't reach them.

Bearing in mind these things are quite large, around the size of a Staffordshire terrier, how they get up there, then just sit and sleep while the tree branches rock in the wind is amazing. On top of that, she's carrying a little one. Just check out the size of the branch she's perched on!

The best dining is near the top.

Bricktop

Its the Penthouse Suite to a koala.

Bricktop

Managed to get a snap of the little one peering out from mama's clutches.

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1882/44480903291_a64b969072_z.jpg">