The best topic

Replies: 7380
Total votes: : 3

Last post: Today at 05:05:17 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Shen Li

Epic Music Thread

Started by Zetsu, September 13, 2018, 05:23:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Zetsu

Quote from: Bricktop post_id=437034 time=1643495045 user_id=1560
A little ELO. "Fire On High"

">

I can tell it's a good classic, but hate to say it, the feel/mood isn't epic as the 1st and 3rd song posted you've posted and composed by Yes.
Permanently off his rocker

Bricktop

OK. Back to Yes.

">

Crank up the volume!!!

Zetsu

Quote from: Bricktop post_id=437127 time=1643580239 user_id=1560
OK. Back to Yes.

">

Crank up the volume!!!

I swear these guys are pure geniuses in the music world, the more I listen to it the more I like it.  ac_cool

Bricktop

What is even more incredible is that they can play this music perfectly LIVE!!!

">

Zetsu

Quote from: Bricktop post_id=437148 time=1643591152 user_id=1560
What is even more incredible is that they can play this music perfectly LIVE!!!

">

Dang, the video happens to be restricted by my region.  Though I've only been to 2 to 3 music concerts in my entire life, but for bands like Yes, I'm not too surprised with the high musical performance during their live concerts, it's hard for me to believe a lot of their songs are composed  5 decades ago, while I doubt songs from singers like Lady Gaga's can last for more than a few years.

Bricktop

Just search Youtube for Yes live.

There are many...going back to 1975 and perhaps earlier. I first saw them in 1972 and we sat in the crowd in awe of what we were hearing.

Bricktop

The mesmerising and complex sounds of King Crimson.

">

Zetsu

Quote from: Bricktop post_id=437170 time=1643610681 user_id=1560
Just search Youtube for Yes live.

There are many...going back to 1975 and perhaps earlier. I first saw them in 1972 and we sat in the crowd in awe of what we were hearing.

I have a good feeling this where song artists get their inspiration from, especially ones that compose epic style music.  Meanwhile I check out more of this legendary band on youtube.  ac_cool

Bricktop

The genre is called Progressive or simply Prog Rock. It was distinguished from the more conventional musical styles of the late 60's by adopting inspiration from classical music structures.

The origins of prog rock, like all origins, are difficult to nail down. It can be argued that the genre was inspired by The Beatles Sgt Peppers album. But it is equally argued that it really began with Vivaldi, Mozart and Beethoven. We can say that prog rock as a genre was initiated by groups such as King Crimson, Yes, Genesis and Pink Floyd. These all cropped up around the same era...late 60's, early 70's. Yes adopted a fusion of classic structures with rock chords in complex and extended songs. Genesis followed a similar line. King Crimson and Pink Floyd were more experimental and less rock oriented.

The genre's golden age was between 69 and the mid to late 70's. Prog rock incorporated lengthy and complex compositions that were not radio friendly, and prog rock bands were criticised for being self indulgent and somewhat pompous. When the punk revolution arrived, prog rock was seen as bourgesoise and decadent and it largely faded away.

However, it has since recovered and has its fan base still. Yes has recently released a new album.

If you want to explore prog rock further let me know. I can send you in all kinds of directions into the prog world. Some of it is epic, some of it is...interesting. Some of it is plain weird.

Bricktop

Many bands joined the prog rock bandwagon but then moved away to different forms. Uriah Heep is one of these...initially adopting a prog rock style but later transforming into hard rock/metal. This is their prog rock opus.

">

Zetsu

It's kind of sad how most prog rock band have slowly faded considering the great potential they had if they continue on till this day.  I very rarely listen to heavy rock or old classics since I seldom enjoy them, but the one you've posted are a completely different level, a lot of epic style/theme musis with modern orchestra mixed with some techno does have some resemblance with prog rock.  I guess epic theme music is more melodic while prog rock gives off a greater vibe/mood.

Bricktop

They are still a matter of taste. And I've only posted those I have enjoyed. There are many more melodic and gentle prog bands such as King Crimson that are more innovative and subtle. But for some they are TOO complex and unstructured. You can't tap your feet to them. And some are downright weird.

Some, like Canada's Rush lean rather too heavily on hard rock elements.

Anonymous

My understanding it that Yes is a typical progressive rock band.

Bricktop

Inasmuch as the word "typical" can apply to prog rock, they are perhaps seen as the most definitive of the genre. But I don't believe the word "typical" can apply.

It is such a broad church.

Anonymous

Quote from: Bricktop post_id=437263 time=1643674039 user_id=1560
Inasmuch as the word "typical" can apply to prog rock, they are perhaps seen as the most definitive of the genre. But I don't believe the word "typical" can apply.

It is such a broad church.

That's how I should have worded it.

Print
User actions