News:

SMF - Just Installed!

The best topic

Replies: 8531
Total votes: : 3

Last post: Today at 01:49:44 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Sloan

A

BALLSONARO, what is the cost of living like in Brazil?

Started by Anonymous, October 08, 2018, 01:12:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Anonymous

Quote from: "cc"My folks lived there a few years. Dad was a steel production engineer, Stelco, retired and went to help Brazil set up a huge mill

They really liked it, but of course they were well taken care of by the govt

Where in Brazil? I have only been to the Eastern  coastal areas. I know Argentina better. My kid brother is married to an Italian Argie.

cc

I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Anonymous

Wazzzup

I stayed in rio for a week in the early 80s.  Beautiful place.  I took a cable car up to sugarloaf mountain, saw corpus Christie and ate Chateaubriand.  I also liked watching the girls and their tiny bikinis on the sunny beach.  I went to a strip club and met a hooker and spent two nights with her (she was clean and beautiful not at all crack whore-like)  One of the American tourists staying at our hotel got robbed and killed.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Wazzzup"I stayed in rio for a week in the early 80s.  Beautiful place.  I took a cable car up to sugarloaf mountain, saw corpus Christie and ate Chateaubriand.  I also liked watching the girls and their tiny bikinis on the sunny beach.  I went to a strip club and met a hooker and spent two nights with her (she was clean and beautiful not at all crack whore-like)  One of the American tourists staying at our hotel got robbed and killed.

:ohmy:

Rancidmilko

Sorry I missed this.

So, over here, some things are expensive, others, not so much.

Someone who has dollars to spend here should be fine, considering $1 = R$3,75 right now. Shouldn't go lower than 3 in the long run either, since exports would suffer too much. Our hope for the future is that wages go up, but not the dollar, that's who things really improve here.

2 pounds of beef, for example, should cost you between 7 or 8 dollars, in a not too expensive city and market, good quality too, it's what I pay

U$2,000 a month would make you upper middle class here if you don't have kids, but a family of 4 could still live comfortably outside of the usual expensive suspects, like Rio or Sao Paulo.

A good house where I live, which is considered an ok city (used to be a lot better) and other middle class boroughs here would cost you around U$200k. With U$500k, you get a mansion with pool and all amenities in a private condo.

Cars and electronics are another story, taxes make them very expensive, the same goes for fuel (right now, it's around 5 dollars a gallon for regular)

Electricity is always very expensive, running A/Cs is now bit of a luxury here.

We have free socialized healthcare, depending on where you live is ok for basic stuff, but you definitely should consider a private plan. Also not expensive when it comes to American price standards

In short, everything imported is expensive, real market is gold if you have dollars to spend.
There\'s always a bigger fish.

Rancidmilko

Quote from: "cc"My folks lived there a few years. Dad was a steel production Engineer at Stelco, retired early and went to help Brazil set up a huge mill

When was that, which decade?

Bricktop

Sounds fairly inexpensive by global standards, or at least on a par with most western first world economies.

So what is the cause of the extreme violence and high murder rate? This is not usual in healthy economic countries.

Bricktop

Quote from: "BALLSONARO"
Quote from: "cc"My folks lived there a few years. Dad was a steel production Engineer at Stelco, retired early and went to help Brazil set up a huge mill

When was that, which decade?

It would be more appropriate to ask cc which CENTURY.

ac_toofunny

cc

I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Rancidmilko

Quote from: "Bricktop"Sounds fairly inexpensive by global standards, or at least on a par with most western first world economies.

So what is the cause of the extreme violence and high murder rate? This is not usual in healthy economic countries.

Shitty culture

Extreme professional victimism

Liberals filling the heads of people with idiotic ideologies and behavior

Brazil is a huge tropical country. It's easy to live here as a hobo, since there's no winter and food is plenty nowadays

There's also the fact that much of the cocaine produced in places like Peru and Bolivia come thru here.

Brazilians like to hit the bottle a lot, they like drugs and we're a  "diverse" society.

And 15 years ago, they started treating the criminals like the victims and tied the hands of the police and the justice.

If there's a place where crime actually pays, it's here.

A couple good scores can yield what someone would need to work for years to make at minimum wage, and it's fairly easy to get away with it

Bricktop

Anonymous

Quote from: "BALLSONARO"Sorry I missed this.

Someone who has dollars to spend here should be fine, considering $1 = R$3,75 right now. Shouldn't go lower than 3 in the long run either, since exports would suffer too much. Our hope for the future is that wages go up, but not the dollar, that's who things really improve here.

2 pounds of beef, for example, should cost you between 7 or 8 dollars, in a not too expensive city and market, good quality too, it's what I pay

U$2,000 a month would make you upper middle class here if you don't have kids, but a family of 4 could still live comfortably outside of the usual expensive suspects, like Rio or Sao Paulo.

A good house where I live, which is considered an ok city (used to be a lot better) and other middle class boroughs here would cost you around U$200k. With U$500k, you get a mansion with pool and all amenities in a private condo.

Cars and electronics are another story, taxes make them very expensive, the same goes for fuel (right now, it's around 5 dollars a gallon for regular)

We have free socialized healthcare, depending on where you live is ok for basic stuff, but you definitely should consider a private plan. Also not expensive when it comes to American price standards

In short, everything imported is expensive, real market is gold if you have dollars to spend.

Rio is not cheap at all. Nor is Sao Paulo like you said. Beef quality in Brazil and Argentina is second to none.

Anonymous

Quote from: "BALLSONARO"Sorry I missed this.

It doesn't seem to be a bargain for Canadians.

Rancidmilko

Quote from: "Bricktop"So, is this a "coloured" thing?

Ok, the huge number is murders is mostly their doing, they kill each other a lot in the slums

But Brazil being a fuck up is also related to the Portuguese culture

It's the whole set of things.