The best topic

Replies: 10550
Total votes: : 4

Last post: October 05, 2024, 09:26:27 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Frood

A

Canadians among world's biggest debtors-we owe $1.71 for every dollar of disposable income

Started by Anonymous, October 25, 2018, 10:16:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop"Our children are paying the price.

Here, they are required to pony up 20% of the asking price of a house as a cash deposit to obtain a mortgage.

Median price here would be around $500K. So young adults have to SAVE $100,000 just to obtain finance. This is because WE have jacked the price of housing artificially high so we can make PROFIT from real estate.

Entry into the housing market is becoming almost impossible for average wage earners.

So...what happens now is we have to either give them the cash, or more likely, guarantee their loan with our property or equity.

Put another way...we have to pay for their home.

We had the opposite problem, with too many people who could not afford a mortgage qualifying with only five per cent down.

Anonymous

Quote from: "JOE"
Quote from: "seoulbro"Canadian households owed more than $2.1T at end of September, up 1.4% from summer levels

Canadians owe $1.71 for every dollar of disposable income they had in the third quarter of 2017, the highest amount on record.

Statistics Canada reported Thursday that Canadian households owed more than $2.1 trillion at the end of September, up 1.4 per cent from the summer. Mortgages were the biggest chunk of that debt, up 1.5 per cent in the previous three months to $1.3 trillion.

Household debt is often cited as a key risk to the Canadian economy by the Bank of Canada and others.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/debt-income-1.4448098">https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/debt-income-1.4448098

And the amount of debt Canadians owe has only gone up since this was published. We are the most indebted country in the OECD and there will likely be a lost decade when the consumer debt bubble bursts.

A thoughtful post, sb.

Thanks for the reminder.

I think much of the reason for this debt are the prices families pay for real estate now.

What our parents used to $10,000 for a house, now the same home costs $500,000 or more.

In Vancouver, that home is $1,000,000 and up.

Cripes no wonder so many are broke.

We're setting ourselves up for a 1990s Japan style housing bubble one day.

...but at least there should be a lot of bargains to be had after the crash.

This thread is not really about a housing bubble, but that is part of the problem..

When the housing bubble burst in Japan, Japanese had lots of savings in postal accounts, but they wouldn't spend it..

Canadians have consumer debt, not savings.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Fashionista"
Quote from: "JOE"
Quote from: "seoulbro"Canadian households owed more than $2.1T at end of September, up 1.4% from summer levels

Canadians owe $1.71 for every dollar of disposable income they had in the third quarter of 2017, the highest amount on record.

Statistics Canada reported Thursday that Canadian households owed more than $2.1 trillion at the end of September, up 1.4 per cent from the summer. Mortgages were the biggest chunk of that debt, up 1.5 per cent in the previous three months to $1.3 trillion.

Household debt is often cited as a key risk to the Canadian economy by the Bank of Canada and others.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/debt-income-1.4448098">https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/debt-income-1.4448098

And the amount of debt Canadians owe has only gone up since this was published. We are the most indebted country in the OECD and there will likely be a lost decade when the consumer debt bubble bursts.

A thoughtful post, sb.

Thanks for the reminder.

I think much of the reason for this debt are the prices families pay for real estate now.

What our parents used to $10,000 for a house, now the same home costs $500,000 or more.

In Vancouver, that home is $1,000,000 and up.

Cripes no wonder so many are broke.

We're setting ourselves up for a 1990s Japan style housing bubble one day.

...but at least there should be a lot of bargains to be had after the crash.

This thread is not really about a housing bubble, but that is part of the problem..

When the housing bubble burst in Japan, Japanese had lots of savings in postal accounts, but they wouldn't spend it..

Canadians have consumer debt, not savings.

It was was just another attempted discussion derailment by Joe. What else is new.

Chuck Bronson

Quote from: "seoulbro"It was was just another attempted discussion derailment by Joe. What else is new.

What did he derail?  The only derailing I see in this thread is by you.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Chuck Bronson"
Quote from: "seoulbro"It was was just another attempted discussion derailment by Joe. What else is new.

What did he derail?  The only derailing I see in this thread is by you.

I'm not surprised you would say that.

cc

I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Anonymous

In fairness to old Joe, it was one of the few posts that he did not insert Republicans and right wing. ac_toofunny

Anonymous

Quote from: "Herman"In fairness to old Joe, it was one of the few posts that he did not insert Republicans and right wing. ac_toofunny

I don't mean to derail the thread any further, but Joe thinks the GOP is not as accommodating of the transgendered community as they could be.

Anonymous

Quote from: "iron horse jockey"
Quote from: "Herman"In fairness to old Joe, it was one of the few posts that he did not insert Republicans and right wing. ac_toofunny

I don't mean to derail the thread any further, but Joe thinks the GOP is not as accommodating of the transgendered community as they could be.

Has old Joe made the transition yet?

Berry Sweet

Quote from: "cc"When one factors home loans at prices today, maybe it's not too bad? Many mortgages are in the 100s of $1000

We know so many people with a mortgage, car payments, and credit card debt they can't afford..

And they have good jobs.

Cause they dont live within their means.  They all want, want, want...spend, spend, spend.

Just because a person makes good money doesnt mean they should buy up everything cause "they can afford it".....I too know people like this....I dont like hearing about their debt problems...they did that to themselves and it's no ones fault but their own.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Berry Sweet"
Quote from: "cc"When one factors home loans at prices today, maybe it's not too bad? Many mortgages are in the 100s of $1000

We know so many people with a mortgage, car payments, and credit card debt they can't afford..

And they have good jobs.

Cause they dont live within their means.  They all want, want, want...spend, spend, spend.

Just because a person makes good money doesnt mean they should buy up everything cause "they can afford it".....I too know people like this....I dont like hearing about their debt problems...they did that to themselves and it's no ones fault but their own.

Some people have a hard time waiting and saving for something..

It's always cheaper that way.

Berry Sweet

And they have good jobs.

That's the problem.  They want it right now.  It like it's a big competition or something.   All these people I see everyday in their flashy cars, Starbucks coffee and dressed to the nines...none of them actually own a single thing they have, they're still paying for it.  It's quite hilarious really.

Anonymous

And they have good jobs.

That's the problem.  They want it right now.  It like it's a big competition or something.   All these people I see everyday in their flashy cars, Starbucks coffee and dressed to the nines...none of them actually own a single thing they have, they're still paying for it.  It's quite hilarious really.

It's irresponsible and immature.

Berry Sweet

And they have good jobs.

It's irresponsible and immature.

Theres no shortage of these kinds of people.

I once saw a video of this guy...he was a teller at a bank...he was explaining two kinds of people, and it's TRUE....first kind is the person in the new hot car dressed to the nines, but have nothing in their bank account and have massive debt....the second kind is the person who drives and older car and dressed like a regular person, and actually has a savings, some of them have millions, youd never guess.   That's being smart.