The best topic

Replies: 10403
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 07:05:02 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by James Bond

Classic Bureaucratic idiocy - Coffee shop fined $300 for sign about how many cups they've kept out of landfill

Started by cc, October 26, 2018, 06:11:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cc

https://www.foxnews.com/food-drink/new-york-coffee-shop-fined-300-by-sanitation-department-for-sign-announcing-how-many-cups-theyve-kept-out-of-landfill">New York coffee shop fined $300 for sign about how many cups they've kept out of landfill

Diamond's business, in Carroll Gardens, Brooklyn, encourages customers to bring their own cup in order to reduce single-use options and earn a 10 percent discount for doing so.

https://a57.foxnews.com/static.foxnews.com/foxnews.com/content/uploads/2018/10/1862/1048/Sign-Smith-Canteen.jpg?ve=1&tl=1">

"I've been spending a lot of money and time trying to figure out waste reduction, composting, and single-use plastic alternatives at the Canteen, so this really burns me," lady owner wrote.

https://a57.foxnews.com/static.foxnews.com/foxnews.com/content/uploads/2018/10/1862/1048/coffee-shop.jpg?ve=1&tl=1">

She also said they do their part to help keep the street in front of their shop clean. "We keep our corner storefront as tidy as possible, sweep regularly, clean up all the litter that blows down the street, and take care of our tree pit like good citizens," Diamond wrote

After initially pursuing the fine, due only to very bad FaceBook publicity about it, city "fine"ally backed down.
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Bricktop

A bit of a distortion there. The sign's message is not the issue. It could proclaim that Jesus is serving coffee inside for all that mattered.

The offence is placing a sandwich board sign on the footpath. This is hardly uncommon, and most traders are fully aware of the signage regulations in their areas.

Many city streets here forbid sandwich board signs for obvious reasons. Pedestrians come first.

In Australia we call this a "furphy"...a story that's not a story at all.

cc

I read that the sign was totally legal because the sidewalk was well over the minimum width  ... and it's allowed today as well as for many years

So sign itself  is not a valid issue

Good plan.  "Jesus is serving coffee inside" would become a draw.  This ain't Starbucks

Bricktop

Well, I fail to see how the contents of a sign could be deemed illegal unless it was offensive. And that wasn't offensive.

The report itself implies it was the sign that was the problem, not the text...and that the council withdrew the fine.

Furphy.

cc

Anonymous

Quote from: "cc"https://www.foxnews.com/food-drink/new-york-coffee-shop-fined-300-by-sanitation-department-for-sign-announcing-how-many-cups-theyve-kept-out-of-landfill">New York coffee shop fined $300 for sign about how many cups they've kept out of landfill

Diamond's business, in Carroll Gardens, Brooklyn, encourages customers to bring their own cup in order to reduce single-use options and earn a 10 percent discount for doing so.

https://a57.foxnews.com/static.foxnews.com/foxnews.com/content/uploads/2018/10/1862/1048/Sign-Smith-Canteen.jpg?ve=1&tl=1">

"I've been spending a lot of money and time trying to figure out waste reduction, composting, and single-use plastic alternatives at the Canteen, so this really burns me," lady owner wrote.

https://a57.foxnews.com/static.foxnews.com/foxnews.com/content/uploads/2018/10/1862/1048/coffee-shop.jpg?ve=1&tl=1">

She also said they do their part to help keep the street in front of their shop clean. "We keep our corner storefront as tidy as possible, sweep regularly, clean up all the litter that blows down the street, and take care of our tree pit like good citizens," Diamond wrote

After initially pursuing the fine, due only to very bad FaceBook publicity about it, city "fine"ally backed down.

:crazy:

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop"A bit of a distortion there. The sign's message is not the issue. It could proclaim that Jesus is serving coffee inside for all that mattered.

The offence is placing a sandwich board sign on the footpath. This is hardly uncommon, and most traders are fully aware of the signage regulations in their areas.

Many city streets here forbid sandwich board signs for obvious reasons. Pedestrians come first.

In Australia we call this a "furphy"...a story that's not a story at all.

Still, it seems petty.

Bricktop

Sandwich board signs can be hazardous and constricting. In narrow streets and footpaths they can be dangerous. If I remember correctly, they are banned everywhere in London.

Chuck Bronson

Bricktop is correct.  In Langley City, sandwich signs are one of the most common issues dealt with by by-law officers.  They are permitted, but I couldn't be bothered to pull up the by-law regs...  But no, they can't impede foot traffic.

Rancidmilko

There\'s always a bigger fish.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Chuck Bronson"Bricktop is correct.  In Langley City, sandwich signs are one of the most common issues dealt with by by-law officers.  They are permitted, but I couldn't be bothered to pull up the by-law regs...  But no, they can't impede foot traffic.

I don't know what the bylaws in Calgary are like regarding sandwich boards..

I believe they are on Electric Avenue.

Bricktop

Sandwich boards are banned in many places, all over the world.

They can be a real hazard, particularly on days of high wind and rain when footpaths are narrow in busy areas, or on the side of very busy highways.

Their purpose is benign...but they are not always safe.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop"Sandwich boards are banned in many places, all over the world.

They can be a real hazard, particularly on days of high wind and rain when footpaths are narrow in busy areas, or on the side of very busy highways.

Their purpose is benign...but they are not always safe.

I suppose you're right.

Anonymous

Quote from: "BALLSONARO"
Quote from: "Bricktop" they are banned everywhere in London.

BAN LONDON!

Great idea. ac_drinks

Anonymous

Quote from: "BALLSONARO"
Quote from: "Bricktop" they are banned everywhere in London.

BAN LONDON!

Your president-elect is causing a stir globally..

Maybe some people will ban Rio as a travel destination.