The best topic

Replies: 10410
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 07:12:59 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by DKG

More than half of new immigrants to Israel in 2018 not considered Jewish

Started by Gaon, January 08, 2019, 11:22:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Gaon

Many Russian immigrants with an Ashekenazi background are not considered Jewish. We are loyal Israelis, but widely seen as outsiders because we are not religious. A lot of Russians in Israel even celebrate Christmas.

Official statistics say just 39% of last year's 30,300 immigrants, or 12,600 new Israelis, count as Jewish by standards of state rabbinate.

More than half of the immigrants to Israel in 2018 were not recognized as Jewish under religious law.

According to end of year data released by the Central Bureau of Statistics, of the 30,300 immigrants who arrived in Israel last year under the Law of Return, some 12,600 were recognized as Jewish and 17,700 were not.

That means 54 percent of the new immigrants were not Jewish by the standards of Israel's state rabbinate. Some 39% were recognized as Jewish and 7% were Arab.

Under the Law of Return, anyone with a Jewish grandparent can immigrate to Israel. But he or she must have a Jewish mother in order to be registered as Jewish by the state's religious authorities.

Most of the immigrants came from Russia, Ukraine, France, and the United States.

Up to 400,000 citizens of Israel are registered as "lacking a religion" by the Interior Ministry because they are not Jewish according to halacha, or Jewish law.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/more-than-half-of-new-immigrants-to-israel-in-2018-not-considered-jewish/">https://www.timesofisrael.com/more-than ... ed-jewish/">https://www.timesofisrael.com/more-than-half-of-new-immigrants-to-israel-in-2018-not-considered-jewish/
The Russian Rock It

Anonymous

QuoteThat means 54 percent of the new immigrants were not Jewish by the standards of Israel's state rabbinate. Some 39% were recognized as Jewish and 7% were Arab.

How can Arabs immigrate to Israel? Marriage?

Bricktop

Gaon

Quote from: "Bricktop"If I eat bagels, do I qualify?

That and a cheap conversion or fake ketuba and the Ministry of Absorption will welcome you with benefits.
The Russian Rock It

Gaon

Quote from: "Shen Li"
QuoteThat means 54 percent of the new immigrants were not Jewish by the standards of Israel's state rabbinate. Some 39% were recognized as Jewish and 7% were Arab.

How can Arabs immigrate to Israel? Marriage?

Some perhaps, but most would be Arabs would be Law of Return as Mizrahim, but not actually Jews by the chief rabbinate.
The Russian Rock It

Bricktop

Quote from: "Gaon"

That and a cheap conversion or fake ketuba and the Ministry of Absorption will welcome you with benefits.

Oy vay!!!  :yahoo:

A ticket I'm buying!!!

Gaon

Quote from: "Bricktop"
Quote from: "Gaon"

Oy vay!!!  :yahoo:

A ticket I'm buying!!!

Do you see how why the Law of Return must be scrapped? We had South Americans with cheap conversions milking it. Scouse on VF is mistaken about the Jewish homeland.
The Russian Rock It

Bricktop

I think my problem will be that Israel won't allow me to hold THREE passports. I suspect I'd have to renounce one of my citizenships.

Gaon

Quote from: "Bricktop"I think my problem will be that Israel won't allow me to hold THREE passports. I suspect I'd have to renounce one of my citizenships.

Israel allows multiple citizenships, but you must enter and exit the country with an Israeli passport.
The Russian Rock It

Bricktop

Gaon

Quote from: "Bricktop"I could do that.

Better brush up on my hebrew.

The Ministry of Absorption helps with that too. My parents didn't speak any Hebrew when they made aliyah.
The Russian Rock It

Bricktop

I just found out I have to undergo some....er...surgery to be Jewish.

I'm out.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop"I just found out I have to undergo some....er...surgery to be Jewish.

I'm out.

You aint circumsized?

Bricktop

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop"Hell no. I need all the length I can get!!!

ac_blush