Replies: 10401
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 06:19:55 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Lab Flaker

AAA: Cold weather can cut electric car range over 40 per cent

Started by Anonymous, March 04, 2019, 02:46:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Electric vehicles don't seem like the right type of vehicles for Western Canada's extreme winters.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/autos/aaa-cold-weather-can-cut-electric-car-range-over-40-per-cent-1.4286285">https://www.ctvnews.ca/autos/aaa-cold-w ... -1.4286285">https://www.ctvnews.ca/autos/aaa-cold-weather-can-cut-electric-car-range-over-40-per-cent-1.4286285

DETROIT -- Cold temperatures can sap electric car batteries, temporarily reducing their range by more than 40 per cent when interior heaters are used, a new study found.

The study of five electric vehicles by AAA also found that high temperatures can cut into battery range, but not nearly as much as the cold. The range returns to normal in more comfortable temperatures.

Many owners discovered the range limitations last week when much of the country was in the grips of a polar vortex. Owners of vehicles made by manufacturers including Tesla, the top-selling electric vehicle company in the U.S., complained on social media about reduced range and frozen door handles during the cold snap.

As long as drivers understand that there are limitations when operating electric vehicles in more extreme climates, they are less likely to be caught off guard by an unexpected drop in driving range," Greg Brannon, AAA's director of automotive engineering, said in a statement.

AAA tested the BMW i3s, Chevrolet Bolt and Nissan Leaf from the 2018 model year, and the 2017 Tesla Model S 75D and Volkswagen e-Golf. All have a range of at least 100 miles per charge. They were tested on a dynamometer, which is like a treadmill, in a climate-controlled cell.

The automobile club tested the cars at 20 degrees and 95 degrees, comparing the range to when they were tested at 75 degrees Fahrenheit, according to a report on the study.

At 20 degrees, the average driving range fell by 12 per cent when the car's cabin heater was not used. When the heater was turned on, the range dropped by 41 per cent, AAA said.

Anonymous

Zetsu is a fan of e-vehicles. I told him I'm not as convinced yet. This is one of the reasons why.

Frood

Cold also cuts down the urge for Boom Boom by at least 40%.
Blahhhhhh...

Anonymous

Quote from: "Dinky Dianna"Cold also cuts down the urge for Boom Boom by at least 40%.

And the tests they did were only at -6 celcius..

In the month of February, we had several nights of -30 which would mean they lose much more than 40%.

Anonymous

Electric cars are okay I guess for city driving in moderate climates. But, without government subsidies I don't think they could stand on their own two feet.

cc

Quote from: "Dinky Dianna"Cold also cuts down the urge for Boom Boom by at least 40%.

Not inside with the fire cracklin  :sneaky2:
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

cc

Quote from: "seoulbro"Electric cars are okay I guess for city driving in moderate climates. But, without government subsidies I don't think they could stand on their own two feet.

And if ANY item can't cut long without ongoing govt help, it does not belong

Frood

Quote from: "Fashionista"

And the tests they did were only at -6 celcius..

In the month of February, we had several nights of -30 which would mean they lose much more than 40%.

How can you bear to be bare enough to make babies in that?  ac_crying

Quote from: "seoulbro"Electric cars are okay I guess for city driving in moderate climates. But, without government subsidies I don't think they could stand on their own two feet.

Unless they're being manufactured with and charged with renewable energy like hydro or solar, it's still kicking the can down the road and relying on combustible power plants. Seems like an exercise in carnival card games.
Blahhhhhh...

Frood

Quote from: "cc"

Not inside with the fire cracklin  :sneaky2:

Now I understand the origins of nordic saunas.
Blahhhhhh...

cc

QuoteUnless they're being manufactured with and charged with renewable energy like hydro or solar, it's still kicking the can down the road and relying on combustible power plants. Seems like an exercise in carnival card games.
It is carnival

A hoax

https://www.blazingcatfur.ca/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/electric-car-climate-change-agw-global-warming-400x288.jpg">

Anonymous

Quote from: "Dinky Dianna"

Unless they're being manufactured with and charged with renewable energy like hydro or solar, it's still kicking the can down the road and relying on combustible power plants. Seems like an exercise in carnival card games.

And than there is the raw materials. Steel and plastics are not made from solar. Which reminds me that solar panels are made from rare earth metals that require a lot of traditional sources of power to extract and refine.

Frood

Exactly, and newer batteries too.
Blahhhhhh...

JOE

I believe this story has its merits and is fair comment on electric only vehicles, Fashionista.

If I were to go on the electric route, it'd most likely be a hybrid.

There are simply too many variables which would make electric only vehicles a somewhat risky choice for adverse weather conditions.

They aren't there quite yet. They might be one day but not yet

I suspect the same may be true for hydrogen powered cars Honda made as a prototype

Frood

It's a convenient way to strip everyday people of mobility and the ability to travel great distances.
Blahhhhhh...

Anonymous

Quote from: "Dinky Dianna"Exactly, and newer batteries too.

That too. How do we contain the toxic hazards of old batteries. The world is having a hard enough time now with electronic waste.

I know some countries have ambitious plans for e-vehicles, but unless there are huge engineering changes, I don't see how theycan completely supplant combustible engines.