The best topic

Replies: 10472
Total votes: : 4

Last post: September 27, 2024, 06:55:02 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by DKG

The 15/hr bullshit

Started by Rancidmilko, April 09, 2019, 12:36:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 3 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Frood

Quote from: seoulbro post_id=431459 time=1639963887 user_id=114
Quote from: "Dinky Dazza" post_id=431458 time=1639963663 user_id=1676
Quote from: seoulbro post_id=431456 time=1639963417 user_id=114
Quote from: "Dinky Dazza" post_id=431449 time=1639962922 user_id=1676
Quote from: Bricktop post_id=431432 time=1639950186 user_id=1560

You might want to consider moving to the economic paradise that is the USA, then.

I want nothing to do with the US, as it stands now.

The US is still salvageable. If it continued as is for another decade it wouldn't be.

Too much is being spent now. The dollar is rapidly devaluating before people's eyes.

Absolutely. But, there's still a window to redeem itself. If they win the house next year and the presidency in 24, they will have to act fast. The problem is that Trump Republicans do not believe debt is one of the biggest problems facing the US.

Traditionally, wars happen around periods of American fiscal recklessness.
Blahhhhhh...

Anonymous

Quote from: seoulbro post_id=431459 time=1639963887 user_id=114
 The problem is that Trump Republicans do not believe debt is one of the biggest problems facing the US.

Because it's not.

Bricktop

Quote from: "iron horse jockey" post_id=431447 time=1639962725 user_id=2015
All my life I have been in favour of higher minimum wages. But, as they have rose in just about every province, overall industrial wages have flatlined or even been clawed back.

Whilst generally agreeing with minimum wage awards, they do have a significant drawback.

In Australia, the increments by which it is increased are small. Maybe 2 to 3% tops.

This is because the Wages Tribunal is fully aware that opening the tap too much will create significant unemployment as employers shed staff to reduce the wages bill.

Some years ago, the minimum wage was increased by substantial amounts and employers screamed as their feet were held to the fire by unions.

Then they started laying off staff, or reducing their hiring rate and the unions got a taste of their own medicine.

Thus, managing a minimum wage is a delicate balancing act that is incredibly complex in the modern world.

Anonymous

Quote from: Bricktop post_id=431499 time=1639975090 user_id=1560
Quote from: "iron horse jockey" post_id=431447 time=1639962725 user_id=2015
All my life I have been in favour of higher minimum wages. But, as they have rose in just about every province, overall industrial wages have flatlined or even been clawed back.

Whilst generally agreeing with minimum wage awards, they do have a significant drawback.

In Australia, the increments by which it is increased are small. Maybe 2 to 3% tops.

This is because the Wages Tribunal is fully aware that opening the tap too much will create significant unemployment as employers shed staff to reduce the wages bill.

Some years ago, the minimum wage was increased by substantial amounts and employers screamed as their feet were held to the fire by unions.

Then they started laying off staff, or reducing their hiring rate and the unions got a taste of their own medicine.

Thus, managing a minimum wage is a delicate balancing act that is incredibly complex in the modern world.

If minimum wage had been raised at reasonable yearly rates in Canadian provinces, current rates would not be a burden on small business owners. But, the left pushed for overnight thirty plus per cent increases which forced employers to reduce staff or go out of business.

Bricktop

Exactly. That was the situation here in the 80's when unions were at their strongest.

When unemployment went up, the penny dropped. One man's raise is another man's termination.

Frood

One union man's unrewarded work performance is another union man's easy street...
Blahhhhhh...

Anonymous

Quote from: Bricktop post_id=431510 time=1639978075 user_id=1560
Exactly. That was the situation here in the 80's when unions were at their strongest.

When unemployment went up, the penny dropped. One man's raise is another man's termination.

Who gets an overnight thirty to forty percent raise. That is what Canadian provinces did to small business owners. In provinces like Ontario, thousands shut down for good or quickly sacked staff.

Bricktop

Anonymous

Quote from: Bricktop post_id=431530 time=1639981300 user_id=1560
That was a stupid move.

Nobody has accused Canada of being a smart country for a hell of a long time.

Bricktop

I would have been surprised by that comment until you voted Trudeau in 3 times.

Now, I'm not so sure...

Anonymous

Quote from: Bricktop post_id=431570 time=1640039146 user_id=1560
I would have been surprised by that comment until you voted Trudeau in 3 times.

Now, I'm not so sure...

His party didn't win the popular vote in the last two elections....the Conservatives did.

Bricktop

Further evidence, not that any is required, that democracy in its current guise is failing and does not work as it should.

Anonymous

Quote from: Bricktop post_id=431604 time=1640054986 user_id=1560
Further evidence, not that any is required, that democracy in its current guise is failing and does not work as it should.

We know.

Anonymous

A small business owner responds. It's from the US, but it's applicable to Canada,

https://assets.rebelmouse.io/eyJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiIsInR5cCI6IkpXVCJ9.eyJpbWFnZSI6Imh0dHBzOi8vYXNzZXRzLnJibC5tcy8yODI3MTU1My9vcmlnaW4ucG5nIiwiZXhwaXJlc19hdCI6MTY2MDIwMjUwMn0.dZjRPTNGXpEZqkv3TCnEXOVjCH4vCWkD3h4y3kgNGNo/img.png?width=980">

Odinson

The problem in Finland that you aint getting enough hours.

Any pay is bad when you dont have enough hours.