The best topic

Replies: 10472
Total votes: : 4

Last post: September 27, 2024, 06:55:02 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by DKG

The 15/hr bullshit

Started by Rancidmilko, April 09, 2019, 12:36:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 6 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

cc

Quote from: Bricktop post_id=430962 time=1639617978 user_id=1560 America, and perhaps Canada, have embedded tipping into its economic culture.

How can they answer?r the question of "would they prefer a reliable wage" when they've never had that opportunity.

It has been answered several times. Several  cities have tried it and it became hard to get employees as their take-home was lowered greatly

Fash has experience in the industry and is spot on with what happens when it is tried

Whether bar & restaurant employees would get a fair wage is not the problem. That they will make a lot less is the problem ... It is only the tipping that makes the job attractive to them .. they have the opportunity to earn more by working better for clients
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Bricktop

This doesn't address the question.

Where's the data and references. How much was their take home pay relative to gratuities? Why did gratuities not continue? What is their industry award rate?

Failure may not be because of the principle, but because of inept practice.

cc

It IS the question

Stats would be difficult to locate if they even exist.

Bottom line is that it failed miserably wherever it was attempted - I'm only referring to the food / beverage industry where tips can become a very good wage for those who do their job well .. some can make 2 or 3 times or even more than any minimum wage .. so the "good ones" move on to greener pastures ... leaving employers with no one and / or inferior help (both of which is a disaster to the businesses)

Just today mate left a 5$ tip for a very good lunch waiter who always goes the extra mile. That person had several tables on the go + current minimum wage. It doesn't take a mathematician to figure what's what

They share with cooking staff meaning as known regulars we also get "extra attention" & "perfect for us cooking" .. extra lemon etc. etc.  ..

it's a win/win for all 3 of us parties
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Anonymous

Quote from: Bricktop post_id=430962 time=1639617978 user_id=1560
I repeat...tipping is NOT removed.

That would be impossible.

Employees must be paid a fair wage for a fair days work.

If 5 people come into the restaurant in a single day, why should the employee lose money? They have no control over how the business is managed and marketed.

If you asked the same question of Australian hospitality workers, there is NO way they would wish to subsist on gratuity. The industry attracts workers because it offers fair reward. America, and perhaps Canada, have embedded tipping into its economic culture. How can they answer the question of "would they prefer a reliable wage" when they've never had that opportunity.

You might as well ask a Chinese if he would prefer McDonalds over the Golden Lotus restaurant.

I know this is hard for an Aussie to understand. Fash is an ex waitress as is one of my sisters.

I will bet anything wait staff in Canada earned more money than people doing similar jobs in Australia before they started raising the minimum wage which raised the price of food which is kiling the tipping culture.

You clear $300 on a Saturday night vs paying taxes on $140. Which would you prefer? And even covering the slow nights, they still do better in a week than under Australia's straight wage system. They can't find people to serve anymore since they jacked up the minimum wage. Nobody likes it, escept for governments like the Seoul brother said.

Anonymous

Quote from: cc post_id=430968 time=1639618897 user_id=88
It IS the question

Stats would be difficult to locate if they even exist.

Bottom line is that it failed miserably wherever it was attempted - I'm only referring to the food / beverage industry where tips can become a very good wage for those who do their job well .. some can make 2 or 3 times or even more than any minimum wage .. so the "good ones" move on to greener pastures ... leaving employers with no one and / or inferior help (both of which is a disaster to the businesses)

Just today mate left a 5$ tip for a very good lunch waiter who always goes the extra mile. That person had several tables on the go + current minimum wage. It doesn't take a mathematician to figure what's what

They share with cooking staff meaning as known regulars we also get "extra attention" & "perfect for us cooking" .. extra lemon etc. etc.  ..

it's a win/win for all 3 of us parties

The tipping culture still exists in Saskatcherwan. We haven't gotten stupid with the minimum wage increases like other provinces have. A good server here can make a wage to buy a house on. To go on a foreign holiday, buy a toy like a quad.  That would be damn near impossible in Australia.

Anonymous

Everybody is probably wondering what does Shen Li think about this? How would Shen Li handle this?

Relax people, I will answer your questions. I'm tipping less as restaurant prices have gone up.

Odinson

We dont have that tipping culture.

The waiters and waitresses get hourly rates.

Anonymous

Quote from: Odinson post_id=430980 time=1639623859 user_id=136
We dont have that tipping culture.

The waiters and waitresses get hourly rates.

They probably earn less than what servers used to make here before the government decided tipping is bad.

Bricktop

I will absolutely guarantee you that those who earned a living on tips did not declare their income correctly for taxation purposes.

Anyone who claims they did so is having us on.

If you declared your full income and paid tax on it, I wonder how much you'd have in your pocket then.

Anonymous

Quote from: Bricktop post_id=430991 time=1639626335 user_id=1560
I will absolutely guarantee you that those who earned a living on tips did not declare their income correctly for taxation purposes.

If you declared your full income and paid tax on it, I wonder how much you'd have in your pocket then.

Fash might have, but no other waitress has ever done that.

This is the real reason why libtards are so gung ho to raise the minimum wage even though the people their legislation is supposed to help don't want it. Wages go up, so do marginal tax rates. Governments get more $$. Servers get less.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Shen Li" post_id=430997 time=1639627017 user_id=56
Quote from: Bricktop post_id=430991 time=1639626335 user_id=1560

Fash might have, but no other waitress has ever done that.

This is the real reason why libtards are so gung ho to raise the minimum wage even though the people their legislation is supposed to help don't want it. Wages go up, so do marginal tax rates. Governments get more $$. Servers get less.

It's working the way politicians knew it would.

Bricktop

So, is there a reason that hospitality workers should not pay their fair share of tax?

Frood

No tax is fair. Taxation is theft no matter the window dressing.
Blahhhhhh...

Bricktop

Whilst not entirely unsympathetic to that principle, how are YOU going to pay for the highway to Melbourne, then?

Frood

Quote from: Bricktop post_id=431021 time=1639630789 user_id=1560
Whilst not entirely unsympathetic to that principle, how are YOU going to pay for the highway to Melbourne, then?

It isn't well maintained as it is.... full of potholes and crumbling.

It would be better to allow them to revert to their natural states but wankers with low suspension'd sporty cars throw fits constantly that their prized possessions need everything paved on the rest of our dime.

My road is a good example. It's never been paved....yet these morons buy houses on it then start petitions from the Council to jack all of our rates so they don't get their overwaxed babies all dusty.
Blahhhhhh...