News:

SMF - Just Installed!

The best topic

Replies: 10401
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 06:19:55 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Lab Flaker

Preferential Voting - why you should be worried.

Started by Bricktop, May 08, 2019, 07:04:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bricktop

I understand your wise and erudite Prime Minister is promoting the implementation of preferential voting over your current first-past-the-post process.

He seems to be well stocked with silly ideas.

Here's why you should resist any changes to your system. While he craves for preferential voting, he should be reminded that Australians wish it would go away.

">

Avoid at all costs. It is a plague, and one of the reasons I refuse to vote...and break the law in so doing.

Remember, if a politician thinks changing the system is a good idea then you can be sure it only benefits politicians.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop"I understand your wise and erudite Prime Minister is promoting the implementation of preferential voting over your current first-past-the-post process.

He seems to be well stocked with silly ideas.

Here's why you should resist any changes to your system. While he craves for preferential voting, he should be reminded that Australians wish it would go away.

">

Avoid at all costs. It is a plague, and one of the reasons I refuse to vote...and break the law in so doing.

Remember, if a politician thinks changing the system is a good idea then you can be sure it only benefits politicians.
Trudeau campaigned on ending first past the post, but he abandoned the idea. His preference was preferential voting too as you said.

Bricktop

It facilitates corruption and party duplicity, as well as enabling candidates with a paltry number of votes to enter Parliament and wield disproportionate influence on how the nation is governed. We have one Senator with 13 votes...another who received 40 votes. That is NOT proportional representation.

Parties barter their preferences to make shadowy "back room" deals and alliances without the voters having a clue what they are actually voting for.

Parties hand out their "how to vote" cards and the sheep just copy it in the booth because it's too hard to work out for yourself how you want preferences among up to 80 candidates distributed.  

It is a farce.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop"It facilitates corruption and party duplicity, as well as enabling candidates with a paltry number of votes to enter Parliament and wield disproportionate influence on how the nation is governed. We have one Senator with 13 votes...another who received 40 votes. That is NOT proportional representation.

Parties barter their preferences to make shadowy "back room" deals and alliances without the voters having a clue what they are actually voting for.

Parties hand out their "how to vote" cards and the sheep just copy it in the booth because it's too hard to work out for yourself how you want preferences among up to 80 candidates distributed.  

It is a farce.

Ironically, the first past the post system is what gave Trudeau a massive majority with only 39.5% of the vote,

Gaon

We have proportional representation in Israel, with the threshold being 3.25%.
The Russian Rock It

Bricktop

And you end up with a fragmented political system.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop"And you end up with a fragmented political system.

They always have coalition governments.

Bricktop

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop"We're heading in that direction.

Who will prop up Labor?

Bricktop

Anonymous

Anonymous

I predict that Trudeau will remain as pm after the October election by being propped up by extreme left New Democratic Party.

Gaon

Quote from: "Bricktop"The Greens.

A Labor-Green coalition would be terrible. I hope for the sake of Australia, it's just one term.
The Russian Rock It

Bricktop

When the Greens are involved, it usually is.

People remember the last coalition when Parliament was hung. During the campaign, the idiot Labor PM said there will be NO carbon tax if she were elected.

The voting resulted in a hung parliament, so she did a deal with the Greens to take control and retain her job.

Within a month, there was a carbon tax.

3 years later, she was out of a job, the conservatives won and the carbon tax was repealed.

The Greens will do exactly the same thing given the chance.

Gaon

Quote from: "Bricktop"When the Greens are involved, it usually is.

People remember the last coalition when Parliament was hung. During the campaign, the idiot Labor PM said there will be NO carbon tax if she were elected.

The voting resulted in a hung parliament, so she did a deal with the Greens to take control and retain her job.

Within a month, there was a carbon tax.

3 years later, she was out of a job, the conservatives won and the carbon tax was repealed.

The Greens will do exactly the same thing given the chance.

I do not follow Canadian politics as closely as I do Israeli politics, but as I understands it, the Conservatives will repeal the carbon tax if they win the election. It will not affect me in BC though, because there is a provincial carbon tax that was recently raised. There is a labor-Green government in British Columbia.
The Russian Rock It