Last post: September 21, 2024, 09:47:30 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Herman

Oh, look...another shooting in the USA.

Started by Bricktop, July 29, 2019, 12:08:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bricktop

Quote from: "Peaches"

You make a valid point   ac_biggrin

It's not as though anything Brick posts on a Canadian message board from Oz is going to have the slightest effect on US gun laws and gun culture.

Why, then, do you advocate progressive politics in a forum filled with conservatives? Are you hoping to recruit new accolytes to your ideology.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop"
Quote from: "Peaches"

You make a valid point   ac_biggrin

It's not as though anything Brick posts on a Canadian message board from Oz is going to have the slightest effect on US gun laws and gun culture.

Why, then, do you advocate progressive politics in a forum filled with conservatives? Are you hoping to recruit new accolytes to your ideology.

No, of course not.  I only do it to introduce the very faint possibility of a balance into the rightie nest that BC is.  Or, some suggest, just for the sole purpose of pissing people off.

But more seriously, I think it's a bit of a reach to describe my politics as "progressive" in the sense most BCers use the term, and certainly incorrect to suggest that I "advocate" them.

Bricktop

Well, the point I'm making is that we all raise issues we feel strongly about, regardless of the cosmopolitan makeup of our audience.

But, I shall be honest and admit that I believe that if enough people shine a light on an issue, no matter where it is, others might think "maybe we're wrong" and perhaps reconsider their position. If Americans realise there are other nations who don't permit wholesale gun ownership yet live in relative safety and security they will accept that a modern civilised community does not need lethal weaponry to maintain peace.

Bricktop

Quote from: "Dinky Dianna"Another government caused over regulated State and gun free murder zone. All those defenceless unnarmed people allowed to die because of government meddling.

A 19yr old cleanskin buys an AK47 rifle legally, travels to a family event and gins down 15 people. Amongst the dead is a 6 yr old and a 13yr old.

And this is the government's fault because????

Well, I should probably confess that I agree that it is the goverment's fault.

For allowing these killing machines to be acquired and possessed by people who have NO reason for owning such an implement.

God, I feel stupid actually responding to your idiocy...

Frood

Quote from: "Dinky Dianna"Another government caused over regulated State and gun free murder zone. All those defenceless unnarmed people allowed to die because of government meddling.

A 19yr old cleanskin buys an AK47 rifle legally, travels to a family event and gins down 15 people. Amongst the dead is a 6 yr old and a 13yr old.

And this is the government's fault because????

Well, I should probably confess that I agree that it is the goverment's fault.

For allowing these killing machines to be acquired and possessed by people who have NO reason for owning such an implement.

God, I feel stupid actually responding to your idiocy...

I feel stupid pointing out to your moronic drivel that California has a 21 or older long rifle law now and the shooter purchased his rifle and a shotgun with background checks in a different state and transported them back to California. Hence background checks don't work for pop off shooters with no criminal background and the State will never be able to stop those with quiet intentions from acquiring what they need over any obstacle.

So your entire premise is a massive fail, inhumane, and responsible for every disarmed mass shooting event, you cowardly subhuman filth.
Blahhhhhh...

Blazor

Quote from: "Bricktop"Well, the point I'm making is that we all raise issues we feel strongly about, regardless of the cosmopolitan makeup of our audience.

But, I shall be honest and admit that I believe that if enough people shine a light on an issue, no matter where it is, others might think "maybe we're wrong" and perhaps reconsider their position. If Americans realise there are other nations who don't permit wholesale gun ownership yet live in relative safety and security they will accept that a modern civilised community does not need lethal weaponry to maintain peace.

Damn Bricktop, you sound like one of those damn Snowflakes.

"If enough people shine a light on an issue.....", this is the equivalent of what Soros is doing, with Black Lives Matter, and ANTIFA. So since they are shining so much light, I should agree with what they are saying? I should accept the mob mentality? Think I'll pass. PETA seems like they are shining light on things, that I shouldnt eat meat, maybe they are right too.

There are nations that have an armed society ya know, I think Sweden is one of them, and they have some of the lowest rates of crime. Why is that Brick, because they have common sense! They are trained in gun safety and such. Here its voluntary, but I took gun safety, as everyone should. Now THAT would be a law I would want to see passed, that EVERYONE take a gun safety class.

Btw, this world has not been very "modern or civilized" very long, given our timeline on earth. Still isnt in my opinion. Yes, there are uncivilized fuckers out there.

By "average", I mean, of course, people not involved in the military or law enforcement, or who require a gun for pest control. Ditto sports shooters.

Outside of those parameters, why do you need a gun?

Because its my right? Its my right to defend myself. Its my right to defend my country, just in case.

The people behind the scenes of the USA I dont have much faith in, and they are not exactly known to be the most honest folks with our best intentions in mind. One small example, when they made alcohol illegal, they put poison in the barrels, killing 10,000 people. Did you know there are over 100 deep underground shelters, that the average citizen does not know about? They are not for the citizens, but the Elite, that will be funneled in to the Denver airport when the shit hits the fan or elsewhere. They are all connected with magnetic rail systems. THEY are planning something, and the average citizen will be caught off guard when it happens. So the question really is, why do I NOT need a gun?

Once again, you claim that because other things kill humans, we should be allowed to have anything that kills humans. Alcohol in and of itself only kills consumers. For the most part alcohol is enjoyed by the majority of society. Guns have no redeeming quality.

I wonder, Blaze...if it was YOUR 3 year old grandchild killed by an "average" person with a "legal" gun, would you reconsider what your country is doing to itself.

I never said "allow anything" lol. You silly ninny muggins.

I wont go into alcohol again, I feel I made my point.

Guns have no redeeming quality, I say poppycock! Is that what the Colonials said, when the British went to war with the US, that guns have no redeeming quality? If that were the case, the world would be vastly different today indeed. Better to have one when needed, than not have one at all when shit hits the fan.

No Brick, if my grandchild died, I would be outraged, wanting vengeance, upon the fucker that did that vile thing, not the gun itself. He could of killed my grandchild with a number of things, ran him or her over with a car for instance. Its always the person, not the tool.
I've come here to chew bubble gum, and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Bricktop

Quote from: "Blazor"You silly ninny muggins.

There's no need for THAT sort of language, you daft dippy dingbat!!!

I imagine the lunatic that killed the 6 year old kid at a family fun day told the shop he bought it from in conformity with America's gun laws that it was his "right" to carry arms.

Sweden is not a good example for 2 reasons;

1. "Guns are capable of harmful and fatal consequences;and gun laws are quite stringent in Sweden. To be a gun owner requires a license, and this is tightly controlled by regulations. A potential gun owner needs to meet requirements to be granted a license. "

2. Comparing YOUR nation and culture to others is a red herring. Your country has a violent culture and is divided by hatred and animosity. Throwing guns into that mix is asking for carnage. And you can be damn sure if there is a mass shooting in Sweden, they will clamp down on gun ownership in a heartbeat.

Citing your "right" to defend yourself against others is why your country is in this mess in the first place.

If you are invaded, an event about as likely as Hillary becoming President (and probably preferable) the invader will be a modern well equipped military force. No civilian militia would last 5 minutes against tanks, helicopters, cruise missiles and warplanes. Even if the opposing force was your own army, you would stand no chance of defending yourself.

And 90% of these "I've got a gun...I'm gonna fight" big talkers would drop their firearms and piss their pants when bullets start whizzing over their heads. It's a terrifying experience.

You don't NEED a gun, Blaze. You WANT a gun because it makes you feel safe...it makes you feel strong...it makes you feel AMERICAN.

And turns you into a target.

cc

One thing that always gets overlooked. Talk is cheap and easy  .. but no matter what, guns are embedded physically (100s of millions that ain't goin nowhere) .. and embedded in the physic of America ... and all the talking (c/w arguments c/w implications of logic)  in the world will never change that

Not many think of it in all the ways Blaze does. Most have their own much less dramatic reasons / arguments .. most simply just grew up with it as a normal .. most know well the old "if you took guns away from good people, only bad people will have guns"

In fact, foreigners telling them they are wrong only results in ingraining it deeper. It might be a surprise to you but the US does not see Oz as an equal, much less superior in any way

.. so will never be open to nor affected positively by  opinions from some island of 20 m people in the middle of the ocean 1/2 way round the world .

.. not to mention everyone being "upside-down" ... call a good piece of angus a  "stike" .. and drive on the wrong side of the road ... without advancing  a single mile
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Anonymous

Quote from: "cc"One thing that always gets overlooked. Talk is cheap and easy  .. but no matter what, guns are embedded physically (100s of millions that ain't goin nowhere) .. and embedded in the physic of America ... and all the talking (c/w arguments c/w implications of logic)  in the world will never change that

Not many think of it in all the ways Blaze does. Most have their own much less dramatic reasons / arguments .. most simply just grew up with it as a normal .. most know well the old "if you took guns away from good people, only bad people will have guns"

In fact, foreigners telling them they are wrong only results in ingraining it deeper. It might be a surprise to you but the US does not see Oz as an equal, much less superior in any way

.. so will never be open to nor affected positively by  opinions from some island of 20 m people in the middle of the ocean 1/2 way round the world .

.. not to mention everyone being "upside-down" ... call a good piece of angus a  "stike" .. and drive on the wrong side of the road ... without advancing  a single mile

I have no opinion on gun control in the USA....that's for Americans to decide..

But, I heard there are more than a quarter of a billion firearms in the USA..

isn't it too late for gun control?

cc

It is, of course ... and its culture ingrained as well

There actually are many guns in Canada. Many  rifles and shotguns ... not an abundance of handguns

Anonymous

Quote from: "cc"There actually are many guns in Canada. Many  rifles and shotguns ... not many handguns

We know people who have rifles and hunt.

cc

Lots of that in Alta ... well ... most everywhere in the country actually.

Were many rifles and shotguns in Ontario when I grew up there

Anonymous

Quote from: "cc"Lots of that in Alta ... well ... most everywhere in the country actually.

Were many rifles and shotguns in Ontario when I grew up there

it's part of the culture in rural Canada.

Blazor

There's no need for THAT sort of language, you daft dippy dingbat!!!

:laugh:

ac_razz

I get what all you're saying, but I still stand by my decisions. Im not one to cower in a corner. That wasnt ingrained into my DNA. My ancestors fought for what was right, in the revolutionary war and the Civil war. Won one, not the other, but we still fought for what was right.

For instance, when the North invaded the South, they raped, robbed, pillaged, and burned crops and homes of the Southerners. Should such a thing ever happen again, I dont think I could watch my lady getting raped, my son beheaded, and everything I've worked hard for burned to the ground.

No, even if I died, I would be the one standing on top of my trailer picking them off with my rifle til I couldnt no more. If more advanced weapons were used, of course I would run. I know y'all say "talk" and all, and "no chance", but in reality I have no idea how things would go down, to a degree. I would do my best though, like I do in all things.

Blazor

Quote from: "cc"One thing that always gets overlooked. Talk is cheap and easy  .. but no matter what, guns are embedded physically (100s of millions that ain't goin nowhere) .. and embedded in the physic of America ... and all the talking (c/w arguments c/w implications of logic)  in the world will never change that

:roll:  "stike"

You are right CC, not everyone thinks the same about guns here. Some are dramatically against, some are for, but for many different reasons. I wasnt raised around guns, other than the one my mom carried in her purse lol. I wanted one at an early age and wanted to hunt. I took my gun safety class in 7th grade, it was even offered in the school system, they brought rifles and such to show. This needs to come back in my opinion.

You are damn right about "take 'em away from the good, only the bad will have", I've always believed in that too.

THEY want us disarmed, it scares the hell out of THEM that we are so well equipped lol.