Last post: Today at 04:37:30 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Lokmar

A

Hong Kong protests

Started by Anonymous, August 16, 2019, 10:41:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Hong Kong on 'brink of a total breakdown'

HONG KONG — Police fired tear gas at pro-democracy protesters in Hong Kong's Central financial district and at demonstrators on the other side of the harbor on Tuesday as a senior officer said the unrest had brought the city to "the brink of total breakdown."

The clashes took place a day after police shot a protester at close range and a man was doused with petrol and set on fire in some of the worst violence in the Chinese-ruled city in decades.

More than 1,000 protesters, many wearing office clothes and face masks, rallied in Central for a second day during lunch hour, blocking roads below some of the city's tallest skyscrapers and most expensive real estate.

After they had dispersed, police fired tear gas at the remaining protesters on old, narrow Pedder St. Police made more than a dozen arrests, many pinned up on the pavement against the wall of luxury jeweler Tiffany & Co.

Police said masked "rioters" had committed "insane" acts, throwing trash, bicycles and other debris on to metro tracks and overhead power lines, paralyzing transport in the former British colony. TV footage showed activists dropping heavy objects from overpasses on to traffic below, just missing a motorcyclist.

"Our society has been pushed to the brink of a total breakdown," Senior Superintendent Kong Wing-cheung told a briefing.

Anonymous

Quote from: "seoulbro"Hong Kong on 'brink of a total breakdown'

HONG KONG — Police fired tear gas at pro-democracy protesters in Hong Kong's Central financial district and at demonstrators on the other side of the harbor on Tuesday as a senior officer said the unrest had brought the city to "the brink of total breakdown."

The clashes took place a day after police shot a protester at close range and a man was doused with petrol and set on fire in some of the worst violence in the Chinese-ruled city in decades.

More than 1,000 protesters, many wearing office clothes and face masks, rallied in Central for a second day during lunch hour, blocking roads below some of the city's tallest skyscrapers and most expensive real estate.

After they had dispersed, police fired tear gas at the remaining protesters on old, narrow Pedder St. Police made more than a dozen arrests, many pinned up on the pavement against the wall of luxury jeweler Tiffany & Co.

Police said masked "rioters" had committed "insane" acts, throwing trash, bicycles and other debris on to metro tracks and overhead power lines, paralyzing transport in the former British colony. TV footage showed activists dropping heavy objects from overpasses on to traffic below, just missing a motorcyclist.

"Our society has been pushed to the brink of a total breakdown," Senior Superintendent Kong Wing-cheung told a briefing.

Paid black block protesters. Crush them like grapes on a supermarket floor.

Anonymous

Quote from: "seoulbro"Hong Kong on 'brink of a total breakdown'

thought the protests were getting smaller after Peking withdrew the extradition bill with Hong Kong.

Anonymous

I saw that guy doused in gas and set on fire.

Anonymous

Quote from: "iron horse jockey"I saw that guy doused in gas and set on fire.

And the eighteen year old protester who was shot in the chest.

Anonymous

This isn't even close to being over.

Hong Kong at a standstill

Gov't nixes curfew as protesters paralyze territory

HONG KONG — Hong Kong pro-democracy protesters paralyzed parts of the city for a fourth successive day Thursday, forcing schools to close and blocking highways, as students built campus barricades and the government dismissed rumours of a curfew.

Protesters have torched vehicles and buildings, hurled gasoline bombs at police stations and trains, dropped debris from bridges onto traffic below and vandalized shopping malls and campuses, raising questions about how and when more than five months of unrest can be brought to an end.

A 70-year-old street cleaner believed to have been hit in the head by a brick Wednesday died Thursday, the hospital said.

Police said he was believed to have been hit by "hard objects hurled by masked rioters" during his lunch break.

Chinese President Xi Jinping, speaking in Brazil, said stopping violence was the most urgent task right now for Hong Kong, China's state CCTV television reported.

He said China continued to firmly support Hong Kong leader Carrie Lam.

China has a garrison of up to 12,000 troops in Hong Kong who've kept to barracks, but it has vowed to crush any attempts at independence, a demand from a very small minority of protesters.

Anonymous

It's my understanding the protests are smaller now and they're not blocking off movement in parts of the territory.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Fashionista"It's my understanding the protests are smaller now and they're not blocking off movement in parts of the territory.

That aint what I am seeing.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Herman"
Quote from: "Fashionista"It's my understanding the protests are smaller now and they're not blocking off movement in parts of the territory.

Fash and Shen say the protests are petering out. Everything I have read says otherwise.

cc

The Real action is at the polytechnic college at this time
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Anonymous

Quote from: "cc"The Real action is at the polytechnic college at this time

Is that the only place?

Anonymous

Quote from: "seoulbro"
Quote from: "Herman"

Fash and Shen say the protests are petering out. Everything I have read says otherwise.

One of the main demands has been met..

Working people returned to work..

The protesters now are very young.

Vancouver

This was posted on Global News here. Zetsu understands the language?

">
Time is malleable

Anonymous

Quote from: "TheVancouverGuy"This was posted on Global News here. Zetsu understands the language?

">

I can understand a few words of Cantonese.

Anonymous

Trump will sign a Hong Kong democracy act today. This will make China happy.