Replies: 10399
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 03:39:45 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Biggie Smiles

A

Wexit

Started by Anonymous, October 22, 2019, 04:02:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 3 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Gaon

Quote from: "Fashionista"According to former provincial cabinet minister, Ted Morton, this current separatist movement is not going away anytime soon.

The demographic vulnerability of the West is compounded by our very different regional economies. Combined, Alberta (15.5 per cent), B.C. (13.2 per cent) and Saskatchewan (3.7 per cent) constitute 32.4 per cent — or almost one-third — of Canada's annual GDP. Quebec contributes only 19.5 per cent. Yet despite the fact that the West contributes 66 per cent more to Canada's economy than Quebec, we still have three fewer MPs.

While Western Canada is voter-poor, it is resource-rich. Per capita income in Alberta and Saskatchewan is $78,213 and $69,095, respectively. In Quebec, it is $50,276. Under graduated federal tax rates, the more money that Ottawa spends, the more money that exits Western Canada. These figures help to explain why federal politicians who want to win elections like high-tax, high-spending budgets. Like the Liberals' proposal for a new publicly funded universal prescription drug plan.

This also helps to explain why since 1961 the net fiscal transfer of money out of Alberta has been $611 billion. And why since 2010 Ottawa has taken an average of over $20 billion a year out of Alberta, even when we were running nine consecutive deficit budgets. And why Quebec is now receiving two-thirds of every dollar in the federal equalization program. The electoral math is that simple.

What has been happening to Alberta for the past 50 years is not unique to Canada. The national governments in Spain and Italy routinely raid the treasuries of demographically small but economically wealthier regions to win national elections. Rome siphons revenues from Lombardy and Veneto in northern Italy to help win votes in the poorer but more populous southern Italy. Governments in Madrid do the same to Catalonia, the prosperous region that surrounds Barcelona. Significantly, in the past decade, voters/taxpayers in both Lombardy/Veneto and Catalonia have fought back by forming separatist parties and holding referendums to acquire more regional autonomy or secede. In both countries, these referendums have won strong majority support.

These different examples — Catalonia, Lombardy, Alberta — illustrate variations on a familiar theme in all contemporary democracies: parties try to win elections by promising to give a majority of the voters something for nothing. But instead of targeting wealthier corporations, families and individuals (always a minority of voters), successful national political parties target wealthier regions that have a minority of voters. The electoral math is that simple.

When viewed in this context, there is a growing realization for Albertans that the system itself is fatally flawed. That is, without structural or constitutional change, Alberta will continue to be vulnerable to fiscally predatory Liberal party politics and policies.

As Keith Davey, Pierre Trudeau's campaign strategist, so eloquently put it: "Screw the West. We'll take the Rest." It worked in 1980. It worked in 2019. And it will keep on working until the rules of the game are changed.

So no, the current wave of separatist sentiment in Alberta and Western Canada is not going to quickly dissipate as it has in the past. There is an applicable proverb: "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me." Or as the French like to say, "Une fois, oui. Deux fois, non!"

The challenge for premiers Jason Kenney and Scott Moe will be to channel this new wave of separatist sentiment into meaningful and productive constitutional reforms. No easy task. Their success will depend in part on how receptive Ottawa will be to meaningful structural changes. To get things started, it might be helpful if the prime minister and his new cabinet googled "No taxation without representation" to learn how a "colonial grievance" sparked the first political revolt in North America.

Ted Morton is an executive fellow at the University of Calgary's School of Public Policy and a former minister of energy and finance in Alberta.

https://calgaryherald.com/opinion/columnists/morton-its-time-for-albertas-revolutionary-boston-tea-party-moment">https://calgaryherald.com/opinion/colum ... rty-moment">https://calgaryherald.com/opinion/columnists/morton-its-time-for-albertas-revolutionary-boston-tea-party-moment

I cannot believe this is happening in Canada.
The Russian Rock It

Berry Sweet

Quote from: "Herman"
Quote from: "Berry Sweet"
Quote from: "Shen Li"
Quote from: "Berry Sweet"I don't know much about politics, only that it is really messed up.  I always felt Canada should have 2 leaders, one for the west and one for the east.  Nobody is doing anything for western Canada...its like we don't exist. 9f course pms come to BC and talk bullshit and take selfies with our beautiful mountains in the background, but thats about it.  

If western Canada wants to separate, id support it.  Id support BC thru Manitoba separating.  I have family in all 4 of those provinces.  Ontario and Quebec can go fuck themselves since they think they are the only province in Canada that exists.  No more equalization payments  and they can take the national debt with them.

We would be a lot wealthier than the East.

Of course! I want our money to go to people in tgeir own provinces.  Bring back more funds for schooling, start breakfast programs at all schools, provide funded tutoring for ALL kids who want it, not this Oxford or Sullivan for $800/mo bullshit, more funds for medical assistance and mental health...the court system need to be revanped or overhauled, get all those old farts off the bench and replace them with those who are modernly trained and get with the fuckin program!  Good Lord, I could go on and on!

That sounds like you want a lot of expensive civil servants with defined benefit pensions hired. We won't be a rich country for long if we do that.

Its what people deserve but they're not getting it.  A lot of people working for the government in useless jobs and they literally don't do anything and they're making $60/hr.  This is one of the reasons why my sister moved to the states...she has a government job and in Canada, she wS doing the work for those lazy assesmaking huge amounts of money for no reason.  In the US that doesnt happen...you'll get audited and fired...and now she's the head managment at her job and she actually works.  Should be the same here, none of this government and union bullshit to protect lazy workers.  Same goes for teachers...as I really think some teachers deserve better but many don't, they are fuckin useless...there are many ive had the opportunity to sit down with and discuss matters, they are so pathetic, I want to punch them in the face.  I can't get into detail about some issues I have faced over the years, but the pressure is on...im starting to get information about some of these nasty teachers getting in trouble with the system...ive already given permission to my friend (who is also a teacher..and a good one.) to call the ministry in on me (cause of neglect of the school system) im in the middle of writing a paper/letter complaining about their asses...and eventually some time soon, Im going up to complain to the board.  This is just a start.  Im going to complain and fight this bullshit for all kids, not just mine.  There are two other areas im gonna do the same thing with.  Enough of this shit! Im not sitting back and letting these people get away with this.  I went to court and I fought my ass off to protect my kid and I won...up against an idiot and a useless old fart of a judge giving out parenting advice from the 1970s....not good enough.  The struggles ive had and the uselessness of the system are just mind boggling!! I dont even need the system anymore, ive learned how to do it on my own...and now im gonna take it to my level, with documentation...I want answers.

Im going off topic, my apologies, as far the wage goes in government, there needs to be cap offs and no lifetime pensions...thats just bullshit.  Anyone should only get a package deal for 5 years tops.  If they cant survive off that, then screw them.

Anonymous

The federal civil service is too big and expensive.

Berry Sweet

Quote from: "Herman"The federal civil service is too big and expensive.

I agree with you.  There are too many unnecessary idiots doing pointless jobs they aren't even qualified for...they are only in it for the money and pensions.  This needs to stop.  But people NEED to say something...not just sit back and be like, oh well....that doesn't help anyone.  Nothing will change if no one says or does anything.  

This is why I'm choosing to speak out about my personal situations and experiences within my province.  No more of this hokus pokus.  Im not standing for bullshit, fuck that...I want answers...I want to know why half of this shit exists and no one knows a damn thing that they are doing...im tired of being passed along from idiots who can't handle me..or the "lose" my paper work, didnt return my calls or emails....I documented all of this....and now I want answers for their stupidity.  Someone is going to have to answer to this and I hope they lose their job!

Anonymous

Quote from: "Herman"The federal civil service is too big and expensive.

I agree with you.  There are too many unnecessary idiots doing pointless jobs they aren't even qualified for...they are only in it for the money and pensions.  This needs to stop.  But people NEED to say something...not just sit back and be like, oh well....that doesn't help anyone.  Nothing will change if no one says or does anything.  

This is why I'm choosing to speak out about my personal situations and experiences within my province.  No more of this hokus pokus.  Im not standing for bullshit, fuck that...I want answers...I want to know why half of this shit exists and no one knows a damn thing that they are doing...im tired of being passed along from idiots who can't handle me..or the "lose" my paper work, didnt return my calls or emails....I documented all of this....and now I want answers for their stupidity.  Someone is going to have to answer to this and I hope they lose their job!

And when the provinces or the feds tries balancing the books by firing those useless and expansive assholes they buy ads on media warning the sky will fall if their redundant jobs are axed.

Berry Sweet

They'll do anything to save their jobs and idiots will believe them...more than half of Canada is so blind and dumb.

But as long as they are giving me the run around and a hard time, I'll be a cunt and return the favor...better work, bitch.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Berry Sweet"They'll do anything to save their jobs and idiots will believe them...more than half of Canada is so blind and dumb.

But as long as they are giving me the run around and a hard time, I'll be a cunt and return the favor...better work, bitch.

Ontario wanted to privatize their government owned liquor and beer stores to balance the budget. Of course thei union spent big bucks buying air time saying there would be chaos in the streets if independent liquor stores wee allowed.

Berry Sweet

Quote from: "Berry Sweet"They'll do anything to save their jobs and idiots will believe them...more than half of Canada is so blind and dumb.

Ontario wanted to privatize their government owned liquor and beer stores to balance the budget. Of course thei union spent big bucks buying air time saying there would be chaos in the streets if independent liquor stores wee allowed.

I don't like talking about it, but laws need to be formed for inside government that protect the people...but we all know that will never happen.  It should be pretty obvious by now that Canadian government is a gong show...and a show pretty much it is, its nothing further than that.  I cant take politics, scientists and other "professionals" (or whatever the fuck they choose to call themselves today) seriously anymore.  There's no intelligence anywhere, anymore.

https://media.tenor.com/images/7133f47a13b3051be0232af0c2b1694a/tenor.gif">

I don't give a fuck about Ontario...its always about Ontario.  I hope they get an ice storm and everything freezes the fuck over...I hope Ontario get screwed and fucked up the ass, dry and hard., same with Quebec.

There's already chaos in the streets, but apparently, its ok.

Anonymous

I work for the provincial government..

We have a lot of people calling in sick.

ac_unsure

Berry Sweet

Quote from: "Fashionista"I work for the provincial government..

ac_unsure

And do you really think they're "sick"?

These people should be tossed and stripped of everything.  If this was just a regular Joe or Jane they would be fired and left for homeless.

Anonymous

ac_unsure

These people should be tossed and stripped of everything.  If this was just a regular Joe or Jane they would be fired and left for homeless.

Of course not Berry..

They often use all their paid sick days at once and take a paid three week vacation..

This is on top of their annual paid vacations..

It's an abuse of the system and it's wrong.

Anonymous

Yes, the government of Ontario controls alcohol retailing. Ford has allowed grocery stores to sell beer, but we still don't allow private liquor stores like the rest of the civilized world.

Berry Sweet

Quote from: "Fashionista"

ac_unsure

Of course not Berry..

They often use all their paid sick days at once and take a paid three week vacation..

Absolutely.  And one reason why it keeps happening is because nobody says anything.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Fashionista"

ac_unsure

Of course not Berry..

Absolutely.  And one reason why it keeps happening is because nobody says anything.

The Alberta Union of Public Employees will never allow any provincial government to take away this abused perk.

sasquatch

Quote from: "seoulbro"

Yes, the government of Ontario controls alcohol retailing. Ford has allowed grocery stores to sell beer, but we still don't allow private liquor stores like the rest of the civilized world.

lol! apparently it is because of the lucrative contracts the beer store and LCBO has signed with the government and brewers and want to fight to keep that monopoly.

https://business.financialpost.com/opinion/dont-blame-doug-ford-for-the-costs-of-breaking-unfair-beer-retailing-contracts">https://business.financialpost.com/opin ... -contracts">https://business.financialpost.com/opinion/dont-blame-doug-ford-for-the-costs-of-breaking-unfair-beer-retailing-contracts