The best topic

Replies: 10410
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 07:12:59 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by DKG

Do you think a consumer carbon tax in Canada will have any effect on the earth's climate?

Started by Gaon, December 17, 2019, 10:16:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 3 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Blazor

Quote from: "seoulbro"
Quote from: "Blazor"No it wont. ]

I believe the basic theory behind AGW. What we do not know is how much man is responsible for a changing climate.

I know its less than cow farts  :laugh:
I've come here to chew bubble gum, and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Blazor"

I believe the basic theory behind AGW. What we do not know is how much man is responsible for a changing climate.

Even if it's a lot, why are we killing our middle class while China and India continue to put more CO2 into the atmosphere. Canada's share of global emissions is insignificant and dropping. A carbon tax in Canada is a futile attempt at stopping global climate change.

Blazor

Quote from: "iron horse jockey"

Even if it's a lot, why are we killing our middle class while China and India continue to put more CO2 into the atmosphere. Canada's share of global emissions is insignificant and dropping. A carbon tax in Canada is a futile attempt at stopping global climate change.

Its stupid man, super stupid.
I've come here to chew bubble gum, and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Anonymous

Its stupid man, super stupid.

Our pm has been asked how much his carbon tax will slow climate change and of course he can't answer that..

Instead he calls C02 pollution and how it has always been free in the past.

:001_rolleyes:

Thiel

Quote from: "Gaon"This could be the dominant discussion in Canada. Do you think it will have even a slight change on the earth's climate, or do you believe it's symbolism. Perhaps some people think it's a revenue policy and not an environmental one.

Anything we do within Canada and to taxpayers here will not affect climate change one way or another. It's what we do internationally through exports and technology that will make a difference.
gay, conservative and proud

Anonymous

Quote from: "Thiel"
Quote from: "Gaon"This could be the dominant discussion in Canada. Do you think it will have even a slight change on the earth's climate, or do you believe it's symbolism. Perhaps some people think it's a revenue policy and not an environmental one.

Anything we do within Canada and to taxpayers here will not affect climate change one way or another. It's what we do internationally through exports and technology that will make a difference.

That's what is so frustrating..

The federal government is taking resources away from family for nothing.

Anonymous

Does anyone dispute that at least part of the reason for imposing carbon taxation is to raise revenue?

Anonymous

By Lorne Gunter of Sun News Media

Carbon tax myths

It is not possible for consumers to get more back in rebates than they pay in tax

If you ask average Ontarians why their province has lost upwards of 300,000 well-paying manufacturing jobs in the past dozen years, most would probably blame globalization.

Average Ontarians (particularly those in the Greater Toronto Area) vote Liberal by default. So, it's easy to convince them that greedy corporations have used freer trade to move jobs offshore in search of higher profits at the expense of workers.

The truth, though, is that [size=150]Ontario's obsession with "green" energy drove up input costs for manufacturers by doubling their electricity bills.[/size]

Most didn't flee to Third World economies with cheap labour

Most merely moved south to states that weren't forcing industrial and residential consumers to pay the cost of politicians' wind, solar and biofuel fantasies.

The problem for Canada — and specifically for Alberta — is that [size=150]many of the same geniuses who devised Ontario's ruinous "green" energy program are now plotting Justin Trudeau's net-zero carbon crusade[/size], including the federal carbon tax that was imposed on Alberta beginning Wednesday, Jan. 1.

The carbon tax will not only make the price of a fill-up more expensive (by about 4.5 cents a litre) and raise the cost of heating your home by more than 50 per cent, it will also drive away investment, prevent jobs from being created, lower Alberta's projected GDP and stall the opening of new or expanded businesses.

Of course, you'd never know that from listening to the federal Liberals or the activists and media outlets who share their "green" dreams.

To hear the pro-tax side tell it, most Canadians will make more money from federal carbon rebates than they pay in carbon taxes.

Yeah, that's always the case, isn't it? Governments always give us back more than they take in taxes.

The Mulroney government, for instance, promised the GST would be "revenue neutral," too.

It's simply impossible for a government to give away more than it takes in, unless it increases taxes elsewhere or goes deeper into debt.

The pro-tax Pembina Institute said this week Albertans had nothing to fear from Ottawa's carbon tax. After all, not one dime raised by the tax would stay in the federal treasury.

This is as clueless as the claim by former Alberta premier Rachel Notley that her government's carbon tax would be revenue-neutral because every dollar would be spent immediately. (Huh!?)

With a consumption tax such as the carbon tax — one that includes at least five provincial variations and a complicated rebate formula — you can expect bureaucratic administration costs to equal at least 10 to 15 per cent of the amount raised.

On revenues of $9 billion annually, let's call that $1 billion in administrative costs.

If those bureaucratic costs don't come out of the money raised by the carbon tax, they will come out of income tax or some other tax.

I know cultish True Believers in the eco-world are convinced we can convert to a totally "green" economy with no cost and no pain. However, that is simply delusional.

The CBC — the always reliable cheerleader from all things Liberal — even trumpeted how the carbon tax would be "good news for your wallet."

Similar claims were made in the 2010s in Ontario. For instance, the Ontario Liberals reassured that for every manufacturing job lost a well-paying "green" job would be created.

According to the Ontario auditor general, the reality was 12,000 "green" jobs were created to replace the 300,000 lost jobs. And most of those only lasted until government subsidies ran out.

You can buy all the hokum spewed by the Liberals and the environmentalists about the benefits of a carbon tax The truth is, the tax will stunt economic growth (especially in energy-dependent Alberta) and it will achieve no emission reductions.

Zetsu

Couldn't be any more well said, I can't care any less if China and the rest of Asia screw themselves up, but like you've mentioned if we look at a global factor Canada only produce about 1.6% of the world's global emission, given the fact even if this carbon tax somehow manages to reduce Canada's carbon output by about 15%, that's still less than a very very petty quarter of a percent of the world's C02 footprint, but probably at the cost of Canada's G8 status.
Permanently off his rocker

Anonymous

Quote from: "Zetsu"

Couldn't been any more well said, I can't care any less if China and the rest of Asia screw themselves up, but like you've mentioned if we look at a global factor Canada only produce about 1.6% of the world's global emission, given the fact even if this carbon tax somehow manages to reduce Canada's carbon output by about 15%, that's still less than a very very petty quarter of a percent of the world's C02 footprint, but probably at the cost of Canada's G8 status.

Even we reduced our emissions by eighty per cent it won't make any difference to climate change..

It's particularly futile knowing that China, India and the developing world are cancelling out our drop in emissions.

Anonymous

The climate change "solutions" in this country are an insult to our intelligence. Like Zetsu said, let's say Justine's carbon tax reduces Canada's C02 emissions fifteen percent. That's .32 and falling of the earth's C02 emissions. That's not even a rounding error.

Canadians are being asked to sacrifice a lot of money, jobs and growth for something that will make no difference.

Anonymous

https://scontent.fyka1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/s960x960/80723795_10157992885311383_9134199032502026240_o.jpg?_nc_cat=110&_nc_ohc=hxTYdlpG5k0AQnsgohwWDvKfkqXoVwHQSCtOxtIb2BtHNGCGaEzQlBlGA&_nc_ht=scontent.fyka1-1.fna&oh=189c86eaa2f571cafc14bb076c9bbe50&oe=5E6A56F2">

Anonymous

Gasoline went up 4.5 cents per litre on Wednesday..

It will go up another 3 cents a litre in April when the carbon tax goes from $20 per tonne to $30 per tonne.

:sad:

Anonymous

The supreme court of Canada will decide this week if Trudeau's carbon tax encroaches on provincial authority or not. In Saskatchewan and Ontario, courts decided it didn't and in Alberta, it decided in favour of the provinces.

The odds are against a decision in favour of the provinces. Let's hope for a fall present.

cc

It makes me so angry seeing Western countries thinking what they do helps ... as China and India +++ do the real damage

& get a long-term pass from the West
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell