News:

SMF - Just Installed!

The best topic

Replies: 10340
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 03:33:17 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Biggie Smiles

Not sure if I'd ever buy a used house again...

Started by Anonymous, January 03, 2020, 04:50:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Anonymous

I had an inspection done.  I am not an idiot.  The place is structurally sound, which is more or less all you're paying an inspector to check, contrary to what you may believe.

I just didn't realize the amount of work involved to 'fix' up a 25 year old home, that has housed three children and two apparently lazy adults, who did absolutely nothing, ever, to anything.  Nothing was ever upgraded, fixed, or replaced, and what was done was Amateur Hour.

It is clear to me now that some people view a home as a 'disposable' asset, which simply gets thrown away after it wears out.  The people that lived here were like this.  

Often you only see this once you peel away the layers.  A 'walk through' does not show this, nor does an inspection.

I will fix what is wrong, and I will make it right, but it is a far larger task than I initially bargained for.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Mel"I had an inspection done.  I am not an idiot.  The place is structurally sound, which is more or less all you're paying an inspector to check, contrary to what you may believe.

I just didn't realize the amount of work involved to 'fix' up a 25 year old home, that has housed three children and two apparently lazy adults, who did absolutely nothing, ever, to anything.  Nothing was ever upgraded, fixed, or replaced, and what was done was Amateur Hour.

It is clear to me now that some people view a home as a 'disposable' asset, which simply gets thrown away after it wears out.  The people that lived here were like this.  

Often you only see this once you peel away the layers.  A 'walk through' does not show this, nor does an inspection.

I will fix what is wrong, and I will make it right, but it is a far larger task than I initially bargained for.

The home inspector will do a visual inspection by looking at the home's various systems, including interior and exterior components. The inspector will check exterior components including roofing, flashing, chimneys, gutters, downspouts, wall surfaces, windows, doors, the foundation and the grading around it.

The interior systems that the home inspector will check include electrical, heating, air conditioning, ventilation, plumbing, insulation, flooring, ceiling and walls, windows and doors. Note that home inspectors must be WETT (Wood Energy Technology Transfer) certified to inspect a wood-burning appliance, such as a fireplace or wood stove.

https://www.canadianresidential.com/article/HIRINGAHOMEINSPECTOR/">https://www.canadianresidential.com/art ... INSPECTOR/">https://www.canadianresidential.com/article/HIRINGAHOMEINSPECTOR/

Anonymous

I know what home inspectors do.  I also know what WETT inspectors do also.

I know WETT well.  Ask me anything...  I am on a first name basis with my local WETT inspector!  

Why, you may ask?  Well, I just placed some drywall around my new chimney tonight!

Since some of the ceiling studs aren't hung at the right height, and nothing is square, this creates issues for me with the drywall install.

And yes, I'd rather be sitting around drinking beer than fucking with shit like this.  This is why I'd only buy a new house, rather than have to kick walls down like I do here.

https://i.ibb.co/TcsYP24/IMG-3111.jpg">

Anonymous

Those pencil lines drawn are stud lines, to give you an example of what I'm dealing with...

Anonymous

I think I will trim a touch more from the chimney surround, so that there is no contact whatsoever.

This piece of drywall just cannot be stuffed into the hole...  Since it slips over a piece of existing drywall, it can only go in one way.

It was a challenging piece of drywall to cut and install...  Hours spent in total.  

It's not a squared hole it's filling, so much trial and error.

Zetsu

Mel you should take 10mg of Cipralex meds a day to lower your OCD standards, far cheaper than spending 50k fixing the whole house.
Permanently off his rocker

Anonymous

Quote from: "Zetsu"Mel you should take 10mg of Cipralex meds a day to lower your OCD standards, far cheaper than spending 50k fixing the whole house.

Booze is my only drug.  Although here in the Koots, there's enough pot smoking hippies!   :laugh:

Anonymous

I do enjoy the fact that the lifestyle here accepts a "don't ask, don't tell" policy.

To me, this is good.

Zetsu

Quote from: "Mel"I do enjoy the fact that the lifestyle here accepts a "don't ask, don't tell" policy.

To me, this is good.

As long as everyone gets along and no one is harmed, I prefer that way too.
Permanently off his rocker

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
911 was an attack on what city (spell out lower case two words):
spell bacon backwards with the first letter capitalized:
Is Alticus a dick sucking fairy? (answer is opposite of no):
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview