News:

SMF - Just Installed!

The best topic

Replies: 10774
Total votes: : 5

Last post: Today at 11:40:16 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Lokmar

COVID-19 >> New Drug Activity & VACCINE TRACKING!!

Started by cc, January 26, 2020, 09:18:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 3 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Anonymous

I know people that don't get the annual flu shot because of similar side effects..

But, those side effects are holding up final approval of the vaccine?

cc

I don't think so. It's sped up mass testing that is the final hurdle

Apparently their will be some official news almost immediately
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Anonymous

Quote from: cc post_id=371450 time=1594878142 user_id=88
I don't think so. It's sped up mass testing that is the final hurdle

Apparently their will be some official news almost immediately

:smiley_thumbs_up_yellow_ani:

cc

Not sure if it says so above, but the average antibody presence was about 1 1/2 times what people who had the virus produced

Anonymous

If this is available before the election, Trump can win.

Anonymous

Quote from: "iron horse jockey" post_id=371457 time=1594883896 user_id=2015
If this is available before the election, Trump can win.

I want everything back to normal.

cc

Anonymous

I'm looking forward to the announcement from Oxford.

Anonymous

I found this about Moderna's vaccine candidate.

https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/coronavirus-update-moderna-steals-spotlight-with-vaccine-leap-cdc-director-backs-public-masking-162705949.html">https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/coron ... 05949.html">https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/coronavirus-update-moderna-steals-spotlight-with-vaccine-leap-cdc-director-backs-public-masking-162705949.html

Moderna's (MRNA)'s experimental coronavirus vaccine — which showed the treatment was not only effective, but produced a significant amount of COVID-19 antibodies — boosted markets and stoked hopes of a vaccine by the end of this year, as the pandemic continues its spread.

The Phase 1 clinical trial data, published late Tuesday in the New England Journal of Medicine, confirmed the company's statements of positive results.

It's still unclear if the vaccine, which requires two shots within a month's time— is able to block the virus entirely. But if successful, Moderna's candidate would be the first product the company gets to market, as well as the first vaccine using its proprietary mRNA technology.

The final phase of the trials, set to begin July 27, will better inform on the vaccine's effectiveness.

CEO Stephane Bancel told analysts on a call Wednesday that discussions have only just begun of how the vaccine is likely to be distributed. Via Operation Warp Speed, U.S. officials have set an ambitious timeline to begin production on a candidate this year.

While no specifics were given, Bancel said the federal government would be in charge. "We see partnering with government as very important...it's not up to private company to make that decision," he added.

Anonymous

cc

I'm not about to make time predictions, rather take it one day at a time and watch what "actually" takes place as it takes place ...

I do pay attention to  creditable official estimates  as they are given

Anonymous

Quote from: cc post_id=371757 time=1595007561 user_id=88
I'm not about to make time predictions, rather take it one day at a time and watch what "actually" takes place as it takes place ...

I do pay attention to  creditable official estimates  as they are given

I look at time predictions..

But, I know most of them will be later than predicted.

cc

Back to Symptom Treating

https://www.healthing.ca/diseases-and-conditions/coronavirus/early-detection-of-sepsis-a-potential-breakthrough-in-covid-19-battle">Early detection of sepsis a potential breakthrough in COVID-19 battle July 16, 2020

The challenge with life-threatening sepsis is that it often gets confused for a virus.

As COVID-19 continues to ravage our healthcare systems, the race to find solutions is on. For Dr. Bob Hancock, a Vancouver-based microbiologist, this means tackling sepsis — a potentially life-threatening organ dysfunction caused by the body's response to an infection, and the second leading cause of death among COVID 19 patients.

Hancock, the co-founder of B.C.-based Sepset Biosciences inc, recently received funding from the Canadian Institutes of Health Research to conduct a multi-center clinical study to investigate which patients with COVID-19 are at higher risk of developing sepsis.

"The goal is to tell the physician within an hour whether or not a patient will develop sepsis — who'll go down quick and who won't," said Hancock. "The right patients can be moved to the ICU immediately."

Sepset Biosciences is developing a blood test for hospitals to identify septic patients and those at risk of organ failure. The diagnosis of sepsis is currently based on symptomologies, such as mental confusion, blood pressure, heart rate, temperature, and respiratory rate. However, according to Hancock, there is often only a 50/50 chance of an accurate diagnosis since the symptoms are quite general.

The COVID 19 pandemic has accelerated efforts to prevent sepsis, which is still responsible for around one in 5 deaths worldwide. It seems to be especially triggered by this pathogen, with virtually all organ systems potentially affected in infected patients.

According to a recent article by the Global Sepsis Alliance (GSA), "it is apparent that the best COVID-19 care includes good sepsis care."

sic > I just saw this guy Hancock in a long interview on Global News Channel - He explained this such that even I understood what it was about & how import and it will be to identify those who will developed sepsis and become serious cases

cc

I'm not sure if this London ON  work has ties to the above Vancouver work  & article is May 26, 2020 - Both involve treating or identifying presence of septis ... which is responsible for at least 1/2 of covid deaths and serious cases

https://www.healthing.ca/diseases-and-conditions/coronavirus/early-detection-of-sepsis-a-potential-breakthrough-in-covid-19-battle">Canadian researchers attempting world first treatment for COVID-19 patients with sepsis

This one is actually testing a specific drug to go after sepsis

Nice to see Canada heavy into the game  . . X2

Anonymous

They will be able to identify sepsis, but how will they treat it?