The best topic

Replies: 10568
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 11:58:34 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Aylana

COVID-19 >>"True and Helpful" Covid Information Thread

Started by cc, March 13, 2020, 04:44:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 24 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Anonymous

Quote from: cc post_id=397350 time=1610308065 user_id=88
Ontario and Quebec continue to increase cases.

Today ON >   "another record-breaking number of COVID-19 cases in Ontario with 3,945 new cases added on Sunday. The province also recorded 61 more deaths"

Today Quebec > "The province added 2,588 new COVID-19 cases, in addition to 39 deaths"

It's out of control.

Anonymous

There are 811 new cases of COVID-19 and 12 additional deaths in Alberta, the province reported Sunday..

The province completed 12,302 tests with a positivity rate of 6.4 per cent..

There are a total of 14,116 active cases, deceasing from 14,437 reported Saturday..

Across Alberta, 794 patients are being treated in hospitals for the illness, including 128 in ICU beds, all moving in the right direction..

The province has now administered 44,994 doses of the COVID-19 vaccine in Alberta.

cc

Looks like right direction  .. good stuff!!!

Dunno what is going on with the vaccinations site - Our total  numbers were top o the heap yesterday .. & they total went down today  :confused1:  & we are always late reporting also

I do know that a family friend got vaccinated today (good news) ... Hard to get info on the other friend in same place who caught it recently thanks to management not containing positive residents on her floor
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Anonymous

Quote from: Fashionista post_id=397367 time=1610321598 user_id=3254
There are 811 new cases of COVID-19 and 12 additional deaths in Alberta, the province reported Sunday..

The province completed 12,302 tests with a positivity rate of 6.4 per cent..

There are a total of 14,116 active cases, deceasing from 14,437 reported Saturday..

Across Alberta, 794 patients are being treated in hospitals for the illness, including 128 in ICU beds, all moving in the right direction..

The province has now administered 44,994 doses of the COVID-19 vaccine in Alberta.

Saskatchewan had 307 cases today. On a per capita basis, that is higher than Alberta. But, we had no deaths. I think Saskatchewan has one of the lowest death rates in the workd. Part of that is because COVID here has hit Indians and Hutterites hardest. They are younger than most people in this province.

cc

Alberta just might be getting a hold on it once holiday cases pass

Because we get no weekend reporting, I have to wait till tomorrow afternoon to see if we have a grip on it ... or not

cc

https://www.theepochtimes.com/areas-across-seven-chinese-provinces-enter-wartime-mode-following-covid-19-outbreaks_3651073.html">Areas of Seven Chinese Provinces Enter 'Wartime' Mode Following COVID-19 Outbreaks

Areas of Hebei, Liaoning, Heilongjiang, Henan, and Ningxia provinces, as well as Inner Mongolia and Beijing announced that they entered "wartime" mode over the weekend due to surges in COVID-19 cases.

"Wartime" mode typically means that restrictions are placed on when residents can leave their homes, and almost all public facilities, such as schools, stores, stadiums, and parks, are closed.

A spokesperson for the Beijing city government Xu Hejian said at a press conference on Jan. 8: "At present, diagnosed patients and cluster outbreaks are happening all around the country."

Shijiazhuang

Meanwhile, Shijiazhuang, a city of 11 million in northern China, continued to see new infections amid a severe outbreak.

At a Sunday press conference organized by the city government, officials ruled that all residents must take a second nucleic acid test for COVID-19 in the next two days, and that all residents cannot leave their homes for another seven days. Only couriers and medical staff who have a special pass can travel on the streets freely. Last week, the city entered lockdown.

Initially, authorities still allowed over 60 large-scale grocery stores to remain open for customers on Sunday. However, state-run China National Radio reported on Sunday evening that all grocery stores in the city were closed and people could only order online.

Food prices skyrocketed as a result.

Anonymous

Quote from: cc post_id=397462 time=1610342790 user_id=88

Because we get no weekend reporting, I have to wait till tomorrow afternoon to see if we have a grip on it ... or not

cc, I read that it may take until Wednesday before we know if the trend continues in the right direction or not.....I'm praying it does.

cc

Quote from: Fashionista post_id=397466 time=1610343623 user_id=3254
Quote from: cc post_id=397462 time=1610342790 user_id=88

cc, I read that it may take until Wednesday before we know if the trend continues in the right direction or not.....I'm praying it does.

That sounds realistic.

Anonymous

Quote from: cc post_id=397465 time=1610343556 user_id=88
Areas of Seven Chinese Provinces Enter 'Wartime' Mode Following COVID-19 Outbreaks

Areas of Hebei, Liaoning, Heilongjiang, Henan, and Ningxia provinces, as well as Inner Mongolia and Beijing announced that they entered "wartime" mode over the weekend due to surges in COVID-19 cases.

"Wartime" mode typically means that restrictions are placed on when residents can leave their homes, and almost all public facilities, such as schools, stores, stadiums, and parks, are closed.

A spokesperson for the Beijing city government Xu Hejian said at a press conference on Jan. 8]
That's the old lady's neck of the woods. Right on the Russian border. How bad are the outbreaks, numbers wise?

cc

Quote from: Herman post_id=397468 time=1610344762 user_id=1689
That's the old lady's neck of the woods. Right on the Russian border. How bad are the outbreaks, numbers wise?

I only have what is in the link. Further, being China, numbers would not be close to reality  if numbers were even given

Anonymous

Quote from: cc post_id=397488 time=1610348487 user_id=88
Quote from: Herman post_id=397468 time=1610344762 user_id=1689

I only have what is in the link. Further, being China, numbers would not be close to reality  if numbers were even given

China is reacting like Australia- one case is too many.

cc

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20210110005028/en/Covid-busting-Nasal-Spray-Begins-UK-Trials-January-11th">Covid-busting Nasal Spray Begins UK Trials January 11th

SaNOtize Nitric Oxide Nasal Spray (NONS) kills 99.9% of coronavirus in lab tests

Nasal spray blocks viral entry into the body, destroys virus and prevents it from multiplying

Nitric oxide blocks ACE-2 receptor essential for the virus to infect cells, destroys Covid mutant variations

Clinical trials already underway in Canada and approved to start in the USA

London University professor conducting trial hopes for 'significant advance in our therapeutic armoury against this devastating disease'

LONDON--(BUSINESS WIRE)--The first UK clinical trials of a nasal spray proven to kill 99.9% of the coronavirus that causes Covid-19 will begin on January 11th at Ashford and St Peter's Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, in Surrey.

The SaNOtize Nitric Oxide Nasal Spray (NONS) is designed to kill the virus in the upper airways, preventing it from incubating and spreading to the lungs.

The treatment, developed by SaNOtize Research and Development Corp. based in Vancouver, Canada, proved 99.9% effective in killing the coronavirus in independent lab tests at Utah State University's Antiviral Research Institute. Additional studies in rodents with COVID-19 infection showed over 95% reduction within the first day after infection. It is currently undergoing Phase II clinical trials throughout Canada approved by Health Canada, and in other countries.

The SaNOtize treatment is based on nitric oxide, a natural nanomolecule produced by the human body with proven anti-microbial properties shown to have a direct effect on SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes Covid-19. The treatment can be delivered by nasal spray, throat gargle or nasal lavage.

cc

https://www-theglobeandmail-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.theglobeandmail.com/amp/canada/article-canadian-company-sanotize-research-aims-to-limit-covid-19-spread-with/?amp_js_v=a6&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQHKAFQArABIA%3D%3D#aoh=16103495887660&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.theglobeandmail.com%2Fcanada%2Farticle-canadian-company-sanotize-research-aims-to-limit-covid-19-spread-with%2F">Canadian company SaNOtize Research aims to limit COVID-19 spread with nasal spray

In the race to find a treatment that works against COVID-19, scientists have been testing drugs that impede viruses in human cells as well as those that can calm the immune system so that the body's response to infection is less severe.

Now, a Canadian company is trying a different strategy. Using a specially engineered nasal spray, it hopes to make subjects' airways a hostile environment for the virus so that an infection can't get started.

The company, SaNOtize Research and Development Corp. of Vancouver, announced on Wednesday that it has received approval from Health Canada to begin a clinical trial of its method, which hinges on the delivery of nitric oxide gas to the upper-respiratory tract.

Anonymous

cc

https://globalnews.ca/news/7561871/medicago-covid19-vaccine-tobacco/amp/">Canada's own Medicago VLP vaccine candidate uses fast growing plants & is now ready for stage 3 testing

Under a winter's snow cover on the outskirts of Quebec City, a high-tech greenhouse, set at a balmy 23 C, is growing row after row of a weed that could help end the coronavirus pandemic.

It's called Nicotiana benthamiana, a relative of the tobacco plant, native to Australia, and it is a key to biopharmaceutical company Medicago's COVID-19 vaccine.

Medicago is the leading Canadian-based contender to produce a vaccine, with an agreement to provide the federal government with 76 million doses if approved for use.

In phase one of its clinical trials, 100 per cent of people who received its COVID-19 vaccine developed significant antibody responses with no severe adverse effects.

Phase two clinical trials are currently wrapping up and phase three is expected to begin later this month. It will involve 30,000 people in 11 countries — including Canada — and will ultimately determine if the vaccine protects people from COVID-19. The vaccine requires two doses, 21 days apart, and if approved by Health Canada, could be in the arms of Canadians by the second half of this year.

The plant is basically acting as a factory to produce the spike protein," said Dr. Scott Halperin, director of the Canadian Centre for Vaccinology in Halifax.

Once injected with the genetic material for the spike protein, the plant forms what's called "virus-like particles" or VLPs.

"The human who gets that sees that as, 'Oh, that looks like a virus,'" Dr. Halperin explains. "It's not a virus that can infect you because it's just a plant capsule surrounding the spike protein, but because the immune system is tricked into seeing it as a viral particle, it responds very well."

It is called "Medicago VLP" and has been on the main vaccine list from the beginning