The best topic

Replies: 10564
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 06:39:34 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Frood

COVID-19 >>"True and Helpful" Covid Information Thread

Started by cc, March 13, 2020, 04:44:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 16 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Anonymous

Quote from: cc post_id=363306 time=1590280161 user_id=88
That has to be. Many are sick but don't report.

Some don't know they have it - some die at home with no reporting of covid-positive

I don't fault authorities on that one - They can know only what they know

Science and authorities are both  working away with so little accurate info to work with . . and no way to get good info

With that all in mind, BC is trying hard to beat that with a VERY extensive survey. So far around 300,000 have completed it.

At the end you have the option of being "continuing" and can get check yes for an antibody test once widely available

BC is trying very hard - Problem as I see it is is that those whose info is  most needed are the least likely to complete it

Fash is talking about deaths. People are dying of emphysema in the US for example and it's being reported as COVID related. I like what the democRAT governor of Colorado is doing. His state is now making the distinction between dying with COVID and dying from it.

cc

So was I

I don't like that idea at all. We've been down this road before.

If something causes something else to happen, it's guilty whatever the "end" cause may be - i.e. the person would be alive had they not got the virus. Calling it otherwise is bullshit .. agenda bullshit

I call that what it is .. Splitting hairs  / using legalese to support agenda

Of course if they have no virus, it's should be called whatever it is .. but if the virus caused "it" to happen, another ballgame

And separately, many die at home with no report of virus .. those do not even go in the count

Everyone is interpreting / using science to suit their agenda
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Anonymous

Oh, I get it. In the US, if your arteries are clogged, they cancel your stent surgery because hospitals are now for serious stuff like people with a cough, you die from a massive heart attack but, incidentally test positive, it's COVID. :crazy:

cc

You really distorted my words and meaning .. grossly in fact .. and shot off in a totally different direction -  this is what I meant with "Everyone is interpreting / using science to suit their agenda"

I'll say it again differently. If one becomes virus-positive .. and that virus causes pneumonia (or many other of its potential symptoms)  .. then the cause / culprit of the person's problem is the virus, not any symptoms the virus brought on

Put conversely, attempting to say the "cause is the symptom" is in effect saying no one is ill from the virus, and that they are only ill of the symptoms   ... Using that logic, is in effect saying there are no illnesses or deaths from the virus .. none .. zero
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Anonymous

Quote from: cc post_id=363375 time=1590342808 user_id=88
You really distorted my words and meaning .. grossly in fact .. and shot off in a totally different direction -  this is what I meant with "Everyone is interpreting / using science to suit their agenda"

I'll say it again differently. If one becomes virus-positive .. and that virus causes pneumonia (or many other of its potential symptoms)  .. then the cause / culprit of the person's problem is the virus, not any symptoms the virus brought on

Put conversely, attempting to say the "cause is the symptom" is in effect saying no one is ill from the virus, and that they are only ill of the symptoms   ... Using that logic, is in effect saying there are no illnesses or deaths from the virus .. none .. zero

I understand what you're saying cc..

But, the USA has reported many causes of death as COVID-19 when it wasn't..

Even a senior American public health official has acknowledged that.

Anonymous

Quote from: Fashionista post_id=363290 time=1590270884 user_id=3254
Quote from: Herman post_id=363217 time=1590183051 user_id=1689
Nothing in that graph means anything. None of those countries knows their actual number of infected. The US death rate is pure exaggerated bullshit.

Dr Birx has acknowledged the American death numbers from COVID is higher than what is reported.

NYT Issues Correction After Coronavirus Death List Includes Suspected Homicide Victim

https://dailycaller.com/2020/05/24/new-york-times-coronavirus-death-list-suspected-homicide-victim/?utm_source=piano&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2360&pnespid=k.Y0pvtbXQON2o6DxSZk6PdUCnsZXAutzZ1FrH9w">https://dailycaller.com/2020/05/24/new- ... utzZ1FrH9w">https://dailycaller.com/2020/05/24/new-york-times-coronavirus-death-list-suspected-homicide-victim/?utm_source=piano&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2360&pnespid=k.Y0pvtbXQON2o6DxSZk6PdUCnsZXAutzZ1FrH9w

Anonymous

I hope these trials are successful and this proves to be an effective COVID-19 treatment.

Could a simple gas produced by our bodies be used to treat COVID-19? Canadian trials underway

TORONTO -- In the race to find an effective, low-cost treatment for COVID-19, a powerful molecule that has long captured the attention of medical researchers is gaining popularity.

Nitric oxide, a two-part nanomolecule made in the cells that line the blood vessels, is being examined as an experimental treatment for the disease caused by the novel coronavirus. Studies show it plays a role in helping to relax blood vessels and open the airways in the lung -- critical in treating those with advanced cases.

Among the companies vying to harness this naturally produced gas is a Canadian firm that is experimenting with using nitric oxide nasal spray or mouth gargles that may help those at a high risk of becoming infected from contracting COVID-19 in the first place.

SaNOtize Research has been given a $400,000 grant from the National Research Council and is now conducting phase two of a clinical trial on people at high risk for contracting COVID-19, including front-line workers, and those with mild symptoms of the disease.

The trial, which started in British Columbia, is being expanded to participants in Quebec come June 1, with talk of an Ontario-based study in the near future.

"It's really important we get this trial done as soon as possible and then we can work with regulatory authority, then we can turn it around in three to four months," Chris Miller, SaNOtize Chief Scientific Officer, told CTV News.

Nitric Oxide has many properties -- it's produced by cells that line our blood vessels to helps control blood pressure and open the airways in the lung, allowing more oxygen to be absorbed.

But researchers have also found nitric oxide has a antibacterial and antiviral effect.

SaNOtize's nasal spray is designed to "disinfect" your upper airway using nitric oxide. Initial tests of the company's product suggest that the spray inactivated more than 99.9 per cent of SARs-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, within two minutes during laboratory tests.

"You're using a hand sanitizer to disinfect your hands. It's a similar idea, but instead of a hand sanitizer, it's a nasal spray to disinfect your upper airway," SaNOtize CEO Gilly Regev told CTV Vancouver.

With no confirmed therapeutic treatment for COVID-19, researchers around the world have turned their attention to the molecule once dubbed "molecule of the year."

Discovered in the 1980s, nitric oxide is already approved for use in helping improve oxygen levels in premature babies and is used in some cardiac procedures and drugs for erectile dysfunction.

One of the studies suggesting it may have potential as a tool against COVID-19 is a report by Dr. Roham Zamanian, a pulmonologist at Stanford Health Care in California. His team gave nitric oxide to a woman suffering from pulmonary arterial hypertension who had also developed COVID-19.

Doctors treated her at home, adding the gas to her oxygen supply.

Over the course of 11 days, the patient improved and didn't need hospital care.

We saw an improvement in her symptoms, we saw an improvement in her ability to walk distances over six minutes, which is our usual test of cardiopulmonary reserve," Zamanian told CTV News.

"We were able to document that she was feeling better and better as we provided her with the nitric oxide, until day 15, 16 where we want to begin to wean the medication off."

Her recovery encouraged Zamanian so much that his centre is now launching a study of inhaled nitric oxide in hospitalized patients and those recovering at home

Another study is underway at the University Health Network in Toronto to see whether high dose inhaled nitric oxide given in hospital can reduce levels of the virus and improve breathing in COVID-19 patients on ventilators.

Scientists in Boston and Louisiana are also giving several hundred severely ill patients nitric oxide, with preliminary results expected in the coming weeks. Several devices that produce nitric oxide have also been given the green light for testing in the U.S.

Researchers say side effects from the gas are minimal and they hope to have more data on the various approaches later this year, before the expected second wave of the disease.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/could-a-simple-gas-produced-by-our-bodies-be-used-to-treat-covid-19-canadian-trials-underway-1.4962611">https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavir ... -1.4962611">https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/could-a-simple-gas-produced-by-our-bodies-be-used-to-treat-covid-19-canadian-trials-underway-1.4962611

Anonymous

Quote from: "iron horse jockey" post_id=364335 time=1591026612 user_id=2015
A nasal spray treatment. :thumbup:

Wouldn't it be terrific if it was available over the counter in the coming months.

Anonymous

Evidence Suggests Kids Are Extremely Low Risk For Coronavirus

https://dailycaller.com/2020/05/31/kids-schools-low-risk-coronavirus-trump-fauci/?utm_source=piano&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2360&pnespid=1.tor.VJBlSNxIEa7oHJ2XOv4RcEntmxL9hYAdg3">https://dailycaller.com/2020/05/31/kids ... mxL9hYAdg3">https://dailycaller.com/2020/05/31/kids-schools-low-risk-coronavirus-trump-fauci/?utm_source=piano&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2360&pnespid=1.tor.VJBlSNxIEa7oHJ2XOv4RcEntmxL9hYAdg3

While much still remains unknown about the coronavirus, a consensus has emerged that the virus presents an extremely minimal risk for children.

As the Summer months arrive, debate has emerged over whether or not it's safe for schools to reopen. Most colleges throughout the U.S. have already stated their intentions to reopen their campuses this Fall, and two-thirds of college students feel safe returning even without a vaccine, according to a recent poll. However, managing to return younger students to school could prove more complicated.

President Donald Trump recently clashed with White House coronavirus task force member Dr. Anthony Fauci over the possibility of K-12 schools reopening in the Fall, noting that the virus presents an extremely low risk to children. On the surface, the president is indisputably correct. A study published in late April estimated that roughly 1/3 of children ages 6-10 who had the coronavirus were asymptomatic, and concluded "the role of children in transmission is unclear, but it seems likely they do not play a significant role."

Fox Sports commentator Clay Travis noted that the odds of people under the age of 24 dying from the coronavirus are statistically lower than them getting struck by lightning. The odds of someone under the age of 24 dying of the coronavirus is roughly one in 1 million, while the odds of someone in that age group getting struck by lightning is roughly one in 700,000.

Anonymous

Drugmakers struggle to meet demand for antidepressant Zoloft amid COVID-19

https://www.fiercepharma.com/pharma/drugmakers-struggle-to-meet-demand-for-antidepressant-zoloft-amid-covid-19">https://www.fiercepharma.com/pharma/dru ... d-covid-19">https://www.fiercepharma.com/pharma/drugmakers-struggle-to-meet-demand-for-antidepressant-zoloft-amid-covid-19

The COVID-19 pandemic has tested pharma's supply chain and spawned several drug shortages. Now, with mental health suffering, antidepressant Zoloft and its generics are in short supply.

A number of drugmakers are having trouble keeping up with higher demand, while some can't get their hands on active pharmaceutical ingredients (APIs) to make the medicine, the FDA said Friday.

Lupin, for one, is in "continuous production" but is citing higher demand and an API shortage for it

Anonymous

Blazor

Quote from: Fashionista post_id=364635 time=1591190358 user_id=3254
This pandemic and lock downs have been bad for people's mental health.

I totally agree!

Hell someone committed suicide in the walmart parking lot here yesterday. Of course it wasnt on the news, suicides usually aint reported, yet they should be.

I became super sad yesterday, found out Clifftop got canceled, the ONE thing I was hoping to still do near the end of the summer. Now.... there is nothing  :sad:

I've only seen one friend one time during this mess. Hell I would meet up with Seamajor for a beer right now just to hang out with someone hahaha. Does that tell you where my state of mind is?  :laugh:
I've come here to chew bubble gum, and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

@realAzhyaAryola

How crazy is it that these protesters forgot all about social distancing. Madness.
@realAzhyaAryola

[size=80]Sometimes, my comments have a touch of humor, often tongue-in-cheek, so don\'t take it so seriously.[/size]