The best topic

Replies: 10550
Total votes: : 4

Last post: October 05, 2024, 09:26:27 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Frood

COVID-19 >>"True and Helpful" Covid Information Thread

Started by cc, March 13, 2020, 04:44:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 8 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Anonymous

Quote from: Herman post_id=443015 time=1646870098 user_id=1689
Quote from: cc post_id=442986 time=1646854621 user_id=88
BA.2

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/new-studies-bring-ba-2-variant-into-sharper-focus-1.5793134">https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavir ... -1.5793134">https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/new-studies-bring-ba-2-variant-into-sharper-focus-1.5793134

"The situation that we're seeing on the ground, and I get this from talking to a number of my colleagues who actually do the genomic surveillance, is BA.2 is kind of creeping up in terms of numbers, but it's not the meteoric rise that we saw with BA.1," said Angela Rasmussen, a virologist at the Vaccine and Infectious Disease Organization at the University of Saskatchewan in Canada.

That's because in many countries like the U.S., U.K., and Denmark, BA.2 has hit speed bumps left in its wake by BA.1, which was already very contagious.

"It's so soon after that initial BA.1 peak that you have a lot of people who were either vaccinated or boosted ... [or] got Omicron, and so right now all of those people will have relatively high titers of antibodies, neutralizing antibodies that will protect against infection," Rasmussen says.

The new studies are preprints, which means they were posted to an online library of medical research before being reviewed by outside experts and published in medical journals.

NO INCREASE IN HOSPITALIZATIONS

The first new study comes from South Africa, where BA.2 grew rapidly, rising from 27 per cent to 86 per cent of new COVID-19 infections over the course of a single week in February. Researchers looked at cases tied to more than 95,000 positive COVID-19 tests. Among these, roughly equal proportions of people were hospitalized for their infections -- roughly 3.6 per cent of people who had presumed BA.2 infections compared to 3.4 per cent of those with signs infections caused by BA.1.

After researchers accounted for things that might influence a person's risk of severe disease, such as older age, they found no difference in the risk for hospitalization between people infected by BA.1 and those infected by BA.2. Roughly one-quarter of people hospitalized with both BA.1 and BA.2 infections were fully vaccinated.

Those findings echo hospitalization studies from Denmark, where BA.2 is also the predominant cause of COVID-19 infections.

The lead researcher on the South African study, Dr. Nicole Wolter, says that while it's difficult to say how the South African experience with this variant may translate to other countries, what they're seeing from BA.2 after their fourth wave isn't a second peak, but a longer tail.

Old Herman is done with all the restrictions and mandates even if it does come roaring back.

We will see if it comes back as hard or worse as Delta.

cc

Hospitalizations  ( a far more accurate yardstick than cases) on a per 100,000 remains at close to 5 / 1 vaxxed vs unvaxxed here ..

I have no regular  data on other areas, but can think of no reason why other areas  would not be about same
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Anonymous

Quote from: Fashionista post_id=443028 time=1646873791 user_id=3254
BA.2

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/new-studies-bring-ba-2-variant-into-sharper-focus-1.5793134">https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavir ... -1.5793134">https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/new-studies-bring-ba-2-variant-into-sharper-focus-1.5793134

"The situation that we're seeing on the ground, and I get this from talking to a number of my colleagues who actually do the genomic surveillance, is BA.2 is kind of creeping up in terms of numbers, but it's not the meteoric rise that we saw with BA.1," said Angela Rasmussen, a virologist at the Vaccine and Infectious Disease Organization at the University of Saskatchewan in Canada.

That's because in many countries like the U.S., U.K., and Denmark, BA.2 has hit speed bumps left in its wake by BA.1, which was already very contagious.

"It's so soon after that initial BA.1 peak that you have a lot of people who were either vaccinated or boosted ... [or] got Omicron, and so right now all of those people will have relatively high titers of antibodies, neutralizing antibodies that will protect against infection," Rasmussen says.

The new studies are preprints, which means they were posted to an online library of medical research before being reviewed by outside experts and published in medical journals.

The first new study comes from South Africa, where BA.2 grew rapidly, rising from 27 per cent to 86 per cent of new COVID-19 infections over the course of a single week in February. Researchers looked at cases tied to more than 95,000 positive COVID-19 tests. Among these, roughly equal proportions of people were hospitalized for their infections -- roughly 3.6 per cent of people who had presumed BA.2 infections compared to 3.4 per cent of those with signs infections caused by BA.1.

After researchers accounted for things that might influence a person's risk of severe disease, such as older age, they found no difference in the risk for hospitalization between people infected by BA.1 and those infected by BA.2. Roughly one-quarter of people hospitalized with both BA.1 and BA.2 infections were fully vaccinated.

Those findings echo hospitalization studies from Denmark, where BA.2 is also the predominant cause of COVID-19 infections.

The lead researcher on the South African study, Dr. Nicole Wolter, says that while it's difficult to say how the South African experience with this variant may translate to other countries, what they're seeing from BA.2 after their fourth wave isn't a second peak, but a longer tail.

Old Herman is done with all the restrictions and mandates even if it does come roaring back.

Meaning if shit gets real again everyone will go back to restrictions and what not?

Anonymous

Quote from: Herman post_id=443035 time=1646875518 user_id=1689
Quote from: Fashionista post_id=443028 time=1646873791 user_id=3254
BA.2

Meaning if shit gets real again everyone will go back to restrictions and what not?

I don't know what the future of COVID will look like..

There could be a lot of people who may have to make changes they don't like.

cc

Quote from: Fashionista post_id=443037 time=1646876324 user_id=3254

That is beyond anyone's control and all comes down to a combination of hospitalizations and / or variant severity & transmissibility

Angus Reid Poll

https://angusreid.org/covid-19-two-year-anniversary/">Seven-in-ten believe Canada's health-care system is not well-prepared to handle a future pandemic

https://i0.wp.com/angusreid.org/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/word-image-10.png?w=570&ssl=1">

Anonymous

Quote from: cc post_id=443110 time=1646936622 user_id=88
Quote from: Fashionista post_id=443037 time=1646876324 user_id=3254

That is beyond anyone's control and all comes down to a combination of hospitalizations and / or variant severity & transmissibility

Angus Reid Poll

https://server9.kproxy.com/servlet/redirect.srv/slxv/smspdfivdr/p2/covid-19-two-year-anniversary/">Seven-in-ten believe Canada's health-care system is not well-prepared to handle a future pandemic

https://i0.wp.com/angusreid.org/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/word-image-10.png?w=570&ssl=1">

Those poll results mirror what I have seen.

cc

This morning BC just became one of the most regulation free provinces

No masks mandated as of tomorrow .. passports out soon etc. etc.  (we'll see if it lasts)

cc

So the mouthy goof in Calgary who is planning to  bomb Victoria with trucks will again make a silly fool of himself

Protest What??

Anonymous

Quote from: cc post_id=443142 time=1646948890 user_id=88
This morning BC just became one of the most regulation free provinces

No masks mandated as of tomorrow .. passports out soon etc. etc.  (we'll see if it lasts)

I thought BC said they were going to keep all that?

Anonymous

Quote from: cc post_id=443143 time=1646949602 user_id=88
So the mouthy goof in Calgary who is planning to  bomb Victoria with trucks will again make a silly fool of himself

Protest What??

Who?

cc

Quote from: Herman post_id=443159 time=1646954825 user_id=1689

Protest What??

Who?
Maybe you didn't heard about it.

Some dork in Calgary is supposed to be getting together 100s of trucks, cars etc.  to invade Victoria next week.

Anonymous

Quote from: cc post_id=443178 time=1646958203 user_id=88
Quote from: Herman post_id=443159 time=1646954825 user_id=1689

Protest What??

Who?
Maybe you didn't heard about it.

Some dork in Calgary is supposed to be getting together 100s of trucks, cars etc.  to invade Victoria next week.

Now, I understand something you posted yesterday.

cc

https://www.todayinbc.com/news/mob-rule-wont-affect-b-c-s-covid-19-restrictions-minister-warns/">'Mob rule' won't affect B.C.'s COVID-19 restrictions, minister warns

Police monitoring what could be Victoria's biggest protest yet

As the latest and largest "freedom convoy" heads across Western Canada to converge on Victoria by Monday, B.C. Public Safety Minister Mike Farnworth says police are prepared to keep anti-vaccine mandate protests under control.

The capital has seen a series of horn-honking vehicle convoys circling the B.C. legislature on recent weekends, inspired by the recent occupation of downtown Ottawa, and a self-described organizer of the latest one has targeted Victoria for what he says is intended to "occupy" the downtown area for weeks or months. [cc Smirks] ac_smile

Police have ticketed vehicles for blasting their horns, enforcing a new city bylaw against excessive noise. Most weekdays, a small group of protesters calling for the end of mandates has waved flags and protest signs but has not blocked traffic.

But, but, but ... OOPS ..... There's nothing to protest  :crazy:

Anonymous

Quote from: cc post_id=443200 time=1646965214 user_id=88
https://server3.kproxy.com/servlet/redirect.srv/sruj/sllyulosek/spqr/p2/news/mob-rule-wont-affect-b-c-s-covid-19-restrictions-minister-warns/">'Mob rule' won't affect B.C.'s COVID-19 restrictions, minister warns

Police monitoring what could be Victoria's biggest protest yet

As the latest and largest "freedom convoy" heads across Western Canada to converge on Victoria by Monday, B.C. Public Safety Minister Mike Farnworth says police are prepared to keep anti-vaccine mandate protests under control.

The capital has seen a series of horn-honking vehicle convoys circling the B.C. legislature on recent weekends, inspired by the recent occupation of downtown Ottawa, and a self-described organizer of the latest one has targeted Victoria for what he says is intended to "occupy" the downtown area for weeks or months. [cc Smirks] ac_smile

Police have ticketed vehicles for blasting their horns, enforcing a new city bylaw against excessive noise. Most weekdays, a small group of protesters calling for the end of mandates has waved flags and protest signs but has not blocked traffic.

But, but, but ... OOPS ..... There's nothing to protest  :crazy:

What is the point if the BC government is lifting all protocols.

cc

Horgan just suggested they

"get a hobby ... something better to do than drive around in circles  honking their horns like idiots"