The best topic

Replies: 10547
Total votes: : 4

Last post: October 04, 2024, 10:46:23 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Shen Li

Shenzhen becomes first Chinese city to ban eating cats and dogs

Started by Anonymous, April 03, 2020, 11:11:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 4 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Anonymous

I have a feeling it'll be a long time before the rest of the country does the same.

ac_unsure

Shenzhen has become the first city in China to ban eating cats and dogs as part of a wider effort to control the wet markets where the first animal-to-human transmission of the novel coronavirus likely occurred.

"Dogs and cats as pets have established a much closer relationship with humans than all other animals, and banning the consumption of dogs and cats and other pets is a common practice in developed countries and in Hong Kong and Taiwan," the Shenzhen city government said in an order posted on Wednesday.

Shenzhen, a city of 12.5 million people, is a major technology hub in southern China and sits across the water from semi-autonomous Hong Kong.

China's top legislature said in February that it would ban the trade and consumption of wild animals. However, Shenzhen officials appear to be getting ahead of the game with their own ban, specifically targeting the consumption of cats and dogs.

An estimated 30 million dogs and 10 million cats are killed for their meat across Asia every year, according to Humane Society International (HSI). They're something of a niche food, although Yulin, China, holds a dedicated dog meat festival every year.

https://globalnews.ca/news/6766984/coronavirus-china-eating-dogs-cats-ban/">https://globalnews.ca/news/6766984/coro ... -cats-ban/">https://globalnews.ca/news/6766984/coronavirus-china-eating-dogs-cats-ban/

Vancouver

Time is malleable

caskur

It's disgusting but not the only place dogs and cats are eaten.

A few years back when Zimbabwe went broke, people's much loved pets went missing.

Anyway, I'm hopeful Shenzhen's new law is adhered to.
"I think having land and not ruining it is the most beautiful art that anybody could ever want."
- Andy Warhol

@realAzhyaAryola

Quote from: "Fashionista"I have a feeling it'll be a long time before the rest of the country does the same.

ac_unsure

Shenzhen has become the first city in China to ban eating cats and dogs as part of a wider effort to control the wet markets where the first animal-to-human transmission of the novel coronavirus likely occurred.

"Dogs and cats as pets have established a much closer relationship with humans than all other animals, and banning the consumption of dogs and cats and other pets is a common practice in developed countries and in Hong Kong and Taiwan," the Shenzhen city government said in an order posted on Wednesday.

Shenzhen, a city of 12.5 million people, is a major technology hub in southern China and sits across the water from semi-autonomous Hong Kong.

China's top legislature said in February that it would ban the trade and consumption of wild animals. However, Shenzhen officials appear to be getting ahead of the game with their own ban, specifically targeting the consumption of cats and dogs.

An estimated 30 million dogs and 10 million cats are killed for their meat across Asia every year, according to Humane Society International (HSI). They're something of a niche food, although Yulin, China, holds a dedicated dog meat festival every year.

https://globalnews.ca/news/6766984/coronavirus-china-eating-dogs-cats-ban/">https://globalnews.ca/news/6766984/coro ... -cats-ban/">https://globalnews.ca/news/6766984/coronavirus-china-eating-dogs-cats-ban/

Have you eaten cats and dogs? I've been told that all Chinese people eat cats and dogs.
@realAzhyaAryola

[size=80]Sometimes, my comments have a touch of humor, often tongue-in-cheek, so don\'t take it so seriously.[/size]

@realAzhyaAryola

Quote from: "caskur"It's disgusting but not the only place dogs and cats are eaten.

A few years back when Zimbabwe went broke, people's much loved pets went missing.

Do you think that there are still cannibals today? I just wonder.
@realAzhyaAryola

[size=80]Sometimes, my comments have a touch of humor, often tongue-in-cheek, so don\'t take it so seriously.[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "TheVancouverGuy"Should be banned in the country. Those sick fucks.

It is 2020 and people are still eating cats and dogs. Anybody that could do that needs their head examined.

Frood

Damn... that sucks...

...I hope they'll honour my order and deliver my Number 6 crispy cat dog Combination...
Blahhhhhh...

Anonymous

Quote from: "Dinky Dazza"Damn... that sucks...

...I hope they'll honour my order and deliver my Number 6 crispy cat dog Combination...

Of course they will honour it. Would the Chinese lie.

Frood

Quote from: "seoulbro"
Quote from: "Dinky Dazza"Damn... that sucks...

Of course they will honour it. Would the Chinese lie.

Never!
Blahhhhhh...

Anonymous

Quote from: "caskur"It's disgusting but not the only place dogs and cats are eaten.

Hunger is not a problem in a wealthy city like Shenzen.

Vancouver

Quote from: "Fashionista"

and then eventually only wealthy people can afford to have dogs and cats for dinner. Despite the ban the practice will not stop.
Time is malleable

Anonymous

Quote from: "TheVancouverGuy"
Quote from: "Fashionista"

and then eventually only wealthy people can afford to have dogs and cats for dinner. Despite the ban the practice will not stop.

Have they not heard of filet mignon or halibut.

Zetsu

Lets just hope this will be a proper start to end the cruelty and inhumane ways of how animals are butchered and killed in China.
Permanently off his rocker

caskur

Quote from: "@realAzhyaAryola"

Absolutely. There are in New Guinea.... children went missing when Haiti was flattened, to cannibalism.... And WHO (or one of those authorities reported North Korea that the poor farmers children were getting eaten.

And there was a Russian serial killer that killed 44 people or more and ate them.

Cannibalism causes (in people) the Mad Cow Disease, so being a cannibal isn't a very smart idea.
"I think having land and not ruining it is the most beautiful art that anybody could ever want."
- Andy Warhol

Frood

Quote from: "caskur"
Quote from: "@realAzhyaAryola"

Absolutely. There are in New Guinea.... children went missing when Haiti was flattened, to cannibalism.... And WHO (or one of those authorities reported North Korea that the poor farmers children were getting eaten.

And there was a Russian serial killer that killed 44 people or more and ate them.

Cannibalism causes (in people) the Mad Cow Disease, so being a cannibal isn't a very smart idea.

Cannibalism doesn't "cause" CJD (or variants).... it can spread it though... just like any disease from not eating properly cooked meat... TB in deer populations... Bubonic in squirrels... corona viruses in bats.... et cetera...

It's not very smart for you to talk about science....
Blahhhhhh...