Replies: 10406
Total votes: : 4

Last post: September 21, 2024, 09:47:30 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Herman

East Asians Beat The West In PISA Test Scores

Started by Anonymous, December 03, 2013, 11:00:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Quote from: "seoulbro"Yes, Asians are doing better than most at tests, but not without some major disruptions to normal kid life. Kids in Korea will go to cram schools before regular school, stay after regular class hours for extra study, go to more hakwons until about 10 pm before going home. They might eat dinner around 11 pm, go to bed at midnight, wake up at 5:00 am and start the process all over again. No life, only study, study and more study.

Teens in Korea display symptoms of stress and anxiety that no 15 year old should ever have to experience. I grew up in Canada, but I still had extracurricular classes and private tutors. It was a cakewalk compared to what my cousins in Korea had to endure. I am too Westernized, I would have slipped through the cracks if I went to school in Korea. We've heard all work and no play, makes Jack a dull boy? In Korea, all study and no normal development make Min Chul think about suicide. :o

It is very stressful for students in Asia..

What is a strange twist is that when teenagers finally get into a good university in Taiwan or Japan then they spend a lot of their time in bars..

Perhaps it is changing now as competition for jobs has increased.

Anonymous

I don't think hard work at a young age is bad at all. When you are young is the time to study as we say. I left China in grade 3 and I remember doing the same math in grade 6 in Canada that I did three years earlier in Shenzhen. :o

Odinson

lol you are all weak.

You sacrificing physique by studying hard... That is why all of us think you are wimps.

Fine ass ladies and fine ass ladyboys.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Shen Li"I don't think hard work at a young age is bad at all. When you are young is the time to study as we say. I left China in grade 3 and I remember doing the same math in grade 6 in Canada that I did three years earlier in Shenzhen. :o

That is because students are pushed so hard at a very young age.

Rambo Wong

Anonymous

Quote from: "Rambo Wong"East Asians are macho cool

Oh will you shut the fuck up. :roll:

Romero

QuoteThe Truth About Shanghai Schools: They're Terrible

The biggest problem with Chinese education? It's medieval. Shanghainese education is just like the stories my grandmother tells about high school in the 1940's. Footage of military parades in Fascist Italy share an unnerving resemblance to the morning assemblies from my school in Shanghai. Chinese education would be a poison for America, not a remedy.

A major reason why certain students do poorly in China is that their skills are ignored. Creativity and critical thinking are seen as objects of western frivolousness. Although Chinese students analyze literature, they never write essays and instead they simply memorize the texts. I have never memorized so much in my life as I did in Shanghai. The ideal Shanghainese student is like a sea sponge blindly absorbing any and all information and spewing it all out during the tests.

So obviously when the Shanghainese students have a Pisa test placed in front of them, they complete it without having to think twice. Chinese children have been taking tests since the arrival of their milk teeth. The system breeds Pisa champions, but it also ruins young lives.

http://www.commondreams.org/view/2013/12/28-3">//http://www.commondreams.org/view/2013/12/28-3

cc

Quote from: "Shen Li"
Quote from: "Rambo Wong"East Asians are macho cool

Oh will you shut the fuck up. :roll:
Sit on his face. That will shut him up

Wait!! Wait!! Silly me !!!  That's what he wants you to do
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Anonymous

Romero's article is only the opinion of some leftist retard. The proof is in the pudding, the West should emulate Shanghai and not the other way around.
QuoteChina has a long tradition of respect for education. In fact, there is much societal and family pressure to do well academically. This has fostered education reform throughout history at many levels. While the entire country has made strides in education, Shanghai is at the forefront as it has been given special authority to experiment with reform before the rest of the country. With its recent rankings at the top of the PISA 2009 exam, all eyes will be on how these reforms were made.  

Shanghai, the largest city in China, was the first to achieve one hundred percent primary and junior high school enrollment. It was one of the first to achieve almost universal secondary school attendance. Also notable is that all students in Shanghai who want to attend some type of higher education are able to do so. Universal education involved including children of migrant workers from rural areas of the country – amounting to 21 percent of school children in the city. (With a population of nearly 20 million, that's nearly four million migrant school children.) In other parts of China, these children may be seen as a problem. Shanghai, however, is a city fueled by migrants, and it embraced this population and integrated these children into its classrooms.

China's education system has struggled to move away from the exam-based system that drives curriculum and results in memorizing facts to pass the test. In 1985, Shanghai began a process of reform and created exams that test the application of real-life skills. Multiple choice questions no longer appear on the city's exams.

http://asiasociety.org/education/learning-world/shanghai-worlds-best-school-system">http://asiasociety.org/education/learni ... ool-system">http://asiasociety.org/education/learning-world/shanghai-worlds-best-school-system

Anonymous

I am so glad I never had to endure Korea's educational system.

Anonymous

Quote from: "seoulbro"I am so glad I never had to endure Korea's educational system.

Taiwanese students have to study and cram a lot too.

Obvious Li

Quote from: "seoulbro"I am so glad I never had to endure Korea's educational system.

ya it is brutal....i felt so sorry for those little kids......just study study study.......until you write the finals in grade 12......once you get into seoul uiversity or the top engineering school then you do fuck all from there in........what a stupid system........i did however like the mandatory school uniforms...that is a good idea

NA is the opposite....marginal work in grade school......once you enter  university then you start to specialize and learn something.....

Odinson

Its a good thing that they do not let Jerry Bruckheimer to ruin the hobbit movies.

Steven Spielberg is said to be the worlds best movie director but he himself has said that Aki Kaurismäki is the worlds best. Kaurismäki is finnish but prefers solitude and drinking. Probably one of the few whom have actually refused to take the Oscar award.

He owns the moscow bar in Helsinki.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Obvious Li"

ya it is brutal....i felt so sorry for those little kids......just study study study.......until you write the finals in grade 12......once you get into seoul uiversity or the top engineering school then you do fuck all from there in........what a stupid system........i did however like the mandatory school uniforms...that is a good idea

NA is the opposite....marginal work in grade school......once you enter  university then you start to specialize and learn something.....

Yeah, it's a bizarre system where you work your ass off as a kid, so you can coast in your late teens and early twenties.

Rambo Wong

East Asians are more macho cool that westerners