News:

SMF - Just Installed!

The best topic

Replies: 10388
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 04:30:51 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Aryan

is there any idiom that describes a situation?

Started by jaysings, December 08, 2013, 07:26:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Romero

I believe he's describing a situation where a man or anybody who hasn't been pregnant couldn't understand what it's like. Perhaps the person is criticizing the pregnant woman for being a whiner, as if pregnancy isn't really a big deal.

An idiom could be: "You wouldn't understand. Being pregnant is like..."

Anonymous

Quote from: "Romero"I believe he's describing a situation where a man or anybody who hasn't been pregnant couldn't understand what it's like. Perhaps the person is criticizing the pregnant woman for being a whiner, as if pregnancy isn't really a big deal.

I thought so too Romero, but then his last post in this thread seemed different.

Romero

Yeah, he says it doesn't necessarily have to be about pregnancy but some sort of similar situation.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Romero"Yeah, he says it doesn't necessarily have to be about pregnancy but some sort of similar situation.

I can't really think of anything in English other than what you mentioned.

jaysings

Quote from: "Romero"Sorry, jaysings, I can't think of any. I'm not sure if there are any popular idioms for it.

What would be a Chinese expression?

In Chinese, we uses a phrase, "夏虫不可语冰", to criticize someone whose comment is over what he/she knew.

jaysings

Quote from: "Romero"I believe he's describing a situation where a man or anybody who hasn't been pregnant couldn't understand what it's like. Perhaps the person is criticizing the pregnant woman for being a whiner, as if pregnancy isn't really a big deal.

yes, that's the situation I was trying to describe :D

but in your point of view, what idiom u will say to that critic who has criticized the pregnant woman for being a whiner?

that idiom is what I'm asking about

jaysings

Quote from: "Fashionista"

I thought so too Romero, but then his last post in this thread seemed different.

he is right. sorry to have messed up your thought. I'm struggling to improve my writing and can be free to make a comment using registers in high level

Anonymous

Quote from: "jaysings"

but in your point of view, what idiom u will say to that critic who has criticized the pregnant woman for being a whiner?

Romero gave you some examples of what people might say..

You could probably Google what you are looking for.

jaysings

yes I did. I've searched this through Google, but it is too difficult to find out. that's why I came here for the answer.

Anonymous

yes I did. I've searched this through Google, but it is too difficult to find out. that's why I came here for the answer.

Just curious, why are you so determined to find an expression to describe this situation? I struggle with English at times myself, but I don't really care if I have a saying in hand for every single situation. I can get by in most conversations, but I do NOT quite have native speaker fluency. I am perfect in every other way though.  ;)

Are you studying for an English test for university entrance?

Romero

Quote from: "jaysings"but in your point of view, what idiom u will say to that critic who has criticized the pregnant woman for being a whiner?

I can't think of any, sorry! Few men would dare criticize a pregnant woman for being a whiner. There would be a lot more hell to pay than just idioms.

The only idiom I know of a pregnant woman telling a man is "I hate you for what you've done to me".

Obvious Li

how about this for an idiom...................

all women are whiners.....pregnant women whine more than usual.....now move on

Obvious Li

Quote from: "Shen Li"

Just curious, why are you so determined to find an expression to describe this situation? I struggle with English at times myself, but I don't really care if I have a saying in hand for every single situation. I can get by in most conversations, but I do NOT quite have native speaker fluency. I am perfect in every other way though.  ;)

oh..true dat............ :mrgreen:

jaysings

Quote from: "Shen Li"

the requirement admission of U of S is easier to be satisfied than that of UBC. Yes, I'm studying English for a try to achieve UBC's English standard requirement, so that there will be an alternative for me to start a university life.

jaysings

Quote from: "Romero"
Quote from: "jaysings"but in your point of view, what idiom u will say to that critic who has criticized the pregnant woman for being a whiner?

I can't think of any, sorry! Few men would dare criticize a pregnant woman for being a whiner. There would be a lot more hell to pay than just idioms.

The only idiom I know of a pregnant woman telling a man is "I hate you for what you've done to me".

look, forget about "pregnancy" but give some resembled occasions a deep thinking for how to reply in idiom if u got that kind of responses by such assholes.