Replies: 10403
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 07:05:02 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by James Bond

A

Canada Must Reject Capital Gains Tax On Homes

Started by Anonymous, March 22, 2021, 09:57:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Anonymous

Crack down on Foreign speculation in our housing market instead

Canada's housing market has become dramatically distorted for three main reasons:

1. Restrictions on development that artificially constrain supply.

2. Foreign speculation, particularly money flowing into Canada from China distorting the market.

3. Money printing by the Bank of Canada.

So of course, the proposed 'fix' for Canada's housing market being mused about by the Liberals and NDP is to completely ignore those three issues, and instead push a new tax.

This drives up prices, and pushes Canadians out of the housing market, further distorting a market that is already distorted by development restrictions and excessive money printing from the central bank.

A large tax on foreign purchasers of housing in Canada, or an outright ban like New Zealand imposed, would be a far better idea.

That's where the focus should be, not taking more money out of Canadians who are already overtaxed.

To their credit, the Conservative Party strongly rejected a capital gains tax on housing at their convention, and we need pushback from across the country against yet another tax our country can't afford.

Anonymous

Justine's solution for everything is to charge us more.

Anonymous

Quote from: seoulbro post_id=406010 time=1616464629 user_id=114

Canada's housing market has become dramatically distorted for three main reasons:

2. Foreign speculation, particularly money flowing into Canada from China distorting the market.

So of course, the proposed 'fix' for Canada's housing market being mused about by the Liberals and NDP is to completely ignore those three issues, and instead push a new tax.

This drives up prices, and pushes Canadians out of the housing market, further distorting a market that is already distorted by development restrictions and excessive money printing from the central bank.

A large tax on foreign purchasers of housing in Canada, or an outright ban like New Zealand imposed, would be a far better idea.

That's where the focus should be, not taking more money out of Canadians who are already overtaxed.

To their credit, the Conservative Party strongly rejected a capital gains tax on housing at their convention, and we need pushback from across the country against yet another tax our country can't afford.

I remember when you first posted about this......it didn't really seem like Ottawa would tax out principal residences..

Now, it seems inevitable.

Anonymous

The value of our house has gone up considerably since we bought it. This could be expensive.

Gaon

The Russian Rock It

cc

They have done a small tax on foreign / absent ownership. I have done the form which all property owners must submit or they will be charged the tax. Have had to do it 2 years now or will be taxed on residence

Something of this order is a good plan and a fair plan and a needed plan

I forget which govt level it was, may have been local .. will look into it tomorrow

In any regard, a major tax on absentee owners .. especially speculators is a good idea with many benefits to citizens
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Anonymous

Quote from: cc post_id=406047 time=1616481016 user_id=88

They have done a small tax on foreign / absent ownership. I have done the form which all property owners must submit or they will be charged the tax. Have had to do it 2 years now or will be taxed on residence

I forget which govt level it was, may have been local .. will look into it tomorrow

In any regard, a major tax on absentee owners .. especially speculators is a good idea with many benefits to citizens

I think that is the BC government.....Ottawa seems to prefer a capital gains tax.

Gaon

Has it made a difference?
The Russian Rock It

Anonymous

Quote from: Fashionista post_id=406053 time=1616496242 user_id=3254

I think that is the BC government.....Ottawa seems to prefer a capital gains tax.

And it's like Ontario's Non‑Resident Speculation Tax (NRST). It is a 15 per cent tax on the purchase or acquisition of an interest in residential property located in the Greater Golden Horseshoe Region (GGH) by individuals who are not citizens or permanent residents of Canada or by foreign corporations (foreign entities) and taxable trustees.

Anonymous

Quote from: seoulbro post_id=406099 time=1616556142 user_id=114
Quote from: Fashionista post_id=406053 time=1616496242 user_id=3254

And it's like Ontario's Non‑Resident Speculation Tax (NRST). It is a 15 per cent tax on the purchase or acquisition of an interest in residential property located in the Greater Golden Horseshoe Region (GGH) by individuals who are not citizens or permanent residents of Canada or by foreign corporations (foreign entities) and taxable trustees.

We don't have anything like that yet in Alberta.

cc

Yes. What we had to swear to in order to escape it is  provincial and it runs like that Seoul described

We also have a muni law that tries to take extra property tax tax upon sale if a person does not live in the home and sells it   .. weird part is, it one spends one day in it, that tax does not apply .. one day ffs .. My friend from Victoria has to come over and spend one day in the rental home she just sold (and between renter leaving and sale closing) .. like wtf?

All that aside, I'd be much in favor of speculation tax being high but not a value tax on legit owners

Anonymous

Quote from: cc post_id=406105 time=1616560616 user_id=88
Yes. What we had to swear to in order to escape it is  provincial and it runs like that Seoul described

We also have a muni law that tries to take extra property tax tax upon sale if a person does not live in the home and sells it   .. weird part is, it one spends one day in it, that tax does not apply .. one day ffs .. My friend from Victoria has to come over and spend one day in the rental home she just sold (and between renter leaving and sale closing) .. like wtf?

All that aside, I'd be much in favor of speculation tax being high but not a value tax on legit owners

No developed nations' citizens' financial security is so tied to the equity in their homes as in Canada. The type of tax Trudeau is seriously looking at is potentially devastating.

cc

If he's thinking of a significant equity tax based on value for those owning and living in their homes, it will destroy the very base of Canada, as you said "citizens' financial security is so tied to the equity in their homes"

Anonymous

The Liberals don't want to talk about their new tax.

Anonymous

Quote from: cc post_id=406119 time=1616594450 user_id=88
If he's thinking of a significant equity tax based on value for those owning and living in their homes, it will destroy the very base of Canada, as you said "citizens' financial security is so tied to the equity in their homes"

That is exactly what they haver their eye on. They need revenue streams for all their profligate spending.