Replies: 10409
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 06:23:53 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Lab Flaker

A

More Canadians Favour Selling CBC Than Keeping It

Started by Anonymous, January 30, 2014, 05:09:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 3 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Anonymous

Glad to see more Canadians are smartening up about taxpayer funded wastelands like CBC. Sell it along with Via and Canada Post. CN Rail went from being the worst class 1 railway on the continent to first in less than a decade after a real railroader(Hunter Harrison) took over from crony snivel serpents that wouldn't know what a double diamond sign along 105 territory track means.
QuoteOTTAWA - More Canadians now favour privatizing CBC, Canada Post and Via Rail than favour keeping the Crown corporations in public hands.

A poll of 1,996 Canadians by Abacus Data found that 45% of those surveyed support or strongly support selling CBC compared to 34% who opposed the move, while 21% were undecided. Support for selling Canada Post was slightly higher with 47% backing a sale and 38% opposed. Via Rail had the highest level of support for privatization with 53% agreeing that the rail service should be sold off.

Conservative voters were most likely to support privatization overall but they were not alone. A majority of Liberal and NDP voters backed privatizing Via Rail, 57% and 51% respectively. When it came to the postal service 58% of Conservatives agreed with privatization, 51% of Liberals and just 42% of New Democrats.

Via Rail lost $334,754,000 in 2012 before a government subsidy of $279,133,000 kicked in. Canada Post lost $129 million in the third quarter of 2013 and losses are expected to mount as fewer people send mail the old-fashioned way.

A previous Abacus poll on privatizing CBC found just 33% backed selling off the state broadcaster. This latest poll shows a 12% jump in support and it too crosses party lines. Fully 63% of self-identified Conservative voters back privatizing CBC. More Liberals backed privatization than opposed it, 45% versus 39% and New Democrats were split with 44% supporting privatization and 45% opposing.

CBC receives more than $1 billion a year from taxpayers.

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/01/29/canadians-ready-to-sell-cbc-and-canada-post-poll">http://www.torontosun.com/2014/01/29/ca ... -post-poll">http://www.torontosun.com/2014/01/29/canadians-ready-to-sell-cbc-and-canada-post-poll

Anonymous

Quote from: "Shen Li"Glad to see more Canadians are smartening up about taxpayer funded wastelands like CBC. Sell it along with Via and Canada Post. CN Rail went from being the worst class 1 railway on the continent to first in less than a decade after a real railroader(Hunter Harrison) took over from crony snivel serpents that wouldn't know what a double diamond sign along 105 territory track means.
QuoteOTTAWA - More Canadians now favour privatizing CBC, Canada Post and Via Rail than favour keeping the Crown corporations in public hands.

A poll of 1,996 Canadians by Abacus Data found that 45% of those surveyed support or strongly support selling CBC compared to 34% who opposed the move, while 21% were undecided. Support for selling Canada Post was slightly higher with 47% backing a sale and 38% opposed. Via Rail had the highest level of support for privatization with 53% agreeing that the rail service should be sold off.

Conservative voters were most likely to support privatization overall but they were not alone. A majority of Liberal and NDP voters backed privatizing Via Rail, 57% and 51% respectively. When it came to the postal service 58% of Conservatives agreed with privatization, 51% of Liberals and just 42% of New Democrats.

Via Rail lost $334,754,000 in 2012 before a government subsidy of $279,133,000 kicked in. Canada Post lost $129 million in the third quarter of 2013 and losses are expected to mount as fewer people send mail the old-fashioned way.

A previous Abacus poll on privatizing CBC found just 33% backed selling off the state broadcaster. This latest poll shows a 12% jump in support and it too crosses party lines. Fully 63% of self-identified Conservative voters back privatizing CBC. More Liberals backed privatization than opposed it, 45% versus 39% and New Democrats were split with 44% supporting privatization and 45% opposing.

CBC receives more than $1 billion a year from taxpayers.

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/01/29/canadians-ready-to-sell-cbc-and-canada-post-poll">http://www.torontosun.com/2014/01/29/ca ... -post-poll">http://www.torontosun.com/2014/01/29/canadians-ready-to-sell-cbc-and-canada-post-poll

I would count myself among those 21% who are undecided.

Rambo Wong

Canada should give the CBC and CN Rail to the Chinese people for Canada's racist past towards the Chinese people.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Rambo Wong"Canada should give the CBC and CN Rail to the Chinese people for Canada's racist past towards the Chinese people.

What do historical wrongs against Chinese-Canadians have to do with CN or CBC Rambo Wong?

RW

I could get behind CBC and Via Rail being sold but not Canada Post.  I imagine the privatize numbers are high because of the loss of home delivery.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "Real Woman"I could get behind CBC and Via Rail being sold but not Canada Post.  I imagine the privatize numbers are high because of the loss of home delivery.

My house was built in 1975, so we still get home delivery for now..

But if I had to walk half a block to pick up our mail it would not be a concern for us..

I am worried about elderly people that don't get their bills delivered electronically and might not be able to  make it to a mailbox.

RW

I am too rural for home delivery.  I have to go to the post office to get mail but I still think it's crap.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "Real Woman"I am too rural for home delivery.  I have to go to the post office to get mail but I still think it's crap.

You are dissatisfied with picking up your mail at the post office?

I thought rural citizens never had home delivery?

Anonymous

Germany privatized its post office, Deutsche Post, more than a decade ago. The Netherlands did the same thing. Ditto for Austria. All of these privatized enterprises operating in a competitive market have seen costs fall dramatically.

RW

It can be a pain to pick up mail like on really cold or snowy days.  It's much nicer to have it delivered to the door though.

It depends on the size of the "rural" city or town of you get home delivery or not.  Really rural areas usually have the community boxes or have to go to a post office.
Beware of Gaslighters!

RW

I'm not steadfast in my opposition in privatization.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "Real Woman"It can be a pain to pick up mail like on really cold or snowy days.  It's much nicer to have it delivered to the door though.

It depends on the size of the "rural" city or town of you get home delivery or not.  Really rural areas usually have the community boxes or have to go to a post office.

I am not too worried about walking a half block to community postal boxes..

We are healthy and don't get a lot of mail delivered anyway..

But what about elderly or physically handicapped people?

Anonymous

Selling state owned firms provides one-off cash. If a state-owned company is making money whey get offload it? Via Rail, doesn't make sense to keep. I don't think they make money in the Quebec city to Windsor corridor. Heading West, the trains are pure money wasters.

Obvious Li

the state should not be in the business of business...it should focus on issues of national security not television or mail delivery..etc...............

Anonymous

Quote from: "Obvious Li"the state should not be in the business of business...it should focus on issues of national security not television or mail delivery..etc...............

The choir all said in unison...[size=200]AMEN!!![/size]