Replies: 10406
Total votes: : 4

Last post: September 21, 2024, 09:47:30 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Herman

A

Leftists Have Almost Exterminated Fiscal Responsibility

Started by Anonymous, February 05, 2014, 12:39:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 4 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Anonymous

All the hard work of the 90's when even at least one NDP government was more fiscally conservative(responsible) than anything we see today seems in vain. Any talk of cost cutting or not increasing budgets and you are demonized as "radical". Unfortunately, all political parties are playing into this foolish extremism to at least some extent.
QuoteThe goalposts are shifting on how we define "radical." Don't even bother suggesting major savings these days. Heads will explode.

It doesn't bode well for our country's fiscal future that modest measures proposed by the Canadian Taxpayers Federation were met with derision.

On Monday the CTF made its pitch for balancing the Ontario budget. Ideas for savings included: Nixing the Ontario Energy Benefit ($1 billion); ending full-day kindergarten ($1.5 billion); ending corporate welfare "investments" ($2.7 billion); and more.

They conclude by calling on a legislated debt-reduction calendar.

The Toronto Star headline? "Taxpayers group urges radical cuts to eliminate Ontario deficit."

Really? It's a pity the political tone is such that minor savings are considered a plot of arch conservatism.

Especially since some of the ideas come from the Drummond Report commissioned by the governing Liberals.

Especially since, in Ontario, interest on debt is the third biggest expense behind health care and education; $10 billion a year just simply vanishes.

How did we get to this point?

Well fiscally that's easy. Paul Martin's final budget in 2005 came with a $482 billion debt. Under Stephen Harper, the debt's grown to just under $620 billion.

When Dalton McGuinty entered office in 2002-2003, Ontario's debt was $133 billion. The projected tally by the end of fiscal 2013-14 is $288 billion. The budget has also doubled in that duration.

The government does a lot of things and gives out a lot of stuff. It gets a lot of love in return for this, so is loathe to pull back.

But how did we get to this point culturally? Where it's acceptable to write a blog like this one posted to Rabble.ca in 2012: "The response to the neoliberal austerity in Canada has been woefully inadequate to the task ... Austerity is now occurring at all levels of government in all regions of the country." Um, no it's not.

Although facts don't stop the author from proclaiming: "If we want to counter the austerity agenda we need to take the fight into the streets."

What agenda? Perhaps he's referring to the fact that one day — but probably not in the upcoming Feb. 11 federal budget announcement — stimulus spending will come to an end.

But this isn't austerity. Stimulus fans forget that even their hero, economist John Maynard Keynes, said you've got to pay down debt when the bad times recede.

Of course these truths don't matter. Conservatives (and liberals) know about this strange cultural shift against all fiscal prudence and so don't propose real reform for fear of voter backlash.

In the 2012 U.S. presidential campaign Mitt Romney correctly stated that "47% of Americans pay no income tax." Hysterical outrage ensued. But instead of standing his ground and turning the moment around in his favour, Romney backed down. He didn't lead. He followed.

In the 2011 Ontario campaign, PC Leader Tim Hudak proposed 2% departmental cuts ... except in health care and education. Which are the two biggest items. Making the cuts meaningless.

"Balancing the budget is not a radical idea," CTF Ontario director Candice Malcolm writes in an e-mail. "Most people would call it common sense. If you can't afford something, don't buy it. That is all we are saying."

A recent poll conducted for CIBC at the end of 2013 showed Canadians' top financial priority for themselves is to lower their debts. Presumably they're aware that government money is their money.

Balance the budget then use the surplus to pay down the debt.

Sadly, in today's political climate, that's a radical proposition.

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2014/02/05/radical-fiscal-responsibility">http://www.edmontonsun.com/2014/02/05/r ... onsibility">http://www.edmontonsun.com/2014/02/05/radical-fiscal-responsibility

Anonymous

Quote from: "Shen Li"All the hard work of the 90's when even at least one NDP government was more fiscally conservative(responsible) than anything we see today seems in vain. Any talk of cost cutting or not increasing budgets and you are demonized as "radical". Unfortunately, all political parties are playing into this foolish extremism to at least some extent.
QuoteThe goalposts are shifting on how we define "radical." Don't even bother suggesting major savings these days. Heads will explode.

It doesn't bode well for our country's fiscal future that modest measures proposed by the Canadian Taxpayers Federation were met with derision.

On Monday the CTF made its pitch for balancing the Ontario budget. Ideas for savings included: Nixing the Ontario Energy Benefit ($1 billion); ending full-day kindergarten ($1.5 billion); ending corporate welfare "investments" ($2.7 billion); and more.

The Toronto Star headline? "Taxpayers group urges radical cuts to eliminate Ontario deficit."

Really? It's a pity the political tone is such that minor savings are considered a plot of arch conservatism.

Especially since some of the ideas come from the Drummond Report commissioned by the governing Liberals.

Especially since, in Ontario, interest on debt is the third biggest expense behind health care and education; $10 billion a year just simply vanishes.

Well fiscally that's easy. Paul Martin's final budget in 2005 came with a $482 billion debt. Under Stephen Harper, the debt's grown to just under $620 billion.

When Dalton McGuinty entered office in 2002-2003, Ontario's debt was $133 billion. The projected tally by the end of fiscal 2013-14 is $288 billion. The budget has also doubled in that duration.

The government does a lot of things and gives out a lot of stuff. It gets a lot of love in return for this, so is loathe to pull back.

But how did we get to this point culturally? Where it's acceptable to write a blog like this one posted to Rabble.ca in 2012: "The response to the neoliberal austerity in Canada has been woefully inadequate to the task ... Austerity is now occurring at all levels of government in all regions of the country." Um, no it's not.

Although facts don't stop the author from proclaiming: "If we want to counter the austerity agenda we need to take the fight into the streets."

What agenda? Perhaps he's referring to the fact that one day — but probably not in the upcoming Feb. 11 federal budget announcement — stimulus spending will come to an end.

But this isn't austerity. Stimulus fans forget that even their hero, economist John Maynard Keynes, said you've got to pay down debt when the bad times recede.

Of course these truths don't matter. Conservatives (and liberals) know about this strange cultural shift against all fiscal prudence and so don't propose real reform for fear of voter backlash.

In the 2012 U.S. presidential campaign Mitt Romney correctly stated that "47% of Americans pay no income tax." Hysterical outrage ensued. But instead of standing his ground and turning the moment around in his favour, Romney backed down. He didn't lead. He followed.

In the 2011 Ontario campaign, PC Leader Tim Hudak proposed 2% departmental cuts ... except in health care and education. Which are the two biggest items. Making the cuts meaningless.

"Balancing the budget is not a radical idea," CTF Ontario director Candice Malcolm writes in an e-mail. "Most people would call it common sense. If you can't afford something, don't buy it. That is all we are saying."

A recent poll conducted for CIBC at the end of 2013 showed Canadians' top financial priority for themselves is to lower their debts. Presumably they're aware that government money is their money.

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2014/02/05/radical-fiscal-responsibility">http://www.edmontonsun.com/2014/02/05/r ... onsibility">http://www.edmontonsun.com/2014/02/05/radical-fiscal-responsibility

I don't know anything about any of this, but I do know too many of my girlfriends are not living within their means..

It could be they are influencing our elected officials.

Odinson

I bet Shen Li has a little bit of a "turning 30" crisis this year. :D

Not a perky chick in her 20´s anymore..

Anonymous

Quote from: "Odinson"I bet Shen Li has a little bit of a "turning 30" crisis this year. :D

[size=150]WTF?????[/size]

Odinson

Quote from: "Shen Li"
Quote from: "Odinson"I bet Shen Li has a little bit of a "turning 30" crisis this year. :D

[size=150]WTF?????[/size]

You turn 30 this year. :D

That means you are getting old... Harder and harder to stay fit. No more male attention... Youll become a matriarch.

Odinson

Quote from: "Fashionista"
Quote from: "Shen Li"All the hard work of the 90's when even at least one NDP government was more fiscally conservative(responsible) than anything we see today seems in vain. Any talk of cost cutting or not increasing budgets and you are demonized as "radical". Unfortunately, all political parties are playing into this foolish extremism to at least some extent.

I don't know anything about any of this, but I do know too many of my girlfriends are not living within their means..

It could be they are influencing our elected officials.

Fashie!  :o  :shock:

Anonymous

Quote from: "Odinson"

Hey thanks for hijacking yet another one of my threads with silliness. I really appreciate it. :x

Odinson

Hey thanks for hijacking yet another one of my threads with silliness. I really appreciate it. :x

You see some women "die hard" and make a complete fool of themselves when they are 30-50 years old. My AA friend calls it the middle-age ho-phase. lol

I´ve met a few female job applicants whom do not seem to realize their age and dress up like a teenage girl in heat. When I´m actually smiling, that means I think you are a fool.

I know that "this is the 21st century" but that doesnt mean we are animals... Better to age with grace.

Kinda hard for a female to be a mother and try to look attractive to her husband at the same time.

cc

Hey. Wait a minute. You don't think that Odi could be Joe fucking with us?
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Odinson

Quote from: "cc li tarte"Hey. Wait a minute. You don't think that Odi could be Joe fucking with us?

Didnt you call Joe smart?

Odinson

I´ll post some pics of the mine at the end of this month.

Anonymous

You turn 30 this year. :D

That means you are getting old... Harder and harder to stay fit. No more male attention... Youll become a matriarch.

You see some women "die hard" and make a complete fool of themselves when they are 30-50 years old. My AA friend calls it the middle-age ho-phase. lol

I´ve met a few female job applicants whom do not seem to realize their age and dress up like a teenage girl in heat. When I´m actually smiling, that means I think you are a fool.

I know that "this is the 21st century" but that doesnt mean we are animals... Better to age with grace.

Kinda hard for a female to be a mother and try to look attractive to her husband at the same time.

I am Asian, I am over 30 and I do not dress up like a girl in heat or try to make a fool of myself.

Odinson

Quote from: "Fashionista"

I am Asian, I am over 30 and I do not dress up like a girl in heat or try to make a fool of myself.

Thats because you have grace... Great many do not... Great many make us facepalm ourselves unconcious..

Young boys are not going to develope right if their mother is a well known whore.

These females appear confident but when you poke them a little, the insecurity comes out.

I´ve prompted such outbursts by just not communicating with them.. "You think you are so superior!!" and I didnt even say anything... smh

I dont always act like a caveman. :D

Renee

Quote from: "cc li tarte"Hey. Wait a minute. You don't think that Odi could be Joe fucking with us?

Yeah but it was in comparison to someone dumber than Joe.

If you had an attention span that was longer than that of a fruit fly you would have realized that.
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Frederick Douglass, November 15, 1867.

Odinson

Quote from: "Renee"

Yeah but it was in comparison to someone dumber than Joe.

If you had an attention span that was longer than that of a fruit fly you would have realized that.

Coming from a person who steps into a gas-chamber if there is a "free KFC" sign above entrance.