News:

SMF - Just Installed!

The best topic

Replies: 10413
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 02:03:25 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Lokmar

How many days,weeks, months before a war with Russia happens?

Started by Frood, December 18, 2021, 08:47:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

cc

The EU has earmarked €450 million ($503 million) for lethal arms, which include air-defense systems, anti-tank weapons, ammunition, and other military equipment for Ukraine's armed forces. A further €50 million will be spent on providing non-lethal supplies such as fuel, protective gear, helmets, and first-aid kits.

https://twitter.com/vonderleyen/status/1497972564634882048?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1497972564634882048%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.dw.com%2Fen%2Fwestern-arms-supplies-for-ukraine-how-are-they-getting-there%2Fa-60959864">https://twitter.com/vonderleyen/status/ ... a-60959864">https://twitter.com/vonderleyen/status/1497972564634882048?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1497972564634882048%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.dw.com%2Fen%2Fwestern-arms-supplies-for-ukraine-how-are-they-getting-there%2Fa-60959864
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

cc

https://www.gatestoneinstitute.org/pics/2139.jpg">

https://www.gatestoneinstitute.org/18283/germany-russia-policy">German Chancellor Olaf Scholz has announced a paradigm shift in German defense and energy policies in response to Russia's invasion of Ukraine. He said that Germany will substantially increase defense spending and take immediate measures to reduce its energy dependence on Russia. Pictured: Scholz addresses an extraordinary session of the German parliament, on February 27, 2022. (Photo by Hannibal Hanschke/Getty Images)

German Chancellor Olaf Scholz has announced a paradigm shift in German defense and energy policies in response to Russia's invasion of Ukraine. He said that Germany will substantially increase defense spending and take immediate measures to reduce its energy dependence on Russia.

Scholz has also announced several other important policy reversals: Berlin has halted the controversial Nord Stream 2 pipeline, which would double shipments of Russian natural gas to Germany by transporting the gas under the Baltic Sea; it has agreed to authorize the transfer of weapons to Ukraine; and it has decided to ban Russian banks from the SWIFT international payment system.

The measures represent a complete reversal of Germany's post-Cold War Russia policy — which focused on pursuing economic ties rather than confronting Moscow — and mark a definitive end to the era of former Chancellor Angela Merkel.

During an extraordinary session of the Bundestag, the German parliament, on February 27, Scholz said that Russia's aggression against Ukraine marks a turning point in European history:

Anonymous

Would the world try and make the people of China suffer under economic sanctions if China invaded Taiwan..

I know people will say that Taiwan used to be part of China at one time, but Ukraine and Russia used to be one too.

cc

Quote from: Fashionista post_id=442144 time=1646263406 user_id=3254
Would the world try and make the people of China suffer under economic sanctions if China invaded Taiwan..

I know people will say that Taiwan used to be part of China at one time, but Ukraine and Russia used to be one too.

Good question .. & I totally agree with your analogy

I hope we do not reach a point where we will find out the answer to your question

Anonymous

Quote from: cc post_id=442147 time=1646264478 user_id=88

Good question .. & I totally agree with your analogy

I hope we do not reach a point where we will find out the answer to your question

Make that two of us ceec.

Bricktop

As many commentators have said, Putin's madness has changed the world forever.  What is has demonstrated is that stopping dictators who possess a massive nuclear arsenal is no longer feasible.

NATO did not hold back because of their relative military capability. They outgun Russia by a large factor.

They held back because they believe Putin is just mad enough to pull the nuclear trigger.

Everything changes, and Germany's realisation that it has to relinquish its post WW2 guilt and build a tangible military is just a beginning.

Japan has already begun to develop a first strike capable military force to deal with North Korea, abandoning its "pacifist" post WW2 constituional commitment to only develop a defensive military.

Other European nations will need to urgently invest in defence to protect against a Russian lunatic. The UK and France will need to modernise their nuclear forces, as faith in a crumbling, dysfunctional America wanes.

Anonymous

Quote from: Bricktop post_id=442161 time=1646273827 user_id=1560

As many commentators have said, Putin's madness has changed the world forever.  What is has demonstrated is that stopping dictators who possess a massive nuclear arsenal is no longer feasible.

NATO did not hold back because of their relative military capability. They outgun Russia by a large factor.

They held back because they believe Putin is just mad enough to pull the nuclear trigger.

Everything changes, and Germany's realisation that it has to relinquish its post WW2 guilt and build a tangible military is just a beginning.

Japan has already begun to develop a first strike capable military force to deal with North Korea, abandoning its "pacifist" post WW2 constituional commitment to only develop a defensive military.

Other European nations will need to urgently invest in defence to protect against a Russian lunatic. The UK and France will need to modernise their nuclear forces, as faith in a crumbling, dysfunctional America wanes.

Russia's economy is smaller than Canada's..

Which country would dare hit China with economic sanctions if they invaded Taiwan when they can and will retaliate ten fold against mostly Western countries.

Frood

That madness hasn't been coming from Russia....
Blahhhhhh...

Anonymous

As far as sanctions goes, Canada's number one export industry has and still does face more of a restrictive economic streaitjacket than Russia's number one export industry. And we haven't invaded a sovereign nation.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Shen Li" post_id=442181 time=1646276860 user_id=56
As far as sanctions goes, Canada's number one export industry has and still does face more of a restrictive economic streaitjacket than Russia's number one export industry. And we haven't invaded a sovereign nation.

I hadn't thought about it, but that is a good comparison. Russia is getting a taste of the living standards lowering divest from Canadian oil and gas that we have had twenty years experience with.

Anonymous

As B.C. Premier John Horgan wrote in a statement announcing the withdrawal of Russian products from B.C. Liquor Stores, "we stand with those who want to live in peace. There's just a few problems with the gesture  The products are already paid for.

Liquor stores don't work on consignment, so any Russian products already in Canadian liquor warehouses have already resulted in money being sent to Russia. This means that the most immediate result of the policy will be a bunch of paid-for booze being poured down the drain.

Canadian liquor stores don't actually carry a lot of Russian products. Stolichnaya is Latvian, Absolut is Swedish and Smirnoff (the world's best-selling vodka) is British-owned and manufactured virtually everywhere except Russia. This is why, in Ontario, the ban on Russian products will apply only to two niche vodka labels and one brand of Russian beer.

"And most importantly, vodka is a microscopic component of a Russian economy that actually runs largely on oil and gas – commodities that have remained conspicuously untouched even as the world assails Moscow with punitive sanctions.

Odinson

Our dependancy on non-european countries should stop.

Bricktop

Quote from: "Dinky Dazza" post_id=442180 time=1646276515 user_id=1676

That madness hasn't been coming from Russia....

Agreed.

Not solely.

Frood

It's like watching a pack of students encircle a kid on the playground while taunting and trying to push a reaction.

When the kid starts throwing punches or merely slaps, the students point the finger at him and say "see!!!!!!" then demand his expulsion.
Blahhhhhh...

Anonymous

Quote from: Odinson post_id=442220 time=1646290229 user_id=136
Our dependancy on non-european countries should stop.

I wish we could sell our LNG and oil to Europe.