The best topic

Replies: 10399
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 03:39:45 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Biggie Smiles

Question for the Chinese People

Started by RW, February 25, 2014, 08:00:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 4 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Anonymous

I don't associate with drug dealing thugs. Where the fuck is Oak getting this idea we are all gangsters? Methinks, shitty Hollywood movies.

QuoteMisconceptions about Chinese tongs (driven in large part by Hollywood and the Asian movie industry) in which tongs and triads are interchangeable, its members evil and endowed with special powers, [1] are widespread but largely inaccurate.

Modern western tongs originated in the Chinese immigrant communities of nineteenth century America (i.e., San Francisco 1874 and New York 1880) to protect merchants from brutal treatment by the non-Chinese majority, and though similar are distinct in nature to organizations such as the Hongmen [2] and triad societies [3] descended from the Tiandihui a fraternal secret society established to overthrow China's last ruling dynasty the Qing (Manchu).

As the Chinese population grew so did the power of the tongs, protection becoming a commodity now sold along with drugs, especially opium. Gambling dens, prostitution and other illegal activities became the order of the day, with various tongs battling for ascendancy, territory and profit. These tong wars lasted from the late 1800s to the Roaring Twenties, the violence increasing in intensity until an exhausted populace finally cried enough.

Violent crime by organised gangs of all ethnic persuasions declined dramatically during the 1930s due to government crackdowns and the realization of those involved that putting their ill gotten gains into legitimate business could prove extremely profitable (the Mafia in Las Vegas, the tongs in various Chinatowns). The ease with which people could now travel made tourism and the legitimate removal of said tourist's money extremely lucrative but demanded an end to open bloodshed and hostility.  

Tongs today seem as diverse in their activities as other organizations, some involved in crime, some involved in legitimate business, while still others are well known charitable institutions.

[1] The Boxer Tong "I Ho Chuan" circa 1900 did believe that by engaging in certain secret rituals they could be rendered invulnerable to the weapons of foreigners.

[2] Hongmen today are a grouping whose concept basically mirrors Tiandihui. It was declared illegal in Hong Kong by the British, who perceived all Chinese secret societies (rightly or wrongly) as a threat to law and order, while in Taiwan it is not only legal but also politically influential; Chiang Kai Shek and Dr. Sun Yat-Sen were both members. In the West it is sometimes referred to as the "Chinese Freemasons" because of various outward similarities such as the use of esoteric symbolism, along with secret Rites and ceremonies.  

[3] Triads (the name was coined by the old British colonial administration of Hong Kong) are underground organizations based mainly in Hong Kong, Taiwan, Macau and worldwide in areas with large Chinese populations. Originally a patriotic society (the Hung) they turned to crime following the overthrow of the Qing Dynasty and the abrupt removal of their "raison d'etre." They are still engaged in various illegal operations such as gambling, prostitution and drug trafficking.

http://www.factfictionandconjecture.ca/files/chinese_tongs.html">http://www.factfictionandconjecture.ca/ ... tongs.html">http://www.factfictionandconjecture.ca/files/chinese_tongs.html

Odinson

Renee

Quote from: "Shen Li"I don't associate with drug dealing thugs. Where the fuck is Oak getting this idea we are all gangsters? Methinks, shitty Hollywood movies.

QuoteMisconceptions about Chinese tongs (driven in large part by Hollywood and the Asian movie industry) in which tongs and triads are interchangeable, its members evil and endowed with special powers, [1] are widespread but largely inaccurate.

Modern western tongs originated in the Chinese immigrant communities of nineteenth century America (i.e., San Francisco 1874 and New York 1880) to protect merchants from brutal treatment by the non-Chinese majority, and though similar are distinct in nature to organizations such as the Hongmen [2] and triad societies [3] descended from the Tiandihui a fraternal secret society established to overthrow China's last ruling dynasty the Qing (Manchu).

As the Chinese population grew so did the power of the tongs, protection becoming a commodity now sold along with drugs, especially opium. Gambling dens, prostitution and other illegal activities became the order of the day, with various tongs battling for ascendancy, territory and profit. These tong wars lasted from the late 1800s to the Roaring Twenties, the violence increasing in intensity until an exhausted populace finally cried enough.

Violent crime by organised gangs of all ethnic persuasions declined dramatically during the 1930s due to government crackdowns and the realization of those involved that putting their ill gotten gains into legitimate business could prove extremely profitable (the Mafia in Las Vegas, the tongs in various Chinatowns). The ease with which people could now travel made tourism and the legitimate removal of said tourist's money extremely lucrative but demanded an end to open bloodshed and hostility.  

Tongs today seem as diverse in their activities as other organizations, some involved in crime, some involved in legitimate business, while still others are well known charitable institutions.

[1] The Boxer Tong "I Ho Chuan" circa 1900 did believe that by engaging in certain secret rituals they could be rendered invulnerable to the weapons of foreigners.

[2] Hongmen today are a grouping whose concept basically mirrors Tiandihui. It was declared illegal in Hong Kong by the British, who perceived all Chinese secret societies (rightly or wrongly) as a threat to law and order, while in Taiwan it is not only legal but also politically influential; Chiang Kai Shek and Dr. Sun Yat-Sen were both members. In the West it is sometimes referred to as the "Chinese Freemasons" because of various outward similarities such as the use of esoteric symbolism, along with secret Rites and ceremonies.  

[3] Triads (the name was coined by the old British colonial administration of Hong Kong) are underground organizations based mainly in Hong Kong, Taiwan, Macau and worldwide in areas with large Chinese populations. Originally a patriotic society (the Hung) they turned to crime following the overthrow of the Qing Dynasty and the abrupt removal of their "raison d'etre." They are still engaged in various illegal operations such as gambling, prostitution and drug trafficking.

http://www.factfictionandconjecture.ca/files/chinese_tongs.html">http://www.factfictionandconjecture.ca/ ... tongs.html">http://www.factfictionandconjecture.ca/files/chinese_tongs.html

And they will all eat your dog when you aren't looking.  :lol:
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Frederick Douglass, November 15, 1867.

Big Wave Dave

Quote from: "Real Woman"I don't know if I asked this before or not, but I'm wondering how you feel about corn fed whities doing Chinese accents or impressions?  Do you find it offensive?

I go back and forth to Vancouver a lot and after living in the boonies for a while where this are very few Chinese people, I really notice the accents.  I love the way the Chinese people I interact with say things so when I come home, I reiterate things they've said with the accent (or my lame ass attempt at it).  I might add a joke in there about buying a Gucci knock off at the Richmond Night Market or something as well because it's funny and I like to make people laugh.

I just want to know if I am being offensive because that's not what I am going for at all.

If it's a white guy talking to a cute little babe it's all good. Take that cute little Fashionista, she would worship me like a white god. I could be as offensive as I wanted with the Asian accents, give her a pat on her cutle little rump and it's all good. White woman talking to Asian men or women can't get away with that.

Romero

Quote from: "Shen Li"I don't associate with drug dealing thugs. Where the fuck is Oak getting this idea we are all gangsters? Methinks, shitty Hollywood movies.

Quote[3] descended from the Tiandihui a fraternal secret society established to overthrow China's last ruling dynasty the Qing (Manchu).

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

You have no idea what you have done!

Anonymous

Quote from: "Romero"

Quote[3] descended from the Tiandihui a fraternal secret society established to overthrow China's last ruling dynasty the Qing (Manchu).

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

You have no idea what you have done!

Personally, I think he has a vivid imagination as well as a glass jaw.

Odinson

If you are a owner of several strip-clubs, deal drugs, guns and have some goons at your service... Does that make one a mafia boss?

Organized crime.

keeper

I take offense to it, stop doing that its rude.

Fucking white people i tell you.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Keeper"I take offense to it, stop doing that its rude.

Hello Keeper, so nice to see you here..

Do you mean you take offense to what Gary Oak wrote as Romero and I do?

Anonymous

I know eh Keeps. I only tolerate caucasians because you people bake a damned fine banana bread. :lol:

Big Wave Dave

Northern Chinese women are gorgeous. I have fucked a few hottie Northern Chinese. Shen Li has a poor attitude like a white broad.

Odinson

Quote from: "Big Wave Dave"Northern Chinese women are gorgeous. I have fucked a few hottie Northern Chinese. Shen Li has a poor attitude like a white broad.

Real stud...

keeper

Quote from: "Fashionista"

Hello Keeper, so nice to see you here..

Do you mean you take offense to what Gary Oak wrote as Romero and I do?

Honestly Fash i was having fun with RW doing the Asian mimic, I dont really mind if people make fun of others as long as it dont go to far. As for Gary, i dont read what he says or anyone like him that have so much negativity towards people... one word sums up his attitude..  KARMA

have a great day peoples

keeper

Quote from: "Shen Li"

I know eh Keeps. I only tolerate caucasians because you people bake a damned fine banana bread. :lol:

mmmmm NANA bread, im drooling. lol @ you people....your such an iron chick. lol

Anonymous

Quote from: "Keeper"
Quote from: "Shen Li"

mmmmm NANA bread, im drooling. lol @ you people....your such an iron chick. lol

Hello Keeper, so nice to see you here tonight..

I am glad you and Shen Li can joke without either of you being offended.

:)