The best topic

Replies: 10406
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 09:47:30 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Herman

Union scum....

Started by Obvious Li, March 07, 2014, 07:12:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 3 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

RW

Let's cut the crap mmmkay Mr Mundaaay.  You ARE slagging unions, specifically teachers, not a system.

First I want to address your corporal punishment high school days.  Why didn't you see kids diagnosed with ADD or ADHD?  Because it wasn't a defined disorder in your day.  People have been exhibiting such behaviour for hundreds of years, they just didn't have a label or comprehensive treatment for it.  Now you know.  Also, in your day, kids who did poorly in school dropped out and got jobs (ever notice it was mostly boys?).  My generation didn't have that luxury - almost every employer demanded a high school diploma or at least enrolment towards one.  I should also note that today's generation has a far greater literacy rate than your or even my generation did.  Through (costly) technology, kids these days have at their fingertips what we'd spend hours searching for in a library.  

I understand you seemingly want to live in the past, but the sit down, shut up and learn model is long since gone.  Why?  Because it was fail.

We have classes full of children with disabilities and dis functions is because it's cheaper.  They used to have dedicated classes and teachers but some psychology pin head deemed integration better that the system saw an opportunity to save a buck.

Before I go on, Munday, I'm assuming you don't have kidsz. Am I right?
Beware of Gaslighters!

Obvious Li

Quote from: "Real Woman"Let's cut the crap mmmkay Mr Mundaaay.  You ARE slagging unions, specifically teachers, not a system.

First I want to address your corporal punishment high school days.  Why didn't you see kids diagnosed with ADD or ADHD?  Because it wasn't a defined disorder in your day.  People have been exhibiting such behaviour for hundreds of years, they just didn't have a label or comprehensive treatment for it.  Now you know.  Also, in your day, kids who did poorly in school dropped out and got jobs (ever notice it was mostly boys?).  My generation didn't have that luxury - almost every employer demanded a high school diploma or at least enrolment towards one.  I should also note that today's generation has a far greater literacy rate than your or even my generation did.  Through (costly) technology, kids these days have at their fingertips what we'd spend hours searching for in a library.  

I understand you seemingly want to live in the past, but the sit down, shut up and learn model is long since gone.  Why?  Because it was fail.

We have classes full of children with disabilities and dis functions is because it's cheaper.  They used to have dedicated classes and teachers but some psychology pin head deemed integration better that the system saw an opportunity to save a buck.

Before I go on, Munday, I'm assuming you don't have kidsz. Am I right?

i will read with interest your comments but as i said we will never agree..i am slagging the system and those that are responsible for the system in its current state..that being the teachers unions and their leaders and members.....there is zero chance you could convince anyone who was educated under the old system that todays grads are, as you say "more literate'..we would find that comment rather silly.....for someone to make that statement about a group of graduates who cannot find the pacific ocean on a map says a lot more about your objectivity than mine.... as to your other question

i have six kids.....four of my own and two step kids....three boys and three girls....all are very successful...thanks for asking

Anonymous

Quote from: "Odinson"The teachers get crappy pay but then again their job isnt that hard.

The teachers at my children's school seems fair, but I do not know how it compares to the public school system..

What I do know is that they are all qualified to teach in the public school system..

My brother and I went to a private Christian school for almost our entire school lives, so we cannot compare.

RW

Pardon me Munday.  You talked about your days and not witnessing issues in your kids so I assumed you didn't have any.  

As a whole, according to stats, kids these days can read at a higher percentage than back in my day or yours.  And just curious - have you recently asked a current high schooler to point out the Pacific Ocean and he/she failed?

I know we will disagree on this debate because you are basing your argument on ignorance and speculation.  I know you are a write off because you're stubborn but I prefer to give others an informed side to chew on.  A side that involves chronic government underfunding placing a much higher burden on teachers who aren't a bunch of child hostage holding scum.
Beware of Gaslighters!

RW

Quote from: "Fashionista"
Quote from: "Odinson"The teachers get crappy pay but then again their job isnt that hard.

The teachers at my children's school seems fair, but I do not know how it compares to the public school system..

What I do know is that they are all qualified to teach in the public school system..

My brother and I went to a private Christian school for almost our entire school lives, so we cannot compare.

I went to private Catholic School for a stint and benefited greatly from smaller class sizes, hanging out with students of similar economic means and not having to accommodate any student with special needs.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Obvious Li

Quote from: "Real Woman"Pardon me Munday.  You talked about your days and not witnessing issues in your kids so I assumed you didn't have any.  

As a whole, according to stats, kids these days can read at a higher percentage than back in my day or yours.  And just curious - have you recently asked a current high schooler to point out the Pacific Ocean and he/she failed?

I know we will disagree on this debate because you are basing your argument on ignorance and speculation.  I know you are a write off because you're stubborn but I prefer to give others an informed side to chew on.  A side that involves chronic government underfunding placing a much higher burden on teachers who aren't a bunch of child hostage holding scum.

sorry toots..i base ALL my arguments totally on facts and experience.....being stubborn is easy when the facts are on your side and i only speculate when the odds are skewed sharply in my favor...to do otherwise would be cowardly......i will let a million other studies speak to the inabilities of the huge percentage of today's grads who cannot find an ocean, a country, a continent, their province..who cannot name their capital city, prime minister, premier etc etc.....the percentages are high and growing....now with the new math they can no longer add or subtract so i rest my case knowing as always i am right and the facts support my position....i will admit grads from private or charter schools do much better but that is mostly because unions don't  have the sway there....so keep on keeping on with your head in the sand...people like me will always need fast food workers and manual laborers to do the shit work...so truth be told we need about 40% of the kids to graduate stupid to keep minimum wages low. So  i guess in one sense the system is working.

i should add that the vast majority of the kids i am talking about are white...the parents of yellow and brown first and second generation kids value an education and generally demand excellence from their kids....they provide studies outside of the regular "play school" and insist their children study and apply themselves..totally opposite from native born children

Obvious Li

Quote from: "Real Woman"Pardon me Munday.  You talked about your days and not witnessing issues in your kids so I assumed you didn't have any.  

i was about to move on when i re-read your post and could not let this horseshit comment about "chronic government underfunding" pass by without challenge......as we are comparing time let's talk about funding.....i read this somewhere way back when but can't recall where..so you can challenge it if you wish but i suspect it is 100% accurate.....it should be fairly easy to confirm providing you don't fudge the stats.

"back in the day"  80% of educational funding was spent in the classroom and 20% was spent on teachers salaries, admin etc.........today those figures are exactly reversed... 80% is spent on teachers salaries, pensions, admin, staff etc and 20% is spent on the kids and classrooms......there is no underfunding...it is simply a matter of most of the money being sucked up by greedy union workers, admin etc. and not enough being allocated to the students in the classroom......stop being a fucking bolshevik and start think about the kids for a change

Anonymous

Quote from: "Obvious Li"

i was about to move on when i re-read your post and could not let this horseshit comment about "chronic government underfunding" pass by without challenge......as we are comparing time let's talk about funding.....i read this somewhere way back when but can't recall where..so you can challenge it if you wish but i suspect it is 100% accurate.....it should be fairly easy to confirm providing you don't fudge the stats.

"back in the day"  80% of educational funding was spent in the classroom and 20% was spent on teachers salaries, admin etc.........today those figures are exactly reversed... 80% is spent on teachers salaries, pensions, admin, staff etc and 20% is spent on the kids and classrooms......there is no underfunding...it is simply a matter of most of the money being sucked up by greedy union workers, admin etc. and not enough being allocated to the students in the classroom......stop being a fucking bolshevik and start think about the kids for a change

The teachers in my children's school make a little less than their peers in the public school system in terms of benefits as well..

But, none of them want to work in the public school system again..

We must be doing something right..

Parents also know to the last dollar how our tuition fees are spent.

Green_Hornet

Quote from: "Fashionista"I don't know the issues here, so I will reserve comment..

But, I will say that I would never send my children to the public school system.

Funny that the Catholic Private Schools in Calgary don't have any Advance Placement Course or have dropped the Advance Placement Courses.

I guess Fashionista, you are not interested in saving money for advanced education in the future.

The Vancouver School Public School still offer Advance Placement Courses and exams to get a jump in University.

https://www.vsb.bc.ca/apexams">https://www.vsb.bc.ca/apexams

Advanced_Placement

The Advanced Placement (AP) is a program in the United States and Canada created by the College Board offering college-level curriculum and examinations to high school students. American colleges often grant placement and course credit to students who obtain high scores above a certain number on the examinations.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Placement">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Placement

BTW Have you seen your RESP investments lately?  If you have, the RESP that have a portion exposed to the stock market have recently done very well.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Green_Hornet"
Quote from: "Fashionista"I don't know the issues here, so I will reserve comment..

But, I will say that I would never send my children to the public school system.

Funny that the Catholic Private Schools in Calgary don't have any Advance Placement Course or have dropped the Advance Placement Courses.

I guess Fashionista, you are not interested in saving money for advanced education in the future.

The Vancouver School Public School still offer Advance Placement Courses and exams to get a jump in University.

Advanced_Placement

The Advanced Placement (AP) is a program in the United States and Canada created by the College Board offering college-level curriculum and examinations to high school students. American colleges often grant placement and course credit to students who obtain high scores above a certain number on the examinations.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Placement">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Placement

BTW Have you seen your RESP investments lately?  If you have, the RESP that have a portion exposed to the stock market have recently done very well.

Hello Green_Hornet, thank you for your concern in my children's education..

But I should tell you I am not Catholic and my children do not attend a Catholic school..

I don't know why you would assume that?

:?

RW

sorry toots..i base ALL my arguments totally on facts and experience.....being stubborn is easy when the facts are on your side and i only speculate when the odds are skewed sharply in my favor...to do otherwise would be cowardly......i will let a million other studies speak to the inabilities of the huge percentage of today's grads who cannot find an ocean, a country, a continent, their province..who cannot name their capital city, prime minister, premier etc etc.....the percentages are high and growing....now with the new math they can no longer add or subtract so i rest my case knowing as always i am right and the facts support my position....i will admit grads from private or charter schools do much better but that is mostly because unions don't  have the sway there....so keep on keeping on with your head in the sand...people like me will always need fast food workers and manual laborers to do the shit work...so truth be told we need about 40% of the kids to graduate stupid to keep minimum wages low. So  i guess in one sense the system is working.

i should add that the vast majority of the kids i am talking about are white...the parents of yellow and brown first and second generation kids value an education and generally demand excellence from their kids....they provide studies outside of the regular "play school" and insist their children study and apply themselves..totally opposite from native born children

I'm not seeing a lot of facts being presented on your end Munday and even less support of what you are claiming to be truth.

So a HUGE percentage of our grads can't find an ocean, a country, a continent, their province, a capital city or a prime minister or premier?    My 9 year old knows all of those things because he has learned them in school already.  So really, let's stick with reality rather than hyperbole please.  

Graduates do much better (whatever the hell that means) because they come from affluent and educated families (a determining factor in education success BTW), have smaller class sizes (what public sector teachers would like), and more freedom with curriculum.  Remember Munday, I went to both public and private school so I have actual first hand experience with both systems.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Gary Oak

Quote from: "Green_Hornet"

Advanced_Placement

STFU Ho, what do you care anyway. You have to have sex in order to have kids. You still think the stork brings them.

RW

Okay, let's PRETEND your 20% in salaries then to 80% in salaries now is accurate.  That comment supports my claims to chronic underfunding.  What has happened to budgets that has made such a DRASTIC change in allotment.  Teacher salaries and benefits haven't gone up by THAT much not to mention there used to be WAY more teachers back in your day and mine.  Again, you've lost sight of reality.  With that said, if money is going into teachers, it is going into the classroom because that's the person who is standing in front of it.  DERP.

In terms of budgets, 80% going to staffing isn't exactly accurate.  You could make the claim that staffing makes up 80% of an operations budget but that still doesn't account for the millions in capital budgets that aren't touched by salaries.

There is underfunding within the system - terribly so.  Our Ministry of Education has off loaded significant costs onto districts and hasn't providing the funding to cover those costs - costs like carbon tax (what a load of bullshit), insurance premiums, full day kindergarten, technology based curriculum implementation, etc.

In terms of thinking about the kids, the teachers and their respective unions are the LOUDEST when  it comes to demanding changes to the benefit of students whether it be for resources, smaller classes, more support for those with learning issues, etc.  And those are the people you want to sit down and shut up?  Really?
Beware of Gaslighters!

RW

Quote from: "Gary Oak"STFU Ho, what do you care anyway. You have to have sex in order to have kids. You still think the stork brings them.

Do you have kids Gary?
Beware of Gaslighters!

RW

Quote from: "Green_Hornet"Funny that the Catholic Private Schools in Calgary don't have any Advance Placement Course or have dropped the Advance Placement Courses.

That's not true Green.  Bishop Carroll High School, Bishop McNally High School, Bishop O'Byrne High School and St. Francis High School all offer Advance Placement courses.

http://apcanada.collegeboard.org/participating-schools">http://apcanada.collegeboard.org/participating-schools
Beware of Gaslighters!