Replies: 7502
Total votes: : 3

Last post: Today at 12:54:36 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Shen Li

Cool and interesting stuff about where you live

Started by Dove, August 19, 2022, 09:58:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dove

Obviously only for those of you willing to discuss cool and interesting things about where you live....if you feel some kinda way about people being able to know your state or region that's okay feel free to scroll.

I live in Michigan and I've really only talked about metro Detriot and the Motown history here but my favorite topic (well one of my favorite topics) about my home state is ship wrecks.

My fear about the water is directly because of the Great Lakes. I love the water......but I have a good fear of the water. Our lakes here are not just regular lakes. They are called the GREAT lakes for a reason. And they are beautiful and overwhelming and also testy and temperamental. And we have had some 6k shipwrecks in our lakes. There is A LOT of culture, and stories and superstitions about the lakes and sailing. The stories are endless.  Old men here have the BEST stories about the lakes. Everything from unknown creatures to ghosts to entire ghost ship stories.

One of my favorites (i understand it's sad and serious and I have deep respect for them) is the Kamloops wreck. What makes Lake Superior (which I just brought up lol) so creepy is....like at least 600 of our wrecks happened in Superior and it's a grave yard for like 10k people. And Superior is known as the lake that "doesnt give up her dead".  Since it's so cold down there, bodies do not "bloat and float". No bacteria down there to get into the bodies and cause gasses and decomp. So we have a bunch of preserved corpses who havent fully decomposed at all down on the bottom of the lake. I used to have nightmares as a child of frozen dead people grabbing at my feet in the lakes lol. They are not mummy level preserved like I used to think as a child. My child mind imagined just frozen people. They do fall apart after a while, they just dont rot like they would normally.

The Kamloops wreck has a corpse of a crew member (no one knows exactly who) who is very well preserved (for being down there since 1920 something) and floating in the ship. He is called "Captain Whitey"(because the body fat oozes out onto the skin and gets cold and turns white....gross isn't it?).  Divers have said he follows them and locals say he haunts that area and even parts of Isle Royale.  I've never been to Isle Royale but I really wanna go and start visiting all the places here I HAVENT been to yet. Isle Royale is absolutely the first on my list.

Most people really only know about the Edmond Fitzgerald wreck in Superior(that's in Canadian waters, the areas around lake superior are all shared with other states and Canada, but Isle Royale belongs to Michigan) But there have been many.  Shipwrecks really interest me. They are just fascinating and creepy and the way Superior preserves everything is amazing. All of the 29 crew members who died when Fitzgerald sank are still down there to this day(as the families even wish).

Here is a video about Kamploops wreck...mostly just footage of the wreck. This diver stayed out of the engine room so Captain Whitey isn't shown here....people are pretty divided on photographs of him and divers going down there since it IS a grave. It was a thing for divers to shake his hand.....which I do find pretty distasteful. Pictures though I think are perfectly fine. It's a grave but it's also history.

">

Here is Whitey

https://i.ibb.co/HHTtvyY/20220819-214134.jpg">

I have heard so many stories about people who dove down there (it's illegal to do so, only certain divers are allowed for approved reasons.....but you know how curious people do what they want) and claim they saw bodies of previous divers down there in the wreck. And people who swear Whitey followed them, popped up in front of them, so on.

On clear days in Superior, you can look down in the water and see ship wreck remains right from a boat. It's really cool.

Also the lakes are UFO spots where TONS of people claimed to have seen UFOs above the lakes.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2019/03/07/lake-michigan-ufo-sightings/3078683002/">https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/ ... 078683002/">https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2019/03/07/lake-michigan-ufo-sightings/3078683002/

https://nypost.com/video/unexplainable-ufo-sighting-leaves-stargazers-in-awe/amp/">https://nypost.com/video/unexplainable- ... n-awe/amp/">https://nypost.com/video/unexplainable-ufo-sighting-leaves-stargazers-in-awe/amp/

So what do you guys find really interesting about your home states (or regions)?
My happiness is all of your misery. I put good dick all in my kidneys.

Anonymous

Good thread. I was born and raised in Saskatchewan to immigrant parents. I do not feel like looking up facts about this province.

Dove

We also have a Big Foot thing up in the UP lol.  Some people used pasties(meat pies) to lure a big foot LOL.

">

Not that I'm into big foot. I'm more interested in the skin walkers lol.

Dove

Quote from: Herman post_id=471894 time=1660961691 user_id=1689
Good thread. I was born and raised in Saskatchewan to immigrant parents. I do not feel like looking up facts about this province.

No no not stuff you need to look up. Something you already know about and love about Saskatchewan.  What makes it interesting or special to YOU. Not in general....just to you personally.

Anonymous

Quote from: Dove post_id=471897 time=1660962016 user_id=3266
Quote from: Herman post_id=471894 time=1660961691 user_id=1689

No no not stuff you need to look up. Something you already know about and love about Saskatchewan.  What makes it interesting or special to YOU. Not in general....just to you personally.

I had a speaking Sakatchewanese thread.  Here are a few words:

Words that you will only hear in this province.

Pil: Definition: The version of Saskatchewan's pride and joy, Pilsner.

Bunny Hug: Definition: Another word for the sweater known as a hoodie.

Dinner: is lunch

ODR: Definition: An acronym for Outdoor Rink.

The Craven: Definition: Annual three day long country music festival held North of Regina in the town of Craven.

Anonymous

Farmaggedon: Definition: The term coined for Regina's annual Farm Progress Show.

Derz: Definition: A term used to say the Rough Riders in a mocking way.

Sparkle Balls: Definition: The cult classic earring designed by Hillberg & Berk. Every girl in Saskatchewan owns at least five pairs.

Anonymous

One of the unique UNESCO Sites in Alberta is the Head-Smashed-In Buffalo Jump..

Located near Fort Macleod, Head-Smashed-In Buffalo Jump was established in 1981..

It is one of the oldest buffalo jumps, where Indigenous peoples drove buffalo over a cliff to use them as food and other resources such as clothes, tipis, and more.

Alberta is also home to the town of Vulcan.......Canada's Star Trek capital.

Anonymous

This is a very cool and interesting thread Dove.

Dove

Quote from: Herman post_id=471898 time=1660962365 user_id=1689
Quote from: Dove post_id=471897 time=1660962016 user_id=3266

I had a speaking Sakatchewanese thread.  Here are a few words:

Words that you will only hear in this province.

Pil: Definition: The version of Saskatchewan's pride and joy, Pilsner.

Bunny Hug: Definition: Another word for the sweater known as a hoodie.

Dinner: is lunch

ODR: Definition: An acronym for Outdoor Rink.

The Craven: Definition: Annual three day long country music festival held North of Regina in the town of Craven.

Ha! I'm gonna start calling my hoodies "bunny hugs" lol.

I like the word "Saskatchewan". Its a fun word to say :D

It's really beautiful up there

">

Dove

Quote from: Fashionista post_id=471913 time=1660965142 user_id=3254
One of the unique UNESCO Sites in Alberta is the Head-Smashed-In Buffalo Jump..

Located near Fort Macleod, Head-Smashed-In Buffalo Jump was established in 1981..

It is one of the oldest buffalo jumps, where Indigenous peoples drove buffalo over a cliff to use them as food and other resources such as clothes, tipis, and more.

Alberta is also home to the town of Vulcan.......Canada's Star Trek capital.

That is pretty interesting

">

Again it's very beautiful up there. So much nature ♡

Anonymous

We took our children to Head Smahed-In Buffalo Jump when they were little..

It's an interesting site.

Anonymous

Another good thread Dove. I live in Barrie, Ontario Canada.  I grew up in the Willowdale area of Toronto.

Dove

Quote from: seoulbro post_id=471943 time=1660996259 user_id=114
Another good thread Dove. I live in Barrie, Ontario Canada.  I grew up in the Willowdale area of Toronto.

What do you find cool about Willowdale? Or Barrie?

Anonymous

Quote from: Dove post_id=471955 time=1660999141 user_id=3266
Quote from: seoulbro post_id=471943 time=1660996259 user_id=114

What do you find cool about Willowdale? Or Barrie?

Willowdale- the diversity. Food, language, and customs from evetry corner of the globe.

Barrie- I own a condo on Lake Simcoe. Also quick access to the beautiful Muskoka region.