Replies: 10406
Total votes: : 4

Last post: September 21, 2024, 09:47:30 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Herman

I can’t say I wouldn’t do the same…

Started by Erica Mena, October 12, 2022, 07:27:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Erica Mena

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-11308043/Unassuming-lab-Arizona-bodies-patients-young-two-cryogenically-frozen.html">https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/arti ... rozen.html">https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-11308043/Unassuming-lab-Arizona-bodies-patients-young-two-cryogenically-frozen.html

om the outside, the Alcor Life Extension Foundation in Arizona looks like any other warehouse.

But inside it contains the frozen dead bodies of hundreds of patients who hedged their bets on future technology being able to bring them back to life.

For $200,000 people can get their whole body stored in a high-tech freezer,  but there is an option to put just the brain on ice for discounted price of $80,000.

So far 199 deceased remains are stored there, kept fresh thanks to liquid nitrogen keeping the bodies at negative-135 degrees C - a temperature so cold it stops all cellular function and preserves their state until defrost.

People who invest in these services are often desperate to reunite with family in the future. The youngest known patient is a two-year-old Thai girl who died of brain cancer. Her family hopes to reunite with her down the line.

:shock:
<t></t>

Oerdin

Desperation sucks and that business seems to depend on desperation.

Dove

Nope.

I just wanna be able to rot organically out in the woods and be consumed by animals and nature.

Who wants to suck air on this dirt rock forever? I'll be with the Lord.

I'd rather use that 200k to help a child with cancer NOT die.
My happiness is all of your misery. I put good dick all in my kidneys.

Anonymous

Quote from: Dove post_id=476585 time=1665634559 user_id=3266
Nope.

I just wanna be able to rot organically out in the woods and be consumed by animals and nature.

That is easy for you to say. You have lots of time left.

Anonymous

Nope.

Amen.

Erica Mena

I get it but...

I'm looking at it in a different way. The loss of a child is pretty much the end of a happy life. Life itself, actually. I think I'd be desperate enough to do this.
<t></t>

Dove

Quote from: Herman post_id=476587 time=1665635312
Nope.

That is easy for you to say. You have lots of time left.

Do I though?  

There have been exactly 3 times in my life where I came pretty close to death. One of those times I didnt know until after the fact....but it still hits.

I've seen 4 of my peers....people I went to school with, die of natural body malfunctions. One had a flu, went to bed and died.  2 others....heart attacks. A few drug overdoses. And one who just felt "weird" and died 10 minutes after saying "I'm not feeling right"(she had some bizzare disorder she didnt even know about and it killed her at 39).

For all I know I could die later. Freak things happen everyday.  I'm past 40 so those freak things usually happen to people my age.

I could live to be 100 or I could kick off next week. No one but God knows.

I cant speak for everyone but personally I like it that way lol.

Dove

Quote from: "Erica Mena" post_id=476606 time=1665670201 user_id=2845
I get it but...

I'm looking at it in a different way. The loss of a child is pretty much the end of a happy life. Life itself, actually. I think I'd be desperate enough to do this.

And then be haunted everyday wondering if you've imprisoned your childs spirit and how you could be offending the Lord.

I get the desperation. I took a pause at the dead toddler. But if you really think about this.....humans will never control life and death to this extent and this business is exploiting the grief of mothers whose babies passed. It's pretty fucking shitty.

What if that technology doesnt come around for 200 years....if it ever does? Unless you can freeze yourself, who is gonna raise the pet semetary child? LoL. Gonna pass it down through your family line and leave it to your great great great nephew?

JOE

I get it but...

...and yet they can't being somebody back to life who is already dead, Erica like that Thai child they cited who died of brain cancer. It would have to be some sort of process that keeps somebody alive or at least their organs such as someone in a coma not already dead.

I believe there was a story about Walt Disney wanting to be kept alive longer by having his corpse cryogenically  frozen.

">

I remember the day he died and the story about freezing him.

Erica Mena

Quote from: Dove post_id=476623 time=1665677385 user_id=3266
I get it but...

And then be haunted everyday wondering if you've imprisoned your childs spirit and how you could be offending the Lord.

I get the desperation. I took a pause at the dead toddler. But if you really think about this.....humans will never control life and death to this extent and this business is exploiting the grief of mothers whose babies passed. It's pretty fucking shitty.

What if that technology doesnt come around for 200 years....if it ever does? Unless you can freeze yourself, who is gonna raise the pet semetary child? LoL. Gonna pass it down through your family line and leave it to your great great great nephew?

You know my husband would never let me go there. But I understand the desperation
<t></t>

Dove

Once consciousness leaves.....that cannot be summoned back. A body can be brought "back to life" and kept "alive" bit when the person is gone, they are gone.

People have died and talked about leaving and going somewhere they didnt want to return from. So....I dont think any technology humans can harness would be capable of bringing anyone back and putting them back into their former meatsack.

I'm sure we are "plugged in" to this existence or realm and the "real" reality is beyond this. And we go there when we wake up from this dreamy nightmare.

JOE

Quote from: Dove post_id=476690 time=1665689925 user_id=3266
Once consciousness leaves.....that cannot be summoned back. A body can be brought "back to life" and kept "alive" bit when the person is gone, they are gone.

People have died and talked about leaving and going somewhere they didnt want to return from. So....I dont think any technology humans can harness would be capable of bringing anyone back and putting them back into their former meatsack.

I'm sure we are "plugged in" to this existence or realm and the "real" reality is beyond this. And we go there when we wake up from this dreamy nightmare.

Gotta achieve whatcha always wanted to that yer capable of, Dove.

Otherwise you'll look back and realize it was a wasted life/existence. And even if a person struck it rich winning the lottery late in life they still can't buy back the opportunities & experiences they squandered or missed.

They can buy material objects but they can't buy lost time.

We only got so much time, eh.

Make a bucketlist of items of things you've always wanted to do & check it off as you go along.

Then you'll have fewer regrets in the end.

Frood

Quote from: Dove post_id=476690 time=1665689925 user_id=3266

I've got a sneaking suspicion that we're lured to "the light" after death because the light is perpetual reincarnation which doesn't benefit us as much as it does others....

It's an endless loop trap unless you avoid "the light"...
Blahhhhhh...

Anonymous

There's been a lot said on the topic, most of it devolves to belief and almost none of it in demonstrable fact.

I'm going to have to remain agnostic on the matter. Nobody has ever coughed up concrete proof of the notion that "souls" or "God" exists any more than anyone else has proved they do not. Similarly, I am unaware of any instance where an individual has been thawed and restored to life. The whole thing smacks of an expensive and elaborate grift to me, but with the lived (deathed?) experience, I cannot speak with any authority on its efficacy or lack thereof.

I can tell you one thing though; if the freezers ever get turned off, either by virtue of another Harrington Event or a bunch of Greta von Doomsberg activists bitching about carbon footprints, I am going to piss myself laughing. If that's the end result, I count it as money well spent.

Oliver Clotheshoffe

I've thought about doing it hoping I would come back in the Star Trek world but it's probably more likely I would find the Hunger Games world instead so I'll skip it.
Life is too short to be in a hurry