News:

SMF - Just Installed!

The best topic

Replies: 10406
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 09:47:30 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Herman

ThatSingerReactions - Do Americans know him?

Started by caskur, January 10, 2023, 05:13:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Erica Mena

I have a 70 inch in the living room. 50 inch in the bedrooms.

I'm blessed
<t></t>

Anonymous

There's times when a large TV becomes more of a curse than a blessing. I found that out very early on when I started collecting 4K content.

Take Star Wars for example. It was the first movie I saw on the silver screen and plenty of versions exist of it. You certainly aren't stuck for choice should you be in the market for a copy, it is perfectly possible to find versions that have been remastered and rejigged for the latest of TV screens.

I'm a bit of a purist though. I want to recreate the original theater experience I was blown away with as a kid. A large TV screen just isn't gonna cut it. For one thing, even the largest of screens available today are still just too damn small for the purpose and of what is available in monitor real estate, film emulsion gets to looking just plain rotten the larger your screen real estate grows. And okay, a remastered, degrained and digitally noise reduced copy of a master print will take care of a lot of that, but it comes at a cost of the detail of the scenes themselves. Shit starts to soften and blur, smaller details vanish entirely.

">

All of this is solved the minute one buys a projector, which is what I did. Now I am limited not by the size of the screen, but by the size of the wall (or ceiling) that I am projecting the image on to. In the absence of DNR, film grain looks way more natural and the sharpness and detail are retained.

">

It's the closest I can get to the original cinema experience short of actually being there. And as I am dipping my toes in an ever growing collection of cinema classics, I think I deserve the option of the most natural representation of them that I can achieve in the comfort of my own home.

caskur

That God for YouTube...

One by John Farnham...

">

A very very young John Farnham..

">
"I think having land and not ruining it is the most beautiful art that anybody could ever want."
- Andy Warhol

Print
User actions