Replies: 10385
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 10:06:23 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Erica Mena

Very thoughtful article....However, i would argue

Started by Obvious Li, May 19, 2014, 04:00:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Obvious Li

we have been a police state for some time now....just try and live your life without following the morass of state rules and see what happens.....

e do not accept that a government could legislate away a woman's fundamental rights."

Identity politics play well in police states. We're not there yet, not even in the vicinity. We're just heading in that direction. Crime is one shtick for one set of politicians, abortion is another for another. I wonder if young Mr. Trudeau has ever noticed that women are split right down the middle on this question of their "fundamental rights?"

Occasionally we notice that Canada is one of the best countries in the world, and feel we ought to do something about it. Depending on our temperament, we may resolve to improve it even further. That's not necessarily bad or dangerous, it's just not as safe as celebrating Canada by declaring a statutory Feel-Good-About-Your-Country-Day. Or, and better still, saying the hell with it, and taking the afternoon off for a few holes of golf.

Few if any Canadians respond by setting out to make Canada worse. If that's what we end up doing, it's the unintended side effects of our brave efforts to make a good country better. Not better than it is, for fixes around the margins won't ruin a country, but better than nature, history and the human condition allow a country to be in the 21st century.

I don't think we can be. Canada is about as good as it gets these days. Oh, it's far from ideal; it's just that every road that I see leads downhill fro

Anonymous

Quote from: "Obvious Li"we have been a police state for some time now....just try and live your life without following the morass of state rules and see what happens.....

e do not accept that a government could legislate away a woman's fundamental rights."

Identity politics play well in police states. We're not there yet, not even in the vicinity. We're just heading in that direction. Crime is one shtick for one set of politicians, abortion is another for another. I wonder if young Mr. Trudeau has ever noticed that women are split right down the middle on this question of their "fundamental rights?"

Occasionally we notice that Canada is one of the best countries in the world, and feel we ought to do something about it. Depending on our temperament, we may resolve to improve it even further. That's not necessarily bad or dangerous, it's just not as safe as celebrating Canada by declaring a statutory Feel-Good-About-Your-Country-Day. Or, and better still, saying the hell with it, and taking the afternoon off for a few holes of golf.

Few if any Canadians respond by setting out to make Canada worse. If that's what we end up doing, it's the unintended side effects of our brave efforts to make a good country better. Not better than it is, for fixes around the margins won't ruin a country, but better than nature, history and the human condition allow a country to be in the 21st century.

I don't think we can be. Canada is about as good as it gets these days. Oh, it's far from ideal; it's just that every road that I see leads downhill fro

My parents lived in Taiwan under Chiang Kai Shek's regime..

That was a police state, not present day Canada.

Romero

The author of the article doesn't give a single reason why we would be heading towards a police state. He mentions 40 years of the Human Rights Commission, yet "Canada is about as good as it gets these days".

Quote from: "Obvious Li"we have been a police state for some time now....just try and live your life without following the morass of state rules and see what happens.....

State rules such as what? Not being allowed to murder and steal?

Anonymous

Technology has made it a lot easier for the state to keep tabs on us.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Shen Li"Technology has made it a lot easier for the state to keep tabs on us.

If you believe Edward Snowden, the Americans have been misusing technology regularly.

Big Wave Dave

You can't drink a beer in a public park. Prostitution is illegal. Lighting off fireworks without a permit in a park is illegal. Building a fence or a garage without applying for a city permit is illegal.

Then you have the thought Gestapo if someone doesn't hide an opinion that fat feminists don't like. You can have Canada, I like my freedom.

Anonymous

I would agree there is too much government in Canada. We also continue to feed the behemoth too. Unfortunately, my baby boy can expect much more of the same. No political party on this continent has the balls to take on the growing beast. That would be political suicide. Elections are won by expanding bureaucracy and every party has to play the game.

Chickenfeets

Quote from: "George Jonas"What scares me is his son, Justin Trudeau, potentially the next prime minister of the country, having the temerity to say, as he did earlier this week, that he allows and even encourages personal views in his caucus. Really? About what? Dietary or sartorial questions? Are MPs encouraged to select the colour of socks their conscience dictates?

Yes, with thoughts like these, how could this article not be perceived as "thoughtful"?  :?

Shen, I'm curious: in what sphere of our lives would you deem less government desirable?

RW

Prostitution is legal in Canada.

I've never heard of needing a permit to build a fence.

I guess Canada is harsher when you invent half of the laws.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "Chickenfeets"
Quote from: "George Jonas"What scares me is his son, Justin Trudeau, potentially the next prime minister of the country, having the temerity to say, as he did earlier this week, that he allows and even encourages personal views in his caucus. Really? About what? Dietary or sartorial questions? Are MPs encouraged to select the colour of socks their conscience dictates?

Yes, with thoughts like these, how could this article not be perceived as "thoughtful"?  :?

Shen, I'm curious: in what sphere of our lives would you deem less government desirable?

Blurt, I am curious as to why on earth you would not jump on having more control over your own life? Do you think strangers know what is best for you? Do you think strangers can spend your money more prudently than you can? If so, I will give you my bank info, so you can deposit your hard-earned $$ into it.

I'm not going to comment on Trudeau's abortion stance because I just don't give a shit.

Obvious Li

[/b]

every and all...dear poulet pieds.......we are overrun with rules and regulations that stifle the creative spirit and grind the over achievers too dust......we are quickly becoming a mirror image of the worst run country on earth.......namely France....i recently have had the edifying experience of applying for a restricted firearms license......i wish all those non-believers could experience this class A exercise in bureaucratic cluster fucks.....par none.....if it wasn't so fucking typical of where this country is right now you could laugh about it .......but this is serious shit.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Obvious Li"

[/b]

every and all...dear poulet pieds.......we are overrun with rules and regulations that stifle the creative spirit and grind the over achievers too dust......we are quickly becoming a mirror image of the worst run country on earth.......namely France....i recently have had the edifying experience of applying for a restricted firearms license......i wish all those non-believers could experience this class A exercise in bureaucratic cluster fucks.....par none.....if it wasn't so fucking typical of where this country is right now you could laugh about it .......but this is serious shit.

I am glad Canada does not make it easy to possess handguns.

Obvious Li

Quote from: "seoulbro"

[/b]

[/b]

back the fuck off....one of the results of too many immigrants is attitudes like this.......i was born with a rifle in my hand....i will die that way....don't bring your shit here.........if you don't like guns then don't use them......and by the way..don't worry when the shit hits the fan i will protect you with mine....your welcome.... :ugeek:

Anonymous

[/b]

[/b]

back the fuck off....one of the results of too many immigrants is attitudes like this.......i was born with a rifle in my hand....i will die that way....don't bring your shit here.........if you don't like guns then don't use them......and by the way..don't worry when the shit hits the fan i will protect you with mine....your welcome.... :ugeek:

A lot of bullshit involved in getting a restricted PAL eh OL?

Obvious Li

Quote from: "Shen Li"

[/b]

A lot of bullshit involved in getting a restricted PAL eh OL?

if i told you; you would simply not believe me....and these fucks are serious.....no wonder more RCMP are getting blasted these days...sheer frustration on the part of honest citizens hassled by a bunch of snot nosed brain washed, feminized academy graduates who need to be offed for the sake of this country..... :ugeek: