The best topic

Replies: 10406
Total votes: : 4

Last post: September 21, 2024, 09:47:30 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Herman

BC Natives Win Supreme Court Decision

Started by Gary Oak, June 26, 2014, 05:48:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 3 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Romero

We have to give them something for taking most of their land.

Benefits based on ethnicity? We stuck them onto reserves and forced them into residential schools based on their ethnicity.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Romero"We have to give them something for taking most of their land.

Benefits based on ethnicity? We stuck them onto reserves and forced them into residential schools based on their ethnicity.

I never took anything from anyone and I should not have to pay money in taxes for benefits that I am not entitled to simply because I am the wrong ethnicity. I never put anyone in a residential school(though if someone was abused in those religious schools they should be entitled to restitution).

Shit happened to people of my ethnicity too ya know. I shouldn't be entitled to benefits just because your great grandpa did shit to my great grandpa. That's insane!!

Romero

You're currently living and working on former native territory. The deal was we would take it in exchange for supposing to take care of their basic needs.

It's not like they prefer to live on little reserves getting little recognition and care. They're the ones getting the real short end of the stick.

Romero

Uh oh!

QuoteCity of Vancouver formally declares city is on unceded Aboriginal territory

Vancouver city council has unanimously voted to acknowledge that the city is on unceded Aboriginal territory.

Mayor Gregor Robertson declared a 'Year of Reconciliation' last summer, in the hopes of building new relationships between Aboriginals and Vancouverites.

"Underlying all other truths spoken during the Year of Reconciliation is the truth that the modern city of Vancouver was founded on the traditional territories of the Musqueam, Squamish and Tsleil-Waututh First Nations and that these territories were never ceded through treaty, war or surrender," reads part of the motion from the city.

The city says it will now work with representatives from the Aboriginal community to determine "appropriate protocols" for conducting city business.

http://globalnews.ca/news/1416321/city-of-vancouver-formally-declares-city-is-on-unceded-aborginal-territory/">//http://globalnews.ca/news/1416321/city-of-vancouver-formally-declares-city-is-on-unceded-aborginal-territory/

I've actually accepted this decades ago. I live near the village site of X̱wáýx̱way in Stanley Park, where Captain George Vancouver was the first European to meet the indigenous people of this region.

Obvious Li

Quote from: "Romero"We have to give them something for taking most of their land.

wonder if we just told the EU to redraw the maps for europe back to 1492..i think even those anal fucktards would get some balls and say fuck off......

Anonymous

Quote from: "Romero"Uh oh!

QuoteCity of Vancouver formally declares city is on unceded Aboriginal territory

Vancouver city council has unanimously voted to acknowledge that the city is on unceded Aboriginal territory.

Mayor Gregor Robertson declared a 'Year of Reconciliation' last summer, in the hopes of building new relationships between Aboriginals and Vancouverites.

"Underlying all other truths spoken during the Year of Reconciliation is the truth that the modern city of Vancouver was founded on the traditional territories of the Musqueam, Squamish and Tsleil-Waututh First Nations and that these territories were never ceded through treaty, war or surrender," reads part of the motion from the city.

The city says it will now work with representatives from the Aboriginal community to determine "appropriate protocols" for conducting city business.

http://globalnews.ca/news/1416321/city-of-vancouver-formally-declares-city-is-on-unceded-aborginal-territory/">//http://globalnews.ca/news/1416321/city-of-vancouver-formally-declares-city-is-on-unceded-aborginal-territory/

I've actually accepted this decades ago. I live near the village site of X̱wáýx̱way in Stanley Park, where Captain George Vancouver was the first European to meet the indigenous people of this region.

The mayor of Vancouver is nuts(but we knew that anyways)?? There is no separtate Native nations and never will be. There are only Canadians and left wing politicians  that seek to divide us(based on race) are on the wrong side of history.

I'm fucking drunk!

Anonymous

I do not know how Shen Li, Gary Oak and Obvious Li can be so cold hearted..

A people's home, culture, language and entire way of life was stolen..

What were they given besides diseases they never knew before.

Obvious Li

Quote from: "Fashionista"I do not know how Shen Li, Gary Oak and Obvious Li can be so cold hearted..

Fash......are you trolling me...seriously......if not, you need to get out of Calgary more often. Failing that possibly read a book about native history written by someone not connected to the modern Indian industry...it can be quite an eye opener....better yet study govt. archives regarding cash payments to indians by canadian taxpayers over the last 100 years....interesting reading.......it is pretty hard to retain your culture, way of life and language when you are swimming in a whiskey bottle or injesting hair spray and lysol out behind the barn.......if there is one thing the white man is guilty of is being too generous ....free money has been their downfall from the onset.....no way to fix it now

Anonymous

Quote from: "Obvious Li"
Quote from: "Fashionista"I do not know how Shen Li, Gary Oak and Obvious Li can be so cold hearted..

Fash......are you trolling me...seriously......if not, you need to get out of Calgary more often. Failing that possibly read a book about native history written by someone not connected to the modern Indian industry...it can be quite an eye opener....better yet study govt. archives regarding cash payments to indians by canadian taxpayers over the last 100 years....interesting reading.......it is pretty hard to retain your culture, way of life and language when you are swimming in a whiskey bottle or injesting hair spray and lysol out behind the barn.......if there is one thing the white man is guilty of is being too generous ....free money has been their downfall from the onset.....no way to fix it now

Obvious Li, my heart pains knowing people suffer.

:(

Obvious Li

Quote from: "Fashionista"

mine too sweetheart....but being an enabler to an addict is not a solution....i live and work with natives...two of my brothers are half native.....i have deep deep sympathies for their situation...but more money sent to chiefs and their families who steal it and become wealthy has not worked..i have no problem with natives controlling what goes on on their lands.....anything to make them self sufficient, proud, industrious members of society.....it pains me to no end to see what goes on daily

currently natives receive between $15K and $25K for every man, woman and child...which means that for a family of 4 they receive between $60K and $100K annually....tax free.......can you imagine what any chinese or asian family could do with $100K free money every year....and they still get free health, education, glasses, prescriptions etc etc on top of that...it is not an issue of not caring...it is an issue of missmanagement

Anonymous

Quote from: "Fashionista"

Yes, there is suffering among Aboriginals. I have worked on reserves and seen it first hand. Some of the biggest problems are rampant sexual abuse and family violence. These are not problems that can be fixed with more cash or a land claims settlements. In fact, those so-called "solutions" only exacerbate problems. Corrupt chiefs have even more cash to waste on their friends and lovers and fuck everyone else.

The best way to bring Natives into the mainstream of Canadian society is rip up the Indian Act, forget about these silly land claims, close reserves(but allow Natives first chance to buy the land), drop all the wasteful subsidy programs that benefit too many non-Natives and recognize one citizenship along with rights and rules for everyone.

Romero

Quote from: "Obvious Li"currently natives receive between $15K and $25K for every man, woman and child...which means that for a family of 4 they receive between $60K and $100K annually....tax free

No they don't.

Renee

Quote from: "Romero"
Quote from: "Obvious Li"currently natives receive between $15K and $25K for every man, woman and child...which means that for a family of 4 they receive between $60K and $100K annually....tax free

No they don't.

Well, how much do they receive?

Don't just say "no they don't" and then run away.

This is an example of why I say that debating you is like arguing with Pee-Wee Herman.
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Frederick Douglass, November 15, 1867.

Romero

If you wish to foolishly believe that a First Nations family of four is just given $60-100,000 annually, go right ahead! It's like saying American Indians receive between $15K and $25K for every man, woman and child, which would obviously be false.

There's no set amount and it's different for every individual and family. One may get something and another may get nothing, just like every one else in the country. How much does a native on EI receive? It depends!

Sorry, I didn't expect to have to prove something so obviously untrue. I wouldn't know how much you or Obviously Li receive from the government either.

Renee

Quote from: "Romero"If you wish to foolishly believe that a First Nations family of four is just given $60-100,000 annually, go right ahead! It's like saying American Indians receive between $15K and $25K for every man, woman and child, which would obviously be false.

There's no set amount and it's different for every individual and family. One may get something and another may get nothing, just like every one else in the country. How much does a native on EI receive? It depends!

Sorry, I didn't expect to have to prove something so obviously untrue. I wouldn't know how much you or Obviously Li receive from the government either.

If it varies then there has to be an average cost. There must be a funding formula the gov. uses for budgeting money for native populations and it propbably breaks down to a per/person basis.  So on average how much do they receive? If you don't know then don't make statements you can't back up.

If it's obvious then it should be easy for you.
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Frederick Douglass, November 15, 1867.