Replies: 10406
Total votes: : 4

Last post: September 21, 2024, 09:47:30 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Herman

Paid Sick Days And Canada's Federal Snivel Serpents

Started by Anonymous, July 18, 2014, 12:29:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

I know taking away paid sick days will not pay off Canada's debt. However, it is an insult to every taxpayer in this country.
QuoteThe public sector entitlement culture has got to end.

It used to be that government jobs didn't offer the same pay and benefits as private sector jobs, but at least there was job security. That was the trade off.

Now, public servants generally get better benefits than their private sector counterparts. Nothing proves this more than the ridiculous conversation currently being had over paid sick days for public sector workers.

Negotiations are underway this week between the Public Service Alliance of Canada and the Treasury Board with the latter hoping to "modernize" the sick leave program by replacing it with a new short-term disability plan.

PSAC represents roughly 100,000 workers.

"We will not bargain concessions," Chris Aylward, national executive VP of PSAC, said in a QMI Agency story. He said scaling back the program would be a "major concession."

So what, exactly, are we talking about? Here's what public sector workers receive under the current program: 1.25 paid sick days per month. That's 15 per year.

Let's be clear here: this is not about vacation days. This is three weeks of sick leave – on top of vacation days – that all workers are entitled to.

These days can be banked throughout the term of employment. Although thankfully there is no cash payout at the end.

So this is one of the perks the union is willing to take to the streets for? Taking away this luxury is one of the mean tactics those nasty old Conservatives are unleashing upon society? Give us a break!

It's common sense to get rid of this. Many people in the private sector don't get designated sick days. In fact, a lot of people in the private sector don't even get paid vacation days. Yet these are the folks who are paying the wages of public sector workers. The only major concession here is that taxpayers are forking out for this in the first place.

To want to eliminate this program isn't about judging the quality of work or type of person holding the position. It's a "no hard feelings" proposition. It's simply about creating a sustainable future.

Is it too much to ask public servants to face the same realities as the people they serve?

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2014/07/09/sick-of-union-entitlement">http://www.edmontonsun.com/2014/07/09/s ... ntitlement">http://www.edmontonsun.com/2014/07/09/sick-of-union-entitlement

Anonymous

Wasn't there a report last year that showed federal civil servants were sick more often than their counterparts in the private sector?

When you dangle candy in front of people, don't be surprised when they take it.

Anonymous

Quote from: "seoulbro"Wasn't there a report last year that showed federal civil servants were sick more often than their counterparts in the private sector?

When you dangle candy in front of people, don't be surprised when they take it.

Take away the incentive to game the system and you'll be surprised how healthy our snivel serpents suddenly become.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Shen Li"I know taking away paid sick days will not pay off Canada's debt. However, it is an insult to every taxpayer in this country.
QuoteThe public sector entitlement culture has got to end.

It used to be that government jobs didn't offer the same pay and benefits as private sector jobs, but at least there was job security. That was the trade off.

Now, public servants generally get better benefits than their private sector counterparts. Nothing proves this more than the ridiculous conversation currently being had over paid sick days for public sector workers.

Negotiations are underway this week between the Public Service Alliance of Canada and the Treasury Board with the latter hoping to "modernize" the sick leave program by replacing it with a new short-term disability plan.

PSAC represents roughly 100,000 workers.

"We will not bargain concessions," Chris Aylward, national executive VP of PSAC, said in a QMI Agency story. He said scaling back the program would be a "major concession."

So what, exactly, are we talking about? Here's what public sector workers receive under the current program: 1.25 paid sick days per month. That's 15 per year.

Let's be clear here: this is not about vacation days. This is three weeks of sick leave – on top of vacation days – that all workers are entitled to.

These days can be banked throughout the term of employment. Although thankfully there is no cash payout at the end.

So this is one of the perks the union is willing to take to the streets for? Taking away this luxury is one of the mean tactics those nasty old Conservatives are unleashing upon society? Give us a break!

It's common sense to get rid of this. Many people in the private sector don't get designated sick days. In fact, a lot of people in the private sector don't even get paid vacation days. Yet these are the folks who are paying the wages of public sector workers. The only major concession here is that taxpayers are forking out for this in the first place.

To want to eliminate this program isn't about judging the quality of work or type of person holding the position. It's a "no hard feelings" proposition. It's simply about creating a sustainable future.

Is it too much to ask public servants to face the same realities as the people they serve?

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2014/07/09/sick-of-union-entitlement">http://www.edmontonsun.com/2014/07/09/s ... ntitlement">http://www.edmontonsun.com/2014/07/09/sick-of-union-entitlement

I don't know about our federal counterparts, but most of the ladies I work with are very dedicated.

Anonymous

^Dedicated to scamming as much as they can out of taxpayers?

RW

By law, vacation time is banked and paid for every working Canadian so where the writer gets this shit about private sector workers not getting paid vacation days is beyond me.

Oh wait, I forgot that we're supposed eat up media bullshit with a golden spoon around here. My bad.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "Real Woman"By law, vacation time is banked and paid for every working Canadian so where the writer gets this shit about private sector workers not getting paid vacation days is beyond me.

Oh wait, I forgot that we're supposed eat up media bullshit with a golden spoon around here. My bad.

It said the SICK days cannot be paid out the end. At my company, hourly paid workers can bank up to 80 hours of OT. They can get it paid out anytime they wish. It's their money, they earned it.

I don't have any perk for paid sick days. However, because I'm salaried, I can take a day off to see a doctor or any other appointment without losing any money. As long as all my assignments are all completed on time it's no problem.

What Canadians object to is the potential are the 15 pai sick days per annum. That's an abuse of the taxpayer's money.

RW

You need to read the article again Shen darling.

Do taxpayers really object to paid sick time?  I can't say I've seen a lot of people bitching about it - Quite the opposite actually.  More people want paid sick time because they don't want to have to use their PAID vacation days for an illness.

Employers are also starting to move in the direction of encouraging sick employees to stay home because of loss in productivity from spreading illnesses around a work site.  Those who don't have paid sick time tend not to stay home when ill.

I don't object to bankable OT as a means of padding a sick bank (thank a union for OT pay in the first place seeetheart), but OT is legislated to be paid out at time and a half so a third of your 80 hours are non-worked hours anyway.  The argument could be made that your employer is in essence giving you paid sick time.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "Real Woman"You need to read the article again Shen darling.

Do taxpayers really object to paid sick time?  I can't say I've seen a lot of people bitching about it -.

Absofuckingtively, if they fucking knew about it. Before you joined we had a thread which showed federal snivel serpents were far more likely to be sick than their private sector counters. Who the fuck is doing their job when they are taking their additional three weeks AV/annum/sick fucking days? Somebody must be doing it or their jobs are obsolete/and a waste of taxpayer money.

This is an abuse that must fucking end. This kind of fraud would not be tolerated in the private sector and nor should taxpayers tolerate it simply because our gutless elected leaders are scared of public sector union power....FUCK EM ALL!!! :x  :x  :x

RW

You don't think people know that public service employees get paid sick time?  Are you fucking kidding me?!

You can't blame a union if an employer doesn't enforce discipline on abuses that are within their right to enforce BTW.  

Again, it's no secret and people aren't jumping up and down.  I suspect it's because they'd rather bitch that they should have paid sick days rather than have others lose theirs.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Obvious Li

Quote from: "Shen Li"
Quote from: "Real Woman"You need to read the article again Shen darling.

Do taxpayers really object to paid sick time?  I can't say I've seen a lot of people bitching about it -.

Absofuckingtively, if they fucking knew about it. Before you joined we had a thread which showed federal snivel serpents were far more likely to be sick than their private sector counters. Who the fuck is doing their job when they are taking their additional three weeks AV/annum/sick fucking days? Somebody must be doing it or their jobs are obsolete/and a waste of taxpayer money.

This is an abuse that must fucking end. This kind of fraud would not be tolerated in the private sector and nor should taxpayers tolerate it simply because our gutless elected leaders are scared of public sector union power....FUCK EM ALL!!! :x  :x  :x

so true princess...stop trying to talk sense to this knothead......not possible......if you want proof that the average canadian is close to retardation i give you the ontario election results......so the fact that people aren't rising up in the streets regarding overpaid and useless public servants and their egregious sick benefits means nothing....people now days are too stupid to care and most receive some sort of govt. benefit anyway so wish the gravy train to continue forever.....

RW

Idiocy aside, employers move towards paid sick time as an incentives to attract employees rather than the moving in the opposite direction.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "Real Woman"Idiocy aside, employers move towards paid sick time as an incentives to attract employees rather than the moving in the opposite direction.

Incentivizing them to what? Being away from work more often because that is what is happening in the federal snivel service.

RW

Are people sick more often because the have paid sick day?

Prove it.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "Real Woman"Are people sick more often because the have paid sick day?

Prove it.

There is no denying the federal civil service is sick more often than even their municipal and provincial counterparts let alone the private sector. This tells me that Ottawa is hiring too many unhealthy people or they are taking days off when they are not really sick at all.

QuoteThe Minister stopped short of accusing public servants of abusing the system, but questioned why the federal absentee rate is higher than that of other governments and the private sector, where he said the average number of sick days is 6.7.

"Look, I think that the great majority of public servants are, when they take time off, they are sick. But there's no question that the rate of sick leave, when you're looking at 18.2 days as an average in a year, is well beyond not only private sector norms but other public-sector norms," Mr. Clement said Monday at a news conference on Parliament Hill.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/public-servants-number-of-sick-days-are-unsustainable-clement/article12450013/">http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/pol ... e12450013/">http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/public-servants-number-of-sick-days-are-unsustainable-clement/article12450013/

About two and a half times sick more often than their private sector counterparts? Something fishy about this.