The best topic

Replies: 10393
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 09:41:25 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by DKG

Re: Public Transportation Is Bad For The Environment

Started by Superchecker, October 23, 2012, 05:41:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 6 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Superchecker

That's not great to hear...

Over 5,000 people directly employed in the Public Transit Industry in Greater Vancouver...
<t></t>

Romero

Can you possibly imagine what it would be like if there were no public transportation? It'd be a nightmare. New York is a perfect example right now. There's almost no public transportation. Traffic is at a standstill and thousands of people are walking for hours just to get to work.

You have no idea how public transportation benefits the economy. There's a good reason why every major urban centre in the world depends on it to thrive.

Can you possibly imagine the implications of millions of people losing their means of transportation? Should they all buy a car? That'd be great for the environment, all of us idling and getting nowhere with the huge influx of vehicles on the road.

Public transportation is a huge plus to every environment and economy. All the greatest cities and regions in the world have the best systems. Money well spent.

Romero

I did read the article.

There's no way it's a good idea to get millions of people in Canada and millions of people around the world away from public transportation and into cars. It's totally not feasible and it would be economic and environmental disaster. Massive road congestion and pollution, and by the way most of these millions of people can't drive cars or afford them. What would you have them do? Stay at home? Hitchhike?

Zetsu

Public transport helps reduce a lot of traffic congestion, it might not be the best for the enviroment but it's still something that's still needed in our society.
Permanently off his rocker

EU

Quote from: "Romero"Can you possibly imagine what it would be like if there were no public transportation?

Ya it's called LA...and Miami ain't much better, I've been to both...Pansy you are off your rocker darling, rapid transit is not all run on diesel. Interesting the article talks about the perils of CO2...I thought that wasn't harmful, in the eyes of the shills with big oil and the dupes on the right who bought into that disregard for the future of the planet.

EU

Quote from: "Shen Li"
Quote from: "EU"
Quote from: "Romero"Can you possibly imagine what it would be like if there were no public transportation?

Ya it's called LA...and Miami ain't much better, I've been to both...Shen Li you are off your rocker darling, rapid transit is not all run on diesel. Interesting the article talks about the perils of CO2...I thought that wasn't harmful, in the eyes of the shills with big oil and the dupes on the right who bought into that disregard for the future of the planet.

Apparently you cannot read. [size=150]The average motorized city bus, he reports, burns 27% more energy per mile than a private car and emits 31% more pounds of CO2. The U.S. Bureau of Transportation Statistics confirms that the average city bus requires 20% more energy per passenger than the average car. [/size]You shills of big green, GE/Enron as well as  oil companies are the ones ramming this faux environmental scam down our throats. The article is just using your f*cked up logic to counter the myth that public transportation is good for the environment. Public transportation is efficient at peak hours ONLY. Beyond that is a complete waste of taxpayers resources and demands more of the environment to have buses roll around town empty.

You seem to be agreeing CO2 levels have an affect on the planet. In Vancouver, where we are and where this site originates, (seems to be a real obssession from outsiders for our wonderful city) has hundreds of electric buses and an electric sky train.

But ya after the closet libertarians eliminate our infrastructure we will be returned to the last century when the poor didn't have to move about aimlessly.

Romero

Yeah. Most buses in the city and the SkyTrain network are run on hydroelectricity. Completely green. No CO2.

What would have us do, Shen Li? There's no way we can move away from public transportion.

Frost

You all are lucky to have it on Hydro electric, ours buses is so nasty here billowing black diesel in your face as they pass .

I think they put out the emissions of likely 20 - 30 cars.

The real shame is we have some of the worst pollution for allergies in the US, and more worse we have the large Ohio river hardly being used to create power.

Count yourself very lucky for a cleaner system.

EU

Quote from: "Blue"Count yourself very lucky for a cleaner system.

We are lucky especially when one looks around the world.

http://assets.inhabitat.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/2011/02/00240028-537x356.jpg">http://assets.inhabitat.com/wp-content/ ... 37x356.jpg">http://assets.inhabitat.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/2011/02/00240028-537x356.jpg[/img]

Eight years earlier, David hadn't heard of Ecuador's oil pollution, much less set foot in the country. For his sixth-grade final project, David was assigned a random Latin American country to study; he focused on the cultural and environmental diversity of Ecuador. Through his research he learned about a lawsuit against the oil giant ChevronTexaco, then Texaco. During its extraction work, the company had dumped the equivalent volume of about eight Exxon Valdezes of crude oil and associated wastes into unlined open-air pits and waters in El Oriente, the Ecuadorian Amazon, In 1993, a lawsuit on behalf of 30,000 Amazon residents was filed against Chevron, claiming they had caused $27 billion of environmental damage.

The following year, in seventh grade, David wrote a letter to Chevron advocating for social justice in Ecuador. He soon learned that his English teacher was the daughter of Cristobal Bonifaz, the lawyer who had started the landmark case. David approached her, sat atop her desk and knowingly asked, "Is this your father? Because I learned about him last year through this project that I did. I'm very interested in possibly meeting him." He had to nudge her before she would agree to introduce him, but when she did his involvement with Ecuador was forever changed.

By the age of 14, he had not only begun working with Cristobal and the researchers involved in the case, but had also founded a non-profit organization called Esperanza International to educate Americans about oil issues.

And so several years later there he was, only 19 years old, yet leading a group of students, many of them older than he, on a toxi-tour through the Amazon. He had arranged nearly the entire trip, a ten-day Alternative Spring Break. With help from his many Ecuadorian friends, colleagues and connections, he ensured that everything went smoothly: the flight from Quito over the snow-capped volcano peaks of the Andes and labyrinthine jungle to the oil town of Coca, the visits to off-bounds toxic sites and even the canoe ride to an Indigenous Secoya community where the students slept in thatch huts and ate freshly killed armadillo.

http://inhabitat.com/david-portiz-unveils-the-destruction-of-the-amazon-caused-by-oil-pollution/2/">http://inhabitat.com/david-portiz-unvei ... llution/2/">http://inhabitat.com/david-portiz-unveils-the-destruction-of-the-amazon-caused-by-oil-pollution/2/

Ya you can trust big Oil and the dupes that are the talking heads for them.

Frost

I think oil drilling if done responsibly, and without permanent destruction of an environment is great, but the regulations in place should be monitored strictly.

The officials watching should be monitored also, greed can but a lot of closed eyes.

I would rather cleaner options be made available at a reasonable price, but don't see that happening anytime soon.

Zetsu

Quote from: "Zetsu"Public transport helps reduce a lot of traffic congestion, it might not be the best for the enviroment but it's still something that's still needed in our society.

Oh it does for sure. The problem is the inefficient way we use taxpayers money on it.

There's nothing much could be done about it, a city without public transportation is practically impossible, the only option is hoping more people would using the transit system to curb off the debt.
Permanently off his rocker

EU

Quote from: "Blue"Count yourself very lucky for a cleaner system.

We are lucky especially when one looks around the world.

http://assets.inhabitat.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/2011/02/00240028-537x356.jpg">http://assets.inhabitat.com/wp-content/ ... 37x356.jpg">http://assets.inhabitat.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/2011/02/00240028-537x356.jpg[/img]

Eight years earlier, David hadn't heard of Ecuador's oil pollution, much less set foot in the country. For his sixth-grade final project, David was assigned a random Latin American country to study; he focused on the cultural and environmental diversity of Ecuador. Through his research he learned about a lawsuit against the oil giant ChevronTexaco, then Texaco. During its extraction work, the company had dumped the equivalent volume of about eight Exxon Valdezes of crude oil and associated wastes into unlined open-air pits and waters in El Oriente, the Ecuadorian Amazon, In 1993, a lawsuit on behalf of 30,000 Amazon residents was filed against Chevron, claiming they had caused $27 billion of environmental damage.

The following year, in seventh grade, David wrote a letter to Chevron advocating for social justice in Ecuador. He soon learned that his English teacher was the daughter of Cristobal Bonifaz, the lawyer who had started the landmark case. David approached her, sat atop her desk and knowingly asked, "Is this your father? Because I learned about him last year through this project that I did. I'm very interested in possibly meeting him." He had to nudge her before she would agree to introduce him, but when she did his involvement with Ecuador was forever changed.

By the age of 14, he had not only begun working with Cristobal and the researchers involved in the case, but had also founded a non-profit organization called Esperanza International to educate Americans about oil issues.

And so several years later there he was, only 19 years old, yet leading a group of students, many of them older than he, on a toxi-tour through the Amazon. He had arranged nearly the entire trip, a ten-day Alternative Spring Break. With help from his many Ecuadorian friends, colleagues and connections, he ensured that everything went smoothly: the flight from Quito over the snow-capped volcano peaks of the Andes and labyrinthine jungle to the oil town of Coca, the visits to off-bounds toxic sites and even the canoe ride to an Indigenous Secoya community where the students slept in thatch huts and ate freshly killed armadillo.

http://inhabitat.com/david-portiz-unveils-the-destruction-of-the-amazon-caused-by-oil-pollution/2/">http://inhabitat.com/david-portiz-unvei ... llution/2/">http://inhabitat.com/david-portiz-unveils-the-destruction-of-the-amazon-caused-by-oil-pollution/2/

Ya you can trust big Oil and the dupes that are the talking heads for them.

Face it EU, you hate Canadian industry and want to fail. Comparing Canada's petroleum service industries with Ecuador?? How Thomas Mulcair can you get. It's like saying because SE Asia's logging industry is destroying huge swaths of land that BC's is no different.

You're wrong again, you the hater gurl, you've proved that. Yes I can compare petroleum industries because they are the same fckin companies. So what you're saying then Shen Li is these companies have less regard for the people and the land in underdeveloped nations? Where people are not educated or empowered enough to stand up to this kind of abuse.

Well guess what? Welcome to Canada and it's gonna be different here. Every god damned person on the Planet seems to want to move to Canada. We're in the top 5 for places to live economically, socially and environmentally. That's because we won't be pushed around by anyone.

Now let's talk about corporate welfare and hand outs and tax breaks and outsourcing and bringing in cheap foreign labour and siphoning off profits and cooking the books, evading taxes, deferring taxes through shares in lieu of wages and all the other sleazy tactics employed by Multi Nationals.

Obvious Li

Quote from: "Shen Li"EU,

I was really pissed off you posted my pm to you on the main page of the white faggot forum. I always knew you were not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but I didn't know you were a slimebucket. Fair enough, you are who you are.

I forgot to delete that old sig because quite frankly I never expected your return. I forgot about you. Now that you are back I'm willing to keep old grudges over there if you are.

they wasted a good grandmother when they put nuts on that fucker...........

Romero

Quote from: "Shen Li"Incorrect, you are not looking at the life cycle of those buses. The city of Edmonton eliminated all electric buses because they were more expensive to operate and over their lifecycle did not produce less CO2 for those of you who believe everything Gore tells you.

What I would do is what you refuse to do...BE PRAGMATIC! Your rigid ideology is wasting taxpayer monies and doing nothing for the environment. There will always be public transit, including taxis I realize that. Let's allocate resources wisely and that may or may not include cuts for public transportation

Vancouver's electric trolley buses have served the city well for over sixty years. Less CO2? There are no CO2 emissions! it would be insanity to replace our trolleys with diesels.

I understand that resources need to be allocated wisely. They are. Cuts to public transportion would be madness. People need to get to work and go shopping. And what about seniors, students, the disabled...

Rambo Wong

Quote from: "Shen Li"EU,

what a bllsht response, you change what people post because you're petty...a hater...don't do to well with opposing views, and you never will grow a set of balls, them's the facts...again

Shen Li is all bllsht as she has been going humpty hump with the big caucs. She is a self hating banana bitch who doesn't care about her Chinese heritage.