The best topic

Replies: 10406
Total votes: : 4

Last post: September 21, 2024, 09:47:30 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Herman

BC Tailings Pond Spills Millions Of Litres Into Lake

Started by Anonymous, August 05, 2014, 09:43:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 3 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Anonymous

^ That's just it Romero, a picture of a broken berm means nothing. It just means someone caught an interesting image. I could post pictures of a plane crash, a dam breaking, the Alberta floods, the Saskatchewan floods, but that doesn't tell the real story, so here it is.

QuoteIt's criminal negligence.

It is, but the Williams Lake Indian Band is partly to blame. They opposed issuing the permit that would have allowed Mount Polley to use Hazeltine Creek for the excess water they use.

QuoteImperial Metals stock plunged 40% today too.

Well yeah, who do you think is going to pay for the pricey clean-up? As I said, this is only a disaster for the mine employees and Imperial Metals shareholders.

Quote10 billion litres of toxic water contaminating several lakes, creeks and rivers

Where is your proof that lakes, creeks and rivers are contaminated? According to Imperial Metals themselves the tailings water(not the solids) were alkaline. However, it still isn't clear how much of a risk the spilled tailings pose.

Quotedrinking water and water-use ban

Standard practice. We had a fairly long one in Alberta after the floods of 2013. Imperial is getting potable water to people until they can get concrete readings for the water.

Quoteregional state of emergency

An international one for Imperial Metals and their employees. The biggest problem is going to be those huge beaver dams floating on the river. They will be hard to stop and could do a lot of damage to people living along riverbeds.

Again, nobody dead, nobody injured, nobody sick, where is the disaster? Again, a disaster for Imperial Metals, but not so much for British Columbians.

RW

Quote from: "Shen Li"
Quote from: "Real Woman"When said tailing ponds leech into creeks and rivers.  DERP.

Search the media you love so much for fines on mining/smelting corps.

In other words, you just suspect it, no science? I would be more concerned about air pollution from pulp and paper mills like the one in Pictou, Nova Scotia that have real measurable air and/or water pollution.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/locals-fume-over-pictou-pulp-mill-emissions/article19909917/">http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/nat ... e19909917/">http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/locals-fume-over-pictou-pulp-mill-emissions/article19909917/

Sweetie, I've lived it.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "Real Woman"
Quote from: "Shen Li"
Quote from: "Real Woman"When said tailing ponds leech into creeks and rivers.  DERP.

Search the media you love so much for fines on mining/smelting corps.

In other words, you just suspect it, no science? I would be more concerned about air pollution from pulp and paper mills like the one in Pictou, Nova Scotia that have real measurable air and/or water pollution.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/locals-fume-over-pictou-pulp-mill-emissions/article19909917/">http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/nat ... e19909917/">http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/locals-fume-over-pictou-pulp-mill-emissions/article19909917/

Sweetie, I've lived it.

When did the doctor diagnose you with cancer and who identified the culprit as either pollution from pulp mills or old tailings ponds? The latter must know something beyond a shadow of a doubt that his peers do not.

RW

This aside for a second, why are you defending such a spill as being something without serious consequence?  Do you really believe it?
Beware of Gaslighters!

Romero

Quote from: "Shen Li"It is, but the Williams Lake Indian Band is partly to blame. They opposed issuing the permit that would have allowed Mount Polley to use Hazeltine Creek for the excess water they use.

Oh sure, let's partially blame the band for not wanting their creek contaminated with toxic heavy metals. And we'll partially blame Quesnel Lake residents for not allowing the company to dump all that toxic crap into their lake too.

There was a deal. Imperial Metals said they needed a tailings pond of a certain size and it would be safe. But it would never be enough. They needed more and more water, more and more waterways to dump their crap into, and a larger and larger toxic pond. When would it be enough? Never.

The company never gave a single thought about scaling back to deal with all the toxic water it was producing. Spend a few bucks on the problem? Ha! If they can't just dump it into our waterways for free, they'll just keep going and hope for the best!

Regardless of whether they should have been allowed to freely contaminate a creek that's not theirs, it in no way excuses what happened. They were warned plenty. There are regulations and laws.

We'll see how bad it'll be over the years. There's no way they're going to clean up this mess. Imperial Metals will probably go bankrupt and magically disappear. A handful of people who became rich off of this mine will be doing just fine though.

Anonymous

We talked about this over lunch yesterday at work..

We have concluded there is no comparison to what happened in BC and the flooding in Southern Alberta..

We not only had a drinking water ban, we had a shortage of drinking water while the people in BC are getting water delivered to their houses..

Which reminds we had to abandon our houses and when we returned, they were badly damaged in many cases..

They are waiting for tests of their water, but we had sewage in our houses..

We had damaged bridges, roads, public buildings and C Train lines..

We also did not have a company to pay for clean up and inconveniences like the people in BC do..

For many people here, our lives have not returned to normal and it may never happen..

The most dreadful tragedy of ur floods last year was that four people died..

It looks visually unpleasant for the people of BC, but we wish that was our first concern during our floods.

Anonymous

I should not say oh well about what happened in BC..

It may turn into something very bad, but it has not happened yet and hopefully it does not either..

I just happened to have went through a real disaster last year..

That word is not used lightly after what we experienced in Southern Alberta.

RW

I'm sorry to hear that happened to you Fash.  It was a disaster indeed.  Mother nature can be a cruel mistress.

As unfortunate as that is, it doesn't negate the effects of needless and preventable chemical spills.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Obvious Li

Quote from: "Fashionista"I should not say oh wellabout what happened in BC..

It may turn into something very bad, but it has not happened yet and hopefully it does not either..

sorry fash....but RW and her friends don't want to hear about your problems.....they only give a shit when there is an opportunity to stick it to big oil, big mining, any big corporation.....if it can't make page one in the Huff post...not interested

RW

I'm glad Fash shared her story.  I would like to hear more about it actually.

But Munday, I grew up around mining.  I know the shit that goes on with it and it's a lot uglier than sewage in your basement.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Romero

Quote from: "Fashionista"I should not say oh wellabout what happened in BC..

I'm terribly sorry, I was in no way implying that this compares to last year's flood.

I believe this BC spill may be a regional disaster. What happened in Alberta was a huge disaster. A catastrophe.

Romero

Quote from: "Obvious Li"sorry fash....but RW and her friends don't want to hear about your problems.....they only give a shit when there is an opportunity to stick it to big oil, big mining, any big corporation.....if it can't make page one in the Huff post...not interested

There was huge concern with RW, me, BC'ers and all Canadians. We know it's one of Canada's greatest disasters.

I and many others showed our concern and were glued to the news. Everyone who has suffered are our fellow Canadians, neighbours, relatives and friends.

The floods made the front page and top story of The Huffington Post every day.

BC has given a lot of concern, help and donations.

So now BC has a little problem if that's okay with you. Yeah, it is the mining company's fault. They spilled it.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Romero"
Quote from: "Obvious Li"sorry fash....but RW and her friends don't want to hear about your problems.....they only give a shit when there is an opportunity to stick it to big oil, big mining, any big corporation.....if it can't make page one in the Huff post...not interested

There was huge concern with RW, me, BC'ers and all Canadians. We know it's one of Canada's greatest disasters.

I and many others showed our concern and were glued to the news. Everyone who has suffered are our fellow Canadians, neighbours, relatives and friends.

The floods made the front page and top story of The Huffington Post every day.

BC has given a lot of concern, help and donations.

So now BC has a little problem if that's okay with you. Yeah, it is the mining company's fault. They spilled it.

[size=150]BULL FUCKING SHIT!![/size]

Nobody dead, injured, sick, no homelessness, power still in use, we don't even know any effects on water supplies and yet you have declared it a disaster?? Get some proof first and then we'll talk. You obviously don't what a disaster is. This was an extremely rare event that you can thank your government and Williams Lake Indian Band for that has had minimal impact on humans or wildlife.

As I said, it is a disaster only for Imperial Metals, their employees and shareholders. You are probably just giddy about this.

Fash,

The Alberta floods last year are actually comparable to this. The effects of the Alberta floods sent debris floating everywhere....things like houses for example. The force of the breach in BC scoured away the banks of Hazeltine Creek and sent debris flowing into Quesnel Lake and Polley Lake, which rose 1.5 metres. It was a much smaller scale than the Alberta floods of course, this breach had the same effects as a little flood.

Romero

Quote from: "Shen Li"http://globalnews.ca/video/1497872/exte ... e-disaster">http://globalnews.ca/video/1497872/extended-aerials-of-mount-polley-mine-disaster[/url]

There doesn't have to be death for something to be called a disaster.

RW

Why are we comparing disasters like they are comparable?  One does not negate the other.  GEDDIT?  A spill in BC doesn't make less of a flood in Alberta.

Stop being retarded.
Beware of Gaslighters!