The best topic

Replies: 10391
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 08:25:17 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Aryan

Computer inquiry

Started by Obvious Li, October 23, 2012, 01:59:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Obvious Li

as some of you may know i am semi-illiterate when it comes to computers....now i have a question for the resident computer guru`s on here.....i bought a new HP laptop about a year ago....it has the following bad habit

on the keyboard are several blue symbols associated with a particular key.....when i boot the computer up it is in it`s normal mode and works fine. However, invariably when i am typing i must accidentally hit whatever key is required to take it out of normal mode and into the mode where the blue keys take over so that when i hit the question mark key it shows as éééééééÉÉÉÉÉÉ ..... or the quotation key becomes `````````````etc. i cannot seem to figure out which key activates this change so i can avoid hitting it or if i do get it to revert back to normal mode.....the only way i can do it now is to log out and log back in and it is normal again....seriously i have tried every key and combination i can think of with no success.....the fix is probably simple but it presently escapes me...your help would be appreciated

Obvious Li

are you folks telling me that none of you are smarter than me on a computer...or are you IGNORING my issue...... lol

Securious

Guess what Obvious I am as dumb as you.. I admit to being a Neo-Luddite. So when it comes to technical matters such as yours I am in the dark too. Somebody pls help this poor person in  dire distress immediately before the big one happens!

cc

I saw you message, did have it happen for a while a few months ago - but couldn't remember the cause / cure

1. If you are referring also to a character continuing as part of the problem, Then Eurika!!!! I just rememberedddddddddddddd.

A key was stuck in the down position - cleaned my keyboard and voila!! - fixed - A dirty OR screwed up keyboard will do this, just as if you had held a key down

2. As to a key that changes other keys, look for the "FN" key maybe? - or another "not usual looking" / not a usual character"  key. When it happens, just press that key to change it back.

You can get online manuals for any computer with a search of internet by brand & model # - go to keyboard area and it will tell you any keys that are designed to do what you describe (change key operation)
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Obvious Li

thx all will continue playing with it to see if i can find the secret code