Replies: 10406
Total votes: : 4

Last post: September 21, 2024, 09:47:30 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Herman

A

Uni Degrees That Are Not Worth The Time/Money

Started by Anonymous, October 02, 2014, 01:52:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 3 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Anonymous

It's a US list, but the same would apply here.

Methodology

To calculate ROI for a specific degree, we first determined the overall cost of the degree. We allowed the degree holder four years to graduate. Using data from a recent College Board study, we assigned a figure of $37,343 as an average cost of a four-year public liberal arts degree, and a figure of $121,930 for degrees earned at four-year private colleges. The total cost included tuition, room and board, and books, and did not factor in scholarships or grants. We then determined the median cash compensation over the course of 30 years of typical jobs requiring that degree using Salary.com data. We used current Salary.com figures, but added 4.3% per year to account for inflation and cost of living increases. To determine ROI, we subtracted the cost of the degree from the gains over 30 years, then divided that figure by cost.

1. Communications

You'd think the ink-stained newsrooms and TV studios are full of wealthy and famous journalists. Not quite. Although these skills require lots of education and training, they buried the lead regarding the lack of payoff. Check these communications jobs out:

COPYWRITER

Median Salary: $52,549

30-Year Earnings: $3,099,338

ROI of Degree Earner Attending Public College: 82%

ROI of Degree Earner Attending Private College: 24%

NEWS REPORTER

Median Salary: $37,393

30-Year Earnings: $2,205,438

ROI of Degree Earner Attending Public College: 58%

ROI of Degree Earner Attending Private College: 17%

MARKETING COORDINATOR

Median Salary: $50,455

30-Year Earnings: $2,975,834

ROI of Degree Earner Attending Public College: 79%

ROI of Degree Earner Attending Private College: 23%

2. Psychology

We're starting to notice an unfortunate trend regarding doing work for others with minimal pay. Maybe you can get inside the head of someone influential and find out why workers in this field don't get paid more for these jobs:

HUMAN SERVICES WORKER

Median Salary: $22,738

30-Year Earnings: $1,341,086

ROI of Degree Earner Attending Public College: 35%

ROI of Degree Earner Attending Private College: 10%

CAREER COUNSELOR - HIGHER EDUCATION

Median Salary: $43,384

30-Year Earnings: $2,558,787

ROI of Degree Earner Attending Public College: 68%

ROI of Degree Earner Attending Private College: 20%

BEREAVEMENT COORDINATOR

Median Salary: $52,200

30-Year Earnings: $3,078,754

ROI of Degree Earner Attending Public College: 81%

ROI of Degree Earner Attending Private College: 24% ac_unsure

3. Nutrition

It's hard work making sure everyone else eats right, preparing nutritious meals and/or checking to make sure the nation's food supply is up to snuff. But all that hard work and education necessary to land this job might not turn a huge profit.

DIETICIAN

Median Salary: $53,679

30-Year Earnings: $3,165,985

ROI of Degree Earner Attending Public College: 84%

ROI of Degree Earner Attending Private College: 25%

FOOD SERVICES MANAGER

Median Salary: $56,711

30-Year Earnings: $3,344,813

ROI of Degree Earner Attending Public College: 89%

ROI of Degree Earner Attending Private College: 27%

FOOD SCIENTIST

Median Salary: $64,019

30-Year Earnings: $3,775,838

ROI of Degree Earner Attending Public College: 100%

ROI of Degree Earner Attending Private College: 30%

4. Hospitality/Tourism

You're the wizard behind the curtain. The one who's working like a dog to make it all happen while everyone else is enjoying the fruits of your labor. Unfortunately, there isn't always a lot of financial benefit after earning your degree. Here are three commonly held hospitality jobs:

MEETING/EVENT PLANNER

Median Salary: $55,476

30-Year Earnings: $3,271,972

ROI of Degree Earner Attending Public College: 87%

ROI of Degree Earner Attending Private College: 26%

HOTEL RESIDENT MANAGER

Median Salary: $65,076

30-Year Earnings: $3,838,180

ROI of Degree Earner Attending Public College: 102%

ROI of Degree Earner Attending Private College: 30%

CATERING MANAGER

Median Salary: $42,533

30-Year Earnings: $2,508,595

ROI of Degree Earner Attending Public College: 66%

ROI of Degree Earner Attending Private College: 20%

5. Religious Studies/Theology

Talk about finding your calling. While devoting your life to the church and dedicating your life to the service of others is laudable, it's not going to leave you with a lot of profit after you earn your degree. Here are three commonly held jobs theological jobs:

RELIGIOUS EDUCATOR

Median Salary: $47,957

30-Year Earnings: $2,828,502

ROI of Degree Earner Attending Public College: 75%

ROI of Degree Earner Attending Private College: 22%

CHAPLAIN -- HEALTHCARE

Median Salary: $51,127

30-Year Earnings: $3,015,174

ROI of Degree Earner Attending Public College: 80%

ASSOCIATE PASTOR

Median Salary: $61,811

30-Year Earnings: $3,645,610

ROI of Degree Earner Attending Public College: 96%

ROI of Degree Earner Attending Private College: 29%

Anonymous

6. Education

Ah teaching. One of the noblest professions. And while it stands to reason we'd pay great sums to the chosen few who shape the minds of future generations, it doesn't quite work out that way. Here are three commonly held jobs in education:

DAYCARE CENTER TEACHER

Median Salary: $27,910

30-Year Earnings: $1,646,131

ROI of Degree Earner Attending Public College: 43%

ROI of Degree Earner Attending Private College: 13%

ELEMENTARY SCHOOL TEACHER

Median Salary: $52,241

30-Year Earnings: $3,081,172

ROI of Degree Earner Attending Public College: 82%

HIGH SCHOOL TEACHER

Median Salary: $54,473

30-Year Earnings: $3,212,815

ROI of Degree Earner Attending Public College: 85%

ROI of Degree Earner Attending Private College: 25%

7. Fine Arts

Artists are respected, revered and celebrated. The trick is achieving that status while they're still alive. After all, the term "starving artist" didn't come from nowhere. Here are three jobs commonly held by workers with a fine arts degree:

MUSEUM RESEARCH WORKER

Median Salary: $48,401

30-Year Earnings: $2,854,689

ROI of Degree Earner Attending Public College: 75%

GRAPHIC DESIGNER

Median Salary: $47,753

30-Year Earnings: $2,816,470

ROI of Degree Earner Attending Public College: 74%

PAINTER/ILLUSTRATOR

Median Salary: $37,819

30-Year Earnings: $2,230,563

ROI of Degree Earner Attending Public College: 58%

ROI of Degree Earner Attending Private College: 17%

8. Sociology

People who enter the field of sociology generally are interested in helping their fellow man. Unfortunately, that kind of benevolence doesn't usually translate to wealth. Here are three jobs commonly held by sociology majors (click on job title and/or salary for more info):

SOCIAL WORKER

Median Salary: $47,121

30-Year Earnings: $2,779,195

ROI of Degree Earner Attending Public College: 73%

ROI of Degree Earner Attending Private College: 21%

CORRECTIONS OFFICER

Median Salary: $39,630

30-Year Earnings: $2,337,376

ROI of Degree Earner Attending Public College: 61%

ROI of Degree Earner Attending Private College: 18%

CHEMICAL DEPENDENCY COUNSELOR

Median Salary: $47,210

30-Year Earnings: $2,784,444

ROI of Degree Earner Attending Public College: 73%

ROI of Degree Earner Attending Private College: 21%

Anonymous

If anyone encourages their kids to pursue fine arts, music or psychology they are neglecting their responsibility to their kids and society. They'll also need a better job as their kids will be living at home 4ever.

Romero

Don't follow your dreams, kids! It's only about the money!

Anonymous

Quote from: "Romero"Don't follow your dreams, kids! It's only about the money!

It will be all about the money(other people's) when dreamers know they don't live in a fantasy world.

RW

Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "Real Woman"My Arts degree looks purdy on ma wall.

That's fine RW and if you are satisfied with it, I am happy for you. However, a real profession requires a real degree. Arts degrees are fine as a hobby though.

Obvious Li

Quote from: "Shen Li"
Quote from: "Real Woman"My Arts degree looks purdy on ma wall.

That's fine RW and if you are satisfied with it, I am happy for you. However, a real profession requires a real degree. Arts degrees are fine as a hobby though.

what she ^^^^ said.....i suggest they make those degrees from softer paper.....so at least you could wipe your ass with them in a pinch....."what are  they good for...huh absolutely nothing"

RW

Considering you need a bachelor's to do pretty much anything these days, it isn't completely worthless.  

We need a serious re-vamping of the post sec education system.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "Real Woman"Considering you need a bachelor's to do pretty much anything these days, it isn't completely worthless.  

My company is always hiring. They require specific post-secondary education with accompanying professional designation. Not one of them is an arts degree though. As I said, it's alright to study arts degree courses as a hobby, but it does not lead to a profession and therefore a waste of time and money.

I'm not knocking your choices, trust me. If you are happy with your choices then I am happy for you. However, I sure am glad South Korea, Taiwan, Thailand, China and Japan want to learn English. They give Canadian English, philosophy and history majors a chance to earn a living and move out of their parents house. Something they could never do otherwise.

RW

I haven't lived at home since I was 19 so I guess my degree was good for something.  I bought it myself to boot.  

I'm not happy or unhappy with my degree.  I didn't put much effort into it and I remember little I've learned from it.  I figured it would tide me over until I figured out what I wanted to be when I grew up.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "Real Woman"I haven't lived at home since I was 19 so I guess my degree was good for something.  I bought it myself to boot.  

I'm not happy or unhappy with my degree.  I didn't put much effort into it and I remember little I've learned from it.  I figured it would tide me over until I figured out what I wanted to be when I grew up.

I have little doubt you would have made it in life with or without an arts degree. More often than not it's the person behind that piece of paper. However, a professional designation opens some really interesting/lucrative doors.

RW

Beware of Gaslighters!

Obvious Li

Quote from: "Real Woman"Considering you need a bachelor's to do pretty much anything these days, it isn't completely worthless.  

[/b]

true dat...we have had three and four year degree programs since the 1700,s...not sure why when you can be taught everything you need to know about a particular vocation in a matter of several months...the rest is just wasted time and money.....should bring back two year conscription and teach these eager minds the basic shit their parents never did...in any case going to uni for four years to drink and fuck is fun but an unnecessary waste

RW

Some you can teach in little time, some you can't but a focus on relevant education coupled with work experience is a better model IMHO.
Beware of Gaslighters!