Replies: 7872
Total votes: : 3

Last post: June 16, 2024, 11:40:29 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by DKG

Our City Drought

Started by caskur, May 15, 2024, 08:25:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

caskur

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-05-01/100-turtles-die-at-bibra-lake-amid-hot-dry-conditions/103789808

I can't stop crying and I must because crying is no use.

Finally the national news is reporting our drought that is drying up all our lakes/wetlands. Wetlands are absolutely crucial

The biggest lake close to me is Bibra Lake where dozens of long necked tortoise (only come from there and no where else on the planet) live. The Western Long-neck Tortoise..

The photos and story is on the link but our summer in Perth never disappeared. WINTER IS only a couple of weeks away and winter is no where in sight where we live.

FOR PEOPLE who don't know, I am an extreme die-hard animal lover and that includes ALL ANIMALS except sharks and crocodiles who I believe their protection is actually destroying the environment, not contributing to its preservation of other species. I am one that realizes that too many apex predators are bad for the environment but that is a story for another day.

Right now our lakes/wetlands are drying up.

Climate change might not be happening everywhere but it is definitely really bad in Perth... or maybe it's just our turn for a catastrophe... either way, there is a huge knot in my stomach continually.

I AM WORRIED.
"I think having land and not ruining it is the most beautiful art that anybody could ever want."
- Andy Warhol

Herman

Quote from: caskur on May 15, 2024, 08:25:52 PMhttps://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-05-01/100-turtles-die-at-bibra-lake-amid-hot-dry-conditions/103789808

I can't stop crying and I must because crying is no use.

Finally the national news is reporting our drought that is drying up all our lakes/wetlands. Wetlands are absolutely crucial

The biggest lake close to me is Bibra Lake where dozens of long necked tortoise (only come from there and no where else on the planet) live. The Western Long-neck Tortoise..

The photos and story is on the link but our summer in Perth never disappeared. WINTER IS only a couple of weeks away and winter is no where in sight where we live.

FOR PEOPLE who don't know, I am an extreme die-hard animal lover and that includes ALL ANIMALS except sharks and crocodiles who I believe their protection is actually destroying the environment, not contributing to its preservation of other species. I am one that realizes that too many apex predators are bad for the environment but that is a story for another day.

Right now our lakes/wetlands are drying up.

Climate change might not be happening everywhere but it is definitely really bad in Perth... or maybe it's just our turn for a catastrophe... either way, there is a huge knot in my stomach continually.

I AM WORRIED.
Western Australians are a hearty lot. You folks have seen droughts before. You will get through this.

Oliver the Second

Not just there, there's drought world wide. Mexico City is about to run out of water.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/0424--kinard-mexico-city-run-out-of-water/

Herman

Quote from: Oliver the Second on May 15, 2024, 08:40:30 PMNot just there, there's drought world wide. Mexico City is about to run out of water.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/0424--kinard-mexico-city-run-out-of-water/

This aint the first time Mexico City has been close to going bone dry.
Sad Sad x 1 View List

Oliver the Second

Quote from: Herman on May 15, 2024, 08:43:40 PMThat aint the first time Mexico City has been close to going bone dry.

They'll probably pick up the pace of shipping people to the border to ease up some pressure on the water supply.

Herman

Quote from: Oliver the Second on May 15, 2024, 08:48:41 PMThey'll probably pick up the pace of shipping people to the border to ease up some pressure on the water supply.

Water refugees.

caskur

its not just us people I am worried about. I am worried about our oblong shaped Western Australian Long-necked Tortoise or aka Snake-necked Turtle... at one stage they were on the "nearly extinct list" and after careful conservation we had some numbers up so losing a hundred is a major catastrophe. They wouldn't have been caught by foxes if the lake was full.
"I think having land and not ruining it is the most beautiful art that anybody could ever want."
- Andy Warhol

caskur

- Andy Warhol

caskur

This is what Bibra Lake should look like. It's a wetland..

And this is what it is at the moment..

- Andy Warhol