The best topic

Replies: 10385
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 10:06:23 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Erica Mena

Bangladeshi PM Sheikh Hasina resigns

Started by caskur, August 05, 2024, 12:48:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

caskur

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-08-05/bangladesh-pm-resigns-following-protests/104186664

Bangladeshi prime minister Sheikh Hasina resigns after month of protests

By Aoife Hilton with wires

• Topic:World Politics

7h ago

In short:

Bangladeshi prime minister Sheikh Hasina has resigned and fled the country after weeks of deadly anti-government protests.

Military chief General Waker-Uz-Zaman said he would form an interim government after holding talks with Ms Hasina's main opposition party and civil society members.

What's next?

Ms Hasina is expected to receive safe passage in India, having reportedly landed in the eastern city of Argatala with her sister.

Scary stuff. In a Muslim country she is the second female Muslim leader. Who would want to put up their hand to lead a country these days? No one. The world has well and truly lost its sanity. I have a bad feeling about this. Why is the paper advertising her whereabouts? Don't they know Muslims kill their perceived enemies.

"I think having land and not ruining it is the most beautiful art that anybody could ever want."
- Andy Warhol

caskur

https://www.9news.com.au/world/violence-in-bangladesh-leaves-many-people-dead-hundreds-injured-as-protests-continue/eb292718-01e0-4eb4-bb7e-ddd4d5a463e2

Nearly 100 people were killed and hundreds more injured Sunday as renewed anti-government protests swept across Bangladesh, with protesters calling for the prime minister to resign and the prime minister accusing them of "sabotage" and cutting off mobile internet in a bid to quell the unrest.

The country's leading Bengali-language daily newspaper, Prothom Alo, said at least 95 people, including at least 14 police officers, died in the violence. Channel 24 reported at least 85 deaths.

The military announced that a new curfew, including in the capital, Dhaka, and other divisional and district headquarters, was in effect Sunday evening for an indefinite period. The government had earlier imposed a curfew with some exceptions in Dhaka and elsewhere.

You know Bangadesh is a real shithole.

The west use this place to make clothing in unsafe buildings that collapse on their heads and women sew all day our clothes and they can only afford a bit of rice flavoured with a bit of chillie for dinner at night..
Informative Informative x 1 View List
"I think having land and not ruining it is the most beautiful art that anybody could ever want."
- Andy Warhol

JOE

Quote from: caskur on August 05, 2024, 01:02:57 PMYou know Bangadesh is a real shithole.

The west use this place to make clothing in unsafe buildings that collapse on their heads and women sew all day our clothes and they can only afford a bit of rice flavoured with a bit of chillie.

.....and yet Ive found the quality of clothing from there is a lot better than Thailand or China avatar_caskur caskur .

Almosy Everything I bought from China in particular always falls apart & was crappy. I dont understand how they can make almost everything so poorly over there.

At least the Bangladeshis take some pride in their work and their products are more competently made.

Lokmar

Quote from: caskur on August 05, 2024, 01:02:57 PMhttps://www.9news.com.au/world/violence-in-bangladesh-leaves-many-people-dead-hundreds-injured-as-protests-continue/eb292718-01e0-4eb4-bb7e-ddd4d5a463e2

Nearly 100 people were killed and hundreds more injured Sunday as renewed anti-government protests swept across Bangladesh, with protesters calling for the prime minister to resign and the prime minister accusing them of "sabotage" and cutting off mobile internet in a bid to quell the unrest.

The country's leading Bengali-language daily newspaper, Prothom Alo, said at least 95 people, including at least 14 police officers, died in the violence. Channel 24 reported at least 85 deaths.

The military announced that a new curfew, including in the capital, Dhaka, and other divisional and district headquarters, was in effect Sunday evening for an indefinite period. The government had earlier imposed a curfew with some exceptions in Dhaka and elsewhere.

You know Bangadesh is a real shithole.

The west use this place to make clothing in unsafe buildings that collapse on their heads and women sew all day our clothes and they can only afford a bit of rice flavoured with a bit of chillie for dinner at night..

Well, the Ganga River runs into it so no surprise there! Can you imagine being the butthole of India?

caskur

Quote from: JOE on August 05, 2024, 01:08:25 PM.....and yet Ive found the quality of clothing from there is a lot better than Thailand or China avatar_caskur caskur .

Almosy Everything I bought from China in particular always falls apart & was crappy. I dont understand how they can make almost everything so poorly over there.

At least the Bangladeshis take some pride in their work and their products are more competently made.

I don't think you get my comment...

The Bangladeshi factory workers work under extreme human rights violations.

I am not complaining about the quality of work... they are in unsafe Sweat shops.

They are over worked and underpaid.

See this is what I mean... a proper lefty KNOWS other countries injustices.
- Andy Warhol

caskur

Quote from: Lokmar on August 05, 2024, 01:21:33 PMWell, the Ganga River runs into it so no surprise there! Can you imagine being the butthole of India?

This is from a BBC ARTICLE... I can't get a link...

But a quick read of this tells you what is going on... why do they practice these vile practices?

Bangladesh is a country dependent on water. Its network of waterways, wetlands and rivers are used as a source of income, for food and hygiene for 60% of the country's 163 million people.

But Bangladesh is also one of the most polluted countries in the world. The waterways suffer from industrial chemical and plastic waste pollution.

The garment industry, which accounts for 80% of the country's exports, plays no small part in this with manufacturers still dispensing toxic wastewater from the textile dyeing process - into rivers.

But pressure from buyers is having a positive impact in the garment industry. Customers are demanding a higher standard of worker safety and lower egological impact from their clothes.

Aldi is working with their textiles manufacturers to train employees in handling chemicals and correct waste water disposal.
- Andy Warhol

JOE

Quote from: caskur on August 05, 2024, 01:36:22 PMI don't think you get my comment...

The Bangladeshi factory workers work under extreme human rights violations.

I am not complaining about the quality of work... they are in unsafe Sweat shops.

They are over worked and underpaid.

See this is what I mean... a proper lefty KNOWS other countries injustices.

Interestingly the ones who turn a blind eye to these abuses are workers or families of workers in poor countries like Bangladesh avatar_caskur caskur.

And they're actually angered when Western do-gooders intervene because they get their jobs & sometimes the only means of honest work taken away from them.

As bad as they are, many Bangladeshi women would rather work in these sweatshops than as prostitutes in brothels.

caskur

Western businesses take advantage of sweat shop workers. Westerners are still too involved in slavery for my liking.

- Andy Warhol

Oliver the Second

'Violence never solves anything'

Apparently it does.
Winner Winner x 1 View List

Lokmar

Quote from: Oliver the Second on August 05, 2024, 03:36:05 PM'Violence never solves anything'

Apparently it does.

We need a civil war in America. Bigly!!!

JOE

Quote from: Lokmar on August 05, 2024, 07:52:40 PMWe need a civil war in America. Bigly!!!

But if tharz a Civil War in America, ANTIFA might take over yer farm...Lokmeer!
Shut The Fuck up!  Shut The Fuck up!  x 1 View List

Prof Emeritus at Fawk U

Curious how these Western businesses were perfectly cool with the environmental shit fest that was going on in the past, but now, when its convenient to go woke, they are concerned about the workers and the conditions they live under.

Hypocrisy much?
Watch what you say to me or I'll mind FAWK U.

caskur

Quote from: Prof Emeritus at Fawk U on August 06, 2024, 02:08:13 PMCurious how these Western businesses were perfectly cool with the environmental shit fest that was going on in the past, but now, when its convenient to go woke, they are concerned about the workers and the conditions they live under.

Hypocrisy much?

The only thing workers are concerned about is earning enough to live on and doing so safely.

It's up to government to write the laws for that and see the environment is protected too.

Business men as a whole don't give a flying freight train about either workers or the environment UNLESS those same businessmen are into manufacturing renewables to leash on unsuspecting dupes.

If Mr and Mrs Average Middle Class person knew half the stuff that is actually going on then surely we could change our habits.

We have to change our habits without harming the olive oil. <<< metaphor
- Andy Warhol

caskur

Quote from: Lokmar on August 05, 2024, 07:52:40 PMWe need a civil war in America. Bigly!!!

Starting with politicians. They need to shake hands with celestial bodies.

Again, a metaphor.
Winner Winner x 1 View List
- Andy Warhol

Prof Emeritus at Fawk U

Quote from: caskur on August 07, 2024, 12:25:15 AMThe only thing workers are concerned about is earning enough to live on and doing so safely.

It's up to government to write the laws for that and see the environment is protected too.

Business men as a whole don't give a flying freight train about either workers or the environment UNLESS those same businessmen are into manufacturing renewables to leash on unsuspecting dupes.

If Mr and Mrs Average Middle Class person knew half the stuff that is actually going on then surely we could change our habits.

We have to change our habits without harming the olive oil. <<< metaphor

I have tried to do my research on things, but in some cases the chain of manufacturing and transport is hard to determine.  Not to mention the wages paid for the work.
Watch what you say to me or I'll mind FAWK U.