The best topic

Replies: 10925
Total votes: : 5

Last post: Today at 06:04:00 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Herman

This IS dedicated to Bastard Factory

Started by Flynn, September 26, 2024, 06:07:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 50 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

DKG

Quote from: Garraty_47 on October 16, 2024, 01:19:46 PMIt was actually the opposite of that.

Originally "flaming" just meant textually humiliating someone, usually after they had posted something incredibly stupid or simply inaccurate. A lot of academics and scientists engaged in "flaming" either in defense of particular theories/issues or to dispute/discredit them.

Then people realized "flaming" could actually be *fun* for participants and bystanders alike. Thus was born the genre or perhaps a better word is subculture of "flaming" and "flamers".

Because the people in various "flame communities" inevitably got to know more about each other over time (and often got along quite well 'behind the scenes') it wasn't uncommon to see references to personal details, often exaggerated or caricatured to the point of silliness. There were lots of inside jokes that outsiders either didn't notice at all or completely misunderstood.

But it was rare to see genuine "flamers" attack each other with personal information or to dox each other. Aside from the potential for mutually assured destruction (the target likely knows enough information to return the favor) it was also considered rude and lacking finesse.

It was a performance art; entertaining each other and the audience was almost the whole point. I mean yeah, there was an element of one-upsmanship or bragging rights or whatever you want to call it. However scorched-earth tactics and puerile insults only became a thing later, when people who couldn't do anything else shoved their way into the spaces and colonized them by making the spaces insufferable to those whose humor wasn't limited to sexual orientation and/or bodily functions.

What we have now (and have had for a loooong time) isn't "flaming"; it's a bastardization of the original phenomenon.
Alright, I get how it started. And I see how it moved away from what it was.

But, whatever one's opinion on the evolution of flaming, clearly Flynn does not have the talent to "flame" as it was intended. Hence, the repetitive childish insults about people he does not know.

Erica Mena

I don't know how you guys don't laugh at Flynn's posts. I sit here laughing my ass off. Even when they're directed at me
<t></t>

Lab Flaker

Quote from: Erica Mena on October 17, 2024, 09:40:41 AMI don't know how you guys don't laugh at Flynn's posts. I sit here laughing my ass off. Even when they're directed at me

Because he's a nerd and a biatch, and he wears a tooth-plate!
Funny Funny x 1 View List

DKG

Quote from: Erica Mena on October 17, 2024, 09:40:41 AMI don't know how you guys don't laugh at Flynn's posts. I sit here laughing my ass off. Even when they're directed at me
I can only speak for myself. I post for discussions not childish rants about total strangers on anonymous message boards.

His posts don't interest me and vice versa.

Garraty_47

A joke can be funny the first time you hear it.
It might even be funny the first ten (at most) times.
But after that it's just noise and doesn't tickle at all.

Flynn's act has been stale for years now.

I'm not saying it doesn't have appeal for those who like that particular style; I'm only saying I'd be surprised if anyone who isn't a superfan of that style considered Flynn remotely funny anymore.
Agree Agree x 4 View List

hard R

Quote from: Garraty_47 on October 17, 2024, 10:31:29 AMA joke can be funny the first time you hear it.

I'm not saying it doesn't have appeal for those who like that particular style; I'm only saying I'd be surprised if anyone who isn't a superfan of that style considered Flynn remotely funny anymore.
^This. Plenty of people before Flange had done the aggro insult shtick, Freud and I all but broke Brawl Hall with it twenty years ago when we went hammer and tongs at each other for our own amusement with back stories we had invented for ourselves. For three days straight. And the pair of us were happy for it to have gone on longer, but with board interactivity dropping to a fraction of what it had been and only the lesser respected posters (ie: "tards") attempting to gee it up further, Freud and I cut our feigned outrage and vitriol of each other short. To the relief of the forum members and the chagrin of the tards, all of whom had imagined the fight to be real and not simply what it was... a bit of entertainment.

I've engaged in similar spats over the years since, they typically run for a couple of weeks at most before it gets retired because with only a couple of notable exceptions my opponent and I understand it to be a game and that games get boring after a while if you don't mix it up. Flange has has been running the same act and pretending they're good at it (and being encouraged by people who would go out of their minds with rage if it were directed their way) for what... seventeen years now?

It's beyond boring and I've had better.

And if anyone that thinks that is unfair or unreasonable an assessment, they are invited to listen to the following song every hour on the hour for eight hours a day, seven days a week... for one whole month straight.

I bet most here wouldn't even make the attempt. Hell, Caskur loves that song and I doubt even she would undertake that madness inducing odyessey. But if you reckon you're cut from sterner stuff and are soooo keen to prove a point that you'd subject yourself to that mindless drivel AND still beg your local deejay to "play it again Sam" (perhaps lisping along drunkenly with the words with your mates over mojitos), by all means take the Screamo-dirge challenge.

I might be prepared to believe that some people genuinely enjoy Flange's offerings, year in, year out. Hell, there's people in this world that would gladly felch a malted chocolate milk from Mudcrack's doublewide sphincter... that's another social set I'm happy to remain a breed apart from.

--0--

Funny Funny x 2 Funny As Fuck! Funny As Fuck! x 2 View List

Erica Mena

<t></t>

Brent

Quote from: Garraty_47 on October 17, 2024, 10:31:29 AMA joke can be funny the first time you hear it.

Flynn's act is all I have ever seen him post. I am one of those people in the majority who do not find it remotely funny. It is just noise.

MrNiceGuy

Quote from: . on October 14, 2024, 01:07:19 PMSame old same old from a generation ago... well at least one poster thinks they're knocking it out of the park, even if the rest of us are yawning at it.

Any press is good press... isn't that right Flange?

Flynn is knocking it outta the trailer park.

https://youtu.be/gqbodIesnYc?si=lr-wZx_y7ScU-aE5

Flynn is kinda like Corey Taylor.  A dude disguised as another dude playing a dude talking to himself in circles and circle jerks for jerks like YOU AND ME MOTHERFUCKERS!

And god bless her little latvian soul, I'm all here for it.  Or did she say she was estonian?  Or wakandan?  Don Cheadle Effect got me like a Fish Called Hotel RaWanda.

Alms for the poor & puns for the WINNARS!

SHUT UP! -  Corey Taylor to himself... Corey Haim from the grave... Corey Feldmen singing (he has a band dont'cha know?).

MrNiceGuy

Quote from: Dove on October 14, 2024, 11:09:30 AMHey. They spent almost 10 years spamming about how they "won" that one.

Could at least pretend you believe them!

That was work!!  :laughinatu:

Dove, do your fingers taste like your vajayjay or does your vajayjay taste like your fist?

All this "flaming" is so like sightseeing the sky from a roofless bombed out Lebanon motel, that I need to be brought back down from stargazing to muffdiving and other glazing donut holed whatnots & twatwants.

Some vehicles have electronic oil level monitors.

I'm old school.

So, how deep could my dipstick dip if my dipstick could dip your waffle honey coned hairy potter chamber of pink secrets?

Or do you prefer fuchsia to lovingly describe your uterine walls of love?

*grabs another new craft brew*

Garraty_47

Quote from: Erica Mena on October 17, 2024, 01:26:19 PMYou people are party poopers

Not true!

But the first time you see a drunk party guest fall face-first through a screen door it's funny; by the hundredth time you probably just think it's stupid or don't even notice it at all.

The property damage and potential personal injury isn't the whole party... it's just something that happens *at* a party. Likewise Flynn isn't a whole forum anywhere there's a 'Flynn' account... it's just someone who happens to have an account *at* a particular forum.

Accusations of party pooping vociferously denied.

MrNiceGuy

Quote from: Frood on October 14, 2024, 04:24:07 PMThis thread needs more feetz pics and less Five Guys Mumbai foot in mouth disease...

Frood, What was your fave instrument to play in high school?

Was is the skin flute?

That reminds me, Where is that Johnny Storm faglamer hero we never knew we needed?  If he died of aids, it would be more ironic than Alanis Morissette knowing the definition of ironic before singing ironic the song about not ironic things.  Wow, I just sounded like Blandscape.  Are scottish people just irish people with more glib gibberish?

Walt Whitman meets William Wallace.  The podcast is called,  "Quartered" and can be viewed at London Bridge, Newcastle, Berwick, Stirling, and Perth.  It's a five piece masterpiece of viewtilization.

Lokmar

Quote from: hard R on October 17, 2024, 12:35:31 PM

I love that song!

The other day, I was reminded of this sack of shit song/version from the 70's. I FUCKING HATE IT!!!!

Dislike Dislike x 1 View List

Erica Mena

Quote from: Garraty_47 on October 17, 2024, 03:00:30 PMNot true!

But the first time you see a drunk party guest fall face-first through a screen door it's funny; by the hundredth time you probably just think it's stupid or don't even notice it at all.

The property damage and potential personal injury isn't the whole party... it's just something that happens *at* a party. Likewise Flynn isn't a whole forum anywhere there's a 'Flynn' account... it's just someone who happens to have an account *at* a particular forum.

Accusations of party pooping vociferously denied.

It's cunt. Always trying to make me feel stupid for thinking shit is funny.
<t></t>

Quick Reply

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
911 was an attack on what city (spell out lower case two words):
Is Alticus a dick sucking fairy? (answer is opposite of no):
Is the "D" in Django silent? Yes or No? (must be lower case):
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview