News:

SMF - Just Installed!

The best topic

Replies: 10406
Total votes: : 4

Last post: September 21, 2024, 09:47:30 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Herman

Real Woman do you know about Canada's Blasphemy Laws?

Started by Anonymous, January 20, 2015, 08:33:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Quote from: "Asian Pride"Nín hǎo

Wo hen hao, xiexie.

ac_smile

cc

Quote from: "Real Woman"What piblic interest does it serve to make fun of Mohammed?  That's the test.
No one ever asked "What public interest does it serve to make fun of an other religious person?  "

It just never came up, eh?
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Anonymous

Quote from: "cc li tarte"
Quote from: "Real Woman"What piblic interest does it serve to make fun of Mohammed?  That's the test.
No one ever asked "What public interest does it serve to make fun of an other religious person?  "

I would assume people that think Islam is a threat to the good of society would think it serves a purpose.

RW

It has come up in terms of cases of satire.  

I'm just wondering if you have an answer for Islam.
Beware of Gaslighters!

RW

Quote from: "Fashionista"Now I am confused again..

What and who defines what is ridicule and contempt?

The law does as well as the courts.  You'll also see cases in Human Rights Tribunals.

Here are some legal definitions:

Hate propaganda" means "any writing, sign or visible representation that advocates or promotes genocide or the communication of which by any person would constitute an offence.  Hatred" has been defined as a feeling of deep ill-will, an emotion that allows for no redeeming qualities in the person to whom it is directed.

Contempt suggests looking down upon or treating as inferior the object of one's feelings.

The Code defines genocide as the destruction of an "identifiable group." The Code defines an "identifiable group" as "any section of the public distinguished by colour, race, religion, ethnic origin or sexual orientation."

Here's what it doesn't cover:

An accused is not guilty: (a) if he establishes that the statements communicated were true; (b) if, in good faith, the person expressed or attempted to establish by an argument an opinion on a religious subject or an opinion based on a belief in a religious text; (c) if the statements were relevant to any subject of public interest, the discussion of which was for the public benefit, and if on reasonable grounds he believed them to be true; or (d) if, in good faith, he intended to point out, for the purpose of removal, matters producing or tending to produce feelings of hatred toward an identifiable group in Canada.

I need to take back ridicule as the Supreme court removed "ridicule, belittlement and affront to dignity" in a 2013 court decision as terms of hate speech.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "Real Woman"
Quote from: "Fashionista"Now I am confused again..

What and who defines what is ridicule and contempt?

The law does as well as the courts.  You'll also see cases in Human Rights Tribunals.

Here are some legal definitions:

Hate propaganda" means "any writing, sign or visible representation that advocates or promotes genocide or the communication of which by any person would constitute an offence.  Hatred" has been defined as a feeling of deep ill-will, an emotion that allows for no redeeming qualities in the person to whom it is directed.

Contempt suggests looking down upon or treating as inferior the object of one's feelings.

The Code defines genocide as the destruction of an "identifiable group." The Code defines an "identifiable group" as "any section of the public distinguished by colour, race, religion, ethnic origin or sexual orientation."

Here's what it doesn't cover:

An accused is not guilty: (a) if he establishes that the statements communicated were true; (b) if, in good faith, the person expressed or attempted to establish by an argument an opinion on a religious subject or an opinion based on a belief in a religious text; (c) if the statements were relevant to any subject of public interest, the discussion of which was for the public benefit, and if on reasonable grounds he believed them to be true; or (d) if, in good faith, he intended to point out, for the purpose of removal, matters producing or tending to produce feelings of hatred toward an identifiable group in Canada.

I need to take back ridicule as the Supreme court removed "ridicule, belittlement and affront to dignity" in a 2013 court decision as terms of hate speech.

That makes it a little clearer, especially part b..

I'll save this in case the subject comes up again today during lunch..

Thanks again Real Woman and have a nice day.

ac_smile

RW

Beware of Gaslighters!

Lance Leftardashian

Quote from: "cc li tarte"Against xianity, Hinduism, Jewish etc. etc. there is no limit  as to how far it goes (see most of Charly's toons for example), ... no pushback and very little static

The begged and too obvious next sentence need not even be said

I don't think freedom of speech laws were written to give Islamophobes like you a podium to hate.
I care, you pay

RW

I don't think hate laws were designed to stifle people from speaking out about the atrocities of religious terrorism either.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "Real Woman"I don't think hate laws were designed to stifle people from speaking out about the atrocities of religious terrorism either.

Yeah, well how about attention whoring? If it isn't, it fucking well should be.

cc

Quote from: "Lance Leftardashian"
Quote from: "cc li tarte"Against xianity, Hinduism, Jewish etc. etc. there is no limit  as to how far it goes (see most of Charly's toons for example), ... no pushback and very little static

I don't think freedom of speech laws were written to give Islamophobes like you a podium to hate.
OK Troll. I'm calling you.

Are you upset about the spoofs on actual religions? .. or are you selectively and only upset about comparably softer spoofs on a supremacist ideology? .... keeping in mind that most of Charly's spoofs were about REAL religions and not about islam

Lance Leftardashian

Quote from: "Lance Leftardashian"

OK Troll. I'm calling you.

Are you upset about the spoofs on actual religions? .. or are you selectively upset about comparably softer spoofs on a supremacist ideology?

I am upset with the cancer of Islamophobia. I'm upset that something like cartoons are being used as a tool to ferment hatred.
I care, you pay

cc

That was fast - Do you live here?

Gutless to answer the straightforward honest question about ACTUAL religions - figured that

Renee

Quote from: "cc li tarte"Afraid to answer the honest question - figured that

You know that one trick pony trolls can't answer honest questions. Going off script is not allowed.  ac_biggrin
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Frederick Douglass, November 15, 1867.

Lance Leftardashian

Quote from: "cc li tarte"That was fast - Do you live here?

Gutless to answer the straightforward honest question about ACTUAL religions - figured that

Islam is an actual religion. If you want to call it something else to make your hatred of Muslims easier to swallow, that makes you exactly like every other Islamophobe.
I care, you pay